Apple highlights LGBT content with special curated App Store section

Comments

• Reply 141 of 183
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I don't care if it's a free-for-all. People can have psychical relationships with as many consenting adults as they wish, so if, say, the Latter Day Saints wish include polygamy again then they should have that right just as one has the right. If you are Catholic, then that church can dictate the terms of that union. What shouldn't be allowed are situations where consent can't be given. This means that you can't create a 501(c)(3) called Descendants of Grok and then claim it's your right to beat women over the head and drag them back to your cave for marriage and copulation. That would be illegal.

I think polygamy is ready for a big comeback. In fact, this ruling provides excellent precedent.
  • Reply 142 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, Bill Gates getting others to contribute to his favorite philanthropy gives Bill Gates a return? Who knew! I always thought it was the recipient of the philanthropy that does. Silly me.....

Incidentally, there's nothing inherently wrong with activism or a call for action, per se. I really don't understand why you think that's not 'honest.'

When Bill gives publicly, it's because he is trying to provoke a response. If he get's his desired result (others donating or whatever), that's his return. That's called influence and activism. Philanthropy is giving. There is nothing wrong with activism, I just don't believe Apple should be involved in promoting social and political causes that misrepresent the opinion of the source of it's wealth.... it's customers. 

• Reply 143 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

When Bill gives publicly, it's because he is trying to provoke a response. If he get's his desired result (others donating or whatever), that's his return. That's called influence and activism. Philanthropy is giving. There is nothing wrong with activism, I just don't believe Apple should be involved in promoting social and political causes that misrepresent the opinion of the source of it's wealth.... it's customers. 

You're really serious, aren't you?

So tell me: how do you measure this return to Bill Gates? What form does it take?

• Reply 144 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think polygamy is ready for a big comeback. In fact, this ruling provides excellent precedent.

Yup, I'm building extra bedrooms as we speak. I feel so liberated.

• Reply 145 of 183
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member

And sex with animals!

Next thing, black people will be stealing your wives!
  • Reply 146 of 183
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

It really isn't ready for a comeback, but I don't care if it does, I just wish governments weren't involved in the process.
  • Reply 147 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You're really serious, aren't you?

So tell me: how do you measure this return to Bill Gates? What form does it take?

Don't get personal. I've kept this at the discussion level. I already told you what his "return" is. He moves others to action. His desire was to raise money, promote, change, motivate. People that give do it with no expectations. That doesn't make Bill a bad guy or anything it's just that he's promoting a cause publicly as a very influential person. 

• Reply 148 of 183
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    spheric wrote: »
    And sex with animals!!

1) Humans are animals.

2) Humans have been having sex with non-human animals and other objects since man has existed.

3) You'd first have to create a legal precedent that non-human animals have human rights and can consent to marriage.

4) Your ridiculous argument isn't new. It came once before when states and eventually the Supreme Court finally ruled it legal for interracial couples to be married (see Loving v. Virginia). So what you're saying is that non-"whites" and gays are somehow less than human that they shouldn't have the right to consent. Why do you think that's fair?

5) If society never made it illegal for interracial or gays to be in relationships then none of this would have been an issue for the government, but because it was already made a legal matter by bigoted jackoffs it was inevitable that this would eventually trickle up to the states and eventually become a federal case.
  • Reply 149 of 183
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    It really isn't ready for a comeback, but I don't care if it does, I just wish governments weren't involved in the process.

Actually, I wasn't being facetious. I don't have a problem with polygamy if everyone involved does it voluntarily.
  • Reply 150 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

Exactly.

I don't care that they do these things, but they need to allow the majority of us who don't want to see this content to hide it. 

• Reply 151 of 183
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member

• Reply 152 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

Don't get personal. I've kept this at the discussion level. I already told you what his "return" is. He moves others to action. His desire was to raise money, promote, change, motivate. People that give do it with no expectations. That doesn't make Bill a bad guy or anything it's just that he's promoting a cause publicly as a very influential person. 

Personal? You're the guy who started this sub-thread buy calling a whole bunch of folks -- ones who give publicly, and whose giving may leverage others to give, thereby enhancing the resources available to the recipient -- dishonest.

You've not answered a single substantive question that has been asked of you: you've evaded every one of them, including the above. 

Sheesh. What a vacuous set of posts.

• Reply 153 of 183
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/60397/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

A great day for equality in America. Pride is going to be off the hook this year.
  • Reply 154 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looking forward to perusing the "Apps for White People", "Apps for Black People", "Apps for American Indians", etc. tabs.

Apple's collectivist tendencies are really on display recently.

Scientifically speaking, same-sex attraction cuts across all racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, religious, cultural, and political lines. There is no un-touched group. People are, indeed, born with same sex attraction. It's not political—it's a matter of scientific fact.

To make people defend their existence (they certainly didn't choose to be born), or to decry when their rights are actually upheld, THAT is political.

For all the empirical information available to people in the information age, this forum often comes across as horrendously uninformed about issues of social justice. Stop researching your silly little iPad for two seconds and actually use it to learn new information about something else than your next purchase.

• Reply 155 of 183

typical...

• Reply 156 of 183
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    dbendixen wrote: »

I don't care that they do these things, but they need to allow the majority of us who don't want to see this content to hide it. 

The MAJORITY of folks don't give a shit. The minority of folks who don't want to see this content have the ability to hide it: don't open the App Store, turn on your TV, read any paper, or leave the house during Pride Month.

Life can be so easy for you, too, see?

(They have a kids' category too, which is obviously offensive to all non-parents.)
  • Reply 157 of 183
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm gonna enjoy the childish venom and tears of all the haters in this thread, as if Apples's support of LGBT is anything new.

You don't like it? Go ahead and boycott Apple, trust me, No one will give a shit or notice. Just stop threatening to do it over and over again like petulant children. Not like they're gonna change their social positions anytime soon, so stop fantasizing about that too.

Hear hear.
  • Reply 158 of 183
    richl wrote: »

A great day for equality in America. Pride is going to be off the hook this year.

What a brilliantly clever cartoon!
  • Reply 159 of 183
    emoeric87 wrote: »

Scientifically speaking, same-sex attraction cuts across all racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, religious, cultural, and political lines. There is no un-touched group. People are, indeed, born with same sex attraction. It's not political—it's a matter of scientific fact.

To make people defend their existence (they certainly didn't choose to be born), or to decry when their rights are actually upheld, THAT is political.

For all the empirical information available to people in the information age, this forum often comes across as horrendously uninformed about issues of social justice. Stop researching your silly little iPad for two seconds and actually use it to learn new information about something else than your next purchase.

I agree with you, I have been utterly shocked by many responses on AI these last few days.
  • Reply 160 of 183
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

That's a really great image.

Just when the news out of the USA seemed all about darkness and conflict, this is great stuff, and well done to Apple for making a thing out of it (even if it is for commercial purposes).  Lots of great media in that collection too.