Apple kicks off production of next-gen iPhone with Force Touch, report says

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Apple has started early production of its next-generation iPhone models that will retain 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch form factors and integrate Force Touch technology, a report said Friday.

Citing industry sources, Bloomberg reports Apple suppliers are in the midst of an early manufacturing run of the company's next iPhone models, which will bring pressure-sensitive Force Touch technology to the popular handset.

Apple first deployed Force Touch in Apple Watch as an alternative means of user input. Sensors installed around the edge of Watch's screen measure the amount of force being exerted by a user's finger, which is then translated into gesture control signals. A similar implementation made its way into the new 12-inch MacBook's trackpad.

Previous rumors claimed Apple would restrict Force Touch capabilities to the larger "iPhone 6s Plus" model, much like the current iPhone 6 Plus features exclusive optical image stabilization, but today's report suggests pressure-sensitive screens will come standard on all next-gen models.

Additionally, sources said transitioning to the new handset line should be a smooth process for manufacturers, as Apple's upcoming iPhones retain current iPhone 6 series designs. As with any new technology, however, the incorporation of Force Touch could affect display assembly yields and cause production slow downs.

Following the initial run, mass production could begin as soon as August.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55

I'm more curious on the A9 than anything; I don't think Apple can get away with a third Cyclone revision.

• Reply 2 of 55
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

But but there will be 4" version this year..., No?

BTW, I guess there're still 6/6+ for second tier and 6S/6S+ for high tier while 5S to low tier and 5C to vanish.

Apple would not worry about cannibalization of "S" version for keeping 6/6+ in mid tier because people buy 6S for performance and this year, they'll get Force Touch, no protrude/better camera (because the phone is 0.2mm thicker according to Mac Rumors), better CPU/GPU, more RAM. 

Whoever thinks Apple will discontinue 6 or 6+ because of cannibalization, think again.

• Reply 3 of 55
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Not sure what benefits force touch would bring to iPhone as there are enough screen estate to accommodate necessary UI. I am all for it if the force touch is used to improve the home button.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

Not sure what benefits force touch would bring to iPhone as there are enough screen estate to accommodate necessary UI. I am all for it if the force touch is used to improve the home button.

They have force touch on the apple watch.

• Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:

Tons of benefits. By accessing ForceTouch, Apple can create another layer of menus. Also, I would love to see the Virtual TrackPad at the bottom of the phone screen activated by ForceTouch. The virual TrackPad will allow to move a cursor around the phone screen without the fingers covering what's on the screen. 

• Reply 6 of 55

Only thing I really want is force touch to get rid of all notifications on the phone. I like that a lot on the watch and is sorely missing in iOS. Android has had a way to get rid of all notifications at one time for quite a while now.

• Reply 7 of 55
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm more curious on the A9 than anything; I don't think Apple can get away with a third Cyclone revision.

14 nm should allow them a good 20% increase in clock rate with no penalty.

My gut feeling is that we may see an Apple cell processor built into A9 along with other goodies.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Processor A9 with 14nm should bring not only performance improvement but also power efficiency, improved battery life. Stronger 7000 aluminum alloy casing should provide better structural integrity. Improved camera and additional RAM could be interesting additions. More information may get leaked out in August before September special event..
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Noooo! I want force touch to be exclusive to the 128GB iPhone 6S Plus in Rose Gold! Not for the cheapskates! /s
  • Reply 10 of 55
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    I know it'd be overkill for 99% of users, but I kinda wish they would make a 256GB iPhone version, so I could finally load ALL my music in there and ditch my well worn iPod classic that I still use every day in my car. Don't expect that to happen though.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    I suspect Apple will continue to make a 4" iPhone as long as parents keep giving iPhones to the kiddies... Tweens gotta twerk for their selfies...
  • Reply 12 of 55
    jonyo wrote: »
    I know it'd be overkill for 99% of users, but I kinda wish they would make a 256GB iPhone version, so I could finally load ALL my music in there and ditch my well worn iPod lactic that I still use every day in my car. Don't expect that to happen though.
    load your music on iCloud
  • Reply 13 of 55

(whoops, duplicate post, ignore please! where's the delete button?)

• Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

load your music on iCloud

itunes match has a track limit of 25000, my music library is too big.

• Reply 15 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jonyo wrote: »
    I know it'd be overkill for 99% of users, but I kinda wish they would make a 256GB iPhone version, so I could finally load ALL my music in there and ditch my well worn iPod classic that I still use every day in my car. Don't expect that to happen though.
    I wouldn't say that. I wouldn't be surprised if the 7 didn't have 256GB storage. It's not just music, it's ever higher resolution photos, HD videos, slow-mo, editing, and apps, lots and lots of apps, likewise growing ever bigger, especially gaming apps which is a major platform for Apple. So you'll probably get your 256GB for your music, while others will get increased storage for everything else.

I was frankly surprised they discontinued the iPod Classic before they increased the storage in the iPhone to surpass it, then again, given the considerable cost difference, it's probably moot for most iPod customers who would not likely invest the same amount in an iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    I suspect Apple will continue to make a 4" iPhone as long as parents keep giving iPhones to the kiddies... Tweens gotta twerk for their selfies...

Actually, because the iPhone 5c and 5s continue to sell very strongly. I gave a 5s as a gift, and it was well received. 64-bit CPU, slow-mo camera, Touch ID...what's not to like? I'm sure Apple got the message: there is demand for a portable phone. Remember the 1990-2005 era when mobile phones got smaller, lighter, and more pocket-friendly with every new generation? What ever happened to that?
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Actually, because the iPhone 5c and 5s continue to sell very strongly. I gave a 5s as a gift, and it was well received. 64-bit CPU, slow-mo camera, Touch ID...what's not to like? I'm sure Apple got the message: there is demand for a portable phone. Remember the 1990-2005 era when mobile phones got smaller, lighter, and more pocket-friendly with every new generation? What ever happened to that?

Uh, people started to actually use their phones for more than calls. :)

• Reply 18 of 55
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

It lets every button have two functions, one where you soft press and one where you hard press. Whether you want to do that or not depends on whether it would result in an intuitive GUI of course, e.g. a fast-forward button where a soft press goes forward at 2x speed and a hard press goes forwards at 4x speed would be quite intuitive.

• Reply 19 of 55
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The phones became computers

• Reply 20 of 55
    bradmacprobradmacpro Posts: 121member
    With the timing of the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and Force Touch on the Apple Watch extending to the MacBook and MacBook Pro trackpads and now the next iPhone, the ad campaign must be "May the Force be with you." Right? I can't be the only one thinking about this coincidence. Macs and Star Wars fans - who else stands in line for hours. LOL Product shot with the Apple Watch, iPhone and the MacBook and iMac with new Force Touch Magic Trackpad. And underneath the tag line. The Force has always been powerful in my family.