did the nytimes say ibm is making the G5?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/04/technology/04CHIP.html"; target="_blank">NY times article</a>

this article mentions intel's 64 bit processer and it mentions that it will have to compete with ibm's 64 bit powerpc. does that mean ibm is making the G5? or is it a different version of powerpc that ibm makes for their servers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Isn't it the Power3?

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    wtf, you have to register with the NY times now. What a ****ing joke.

Anyway, they certainly mean the POWER series of chips, which are PowerPC, but 64bit and have been for a while, the Power3 and 3+ are 64bit too, afaik.

However, that does not mean IBM won't be making the "G5" too. I'ts possible.

G-News
  • Reply 3 of 7
    in the article is does say powerpc but i was thinking it might be their server processers but the nytimes register is free.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?????????????????????

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Here's some spare punctuation to help make your sentences more understandishable.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>.......................................... ......

?????????????????????

Here's some spare punctuation to help make your sentences more understandishable. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's one of the only posts I've ever actually laughed at here on AI. Thank you Outsider.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I think that article is talking about the 750FX, which is a 750(G3) derivative.

As to Moore's "law", he originally only guessed that it would continue through 1975. He didn't say anything after that, but due to process shrinks and microarchitecture tweaks it has remained basically true -- transistor count has roughly doubled every 18 months or so for more than 35 years. There are few indications that it can't continue for at least a few more years.

Intel has made some noise about producing processors by 2007 that have 1 Billion transistors, but these will likely be IA64 processors and not IA32 x86.

Edit: <a href="http://www.intel.com/research/silicon/moorespaper.pdf"; target="_blank">This is Gordon Moore's original paper in which the famous observation and prediction is contained.</a>

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: TheAlmightyBabaramm ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>.......................................... ......

?????????????????????

Here's some spare punctuation to help make your sentences more understandishable. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I seem to remember my Mum (who was an English Teacher) saying that either one of her friends during an exam, or a pupil did his/her essay (actually a french one), and then drew a bubble at the end, and filled it with punctuation marks. They then said to apply them at the examiner's discretion!

Now that is balls!

Dave