After crushing rival smartwatch sales, Apple Watch portrayed as doomed by CNBC

Comments

• Reply 141 of 219
    thejdthejd Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

The tone of the piece is such because CNBC is creating a negative out of thin air, otherwise know as lying. This type of click bait reporting seems to be leveled against Apple on a regular basis, and in the case of financial news is likely done to manipulate Apple stock.

Give me a break.  There have been many, many other anti-Apple articles in recent years.  The most notable ones being "poor" working conditions in China.  I didn't see very many commenters writing from a standpoint of being offended.  And manipulating stock happens all the time to many different stocks.  The reason why so many are upset here is because someone, even if unfounded, is presenting a possibility that the Apple Watch is unsustainable and unneeded; a product category that has been around for a while, that no reinvention (i.e. iPhone vs. flipphone/Blackberry) could make more usable.

• Reply 142 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thejd View Post

Give me a break.  There have been many, many other anti-Apple articles in recent years.  The most notable ones being "poor" working conditions in China.  I didn't see very many commenters writing from a standpoint of being offended.  And manipulating stock happens all the time to many different stocks.  The reason why so many are upset here is because someone, even if unfounded, is presenting a possibility that the Apple Watch is unsustainable and unneeded; a product category that has been around for a while, that no reinvention (i.e. iPhone vs. flipphone/Blackberry) could make more usable.

Your original comment specifically addressed the tone of the article.  This isn't just a response to a negative spin article, it's unsubstantiated crap made out of whole cloth.  Why shouldn't cheats and liars be pointed out as cheats and liars.  The author, DED, has articles like this pointing out the lies of business journalists more than once a month.  If you've had an AI account for a few years and never read one of those articles you were really avoiding the site pretty consistently.

• Reply 143 of 219
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thejd View Post

Please, please tell me how you could construe CNBC's portrayal of the Apple Watch as anything other than click-bait?  From the only 70 people lined up at launch, which I have to question which "launch" it was given the initial launch didn't have Watches in store and now that they're just starting to hit stores, it's after a month of people already having time to order online, to the blatant lies and selective quoting that the other "reporter" told.  Either CNBC is purposely trying to make Apple look bad because it drives viewers or they have a serious lack of journalistic integrity and editorial review.  It's no different than when Apple posts record breaking financial results and they suggest that Apple is in decline and surely the next quarter will be a negative...

And as far as the news about Apple vendor partners poor working conditions, it's true that given Apple's stature, they should be held accountable for things like this, but we're certainly not hearing the same news reports about Samsung, or Motorola or any of the other electronics giants who use the same and similar manufacturers, are we?  Of course we're not, because those other companies are not as polarizing as Apple is.

Apple may indeed not see the same success with Apple Watch as they have with the iPhone, and I'm one of those people that can't justify the purchase (mostly because I love my Seiko Automatic too much to want to not wear it), but reporting it as what seems to be a total failure when in fact Apple has likely sold more Watches in the first 2 months than all other manufacturers combined sold in the past 18 months is quite clearly selective and misleading click-bait news.  I also believe that Apple's launch of the Watch was a complete cluster and it's going to take time for them to make up for the mess.  And as others have noted, just like it took time for developers to create apps for the iPhone that further drove sales, the same is going to be true for the Watch.

• Reply 144 of 219
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pogo007 wrote: »
    I've been a little disappointed in Apple since Steve Job's died. Steve had a eye for what works and what doesn't. Same for the Walt Disney company, I loved disney but when Walt died the company suffered lack of innovation which took more than 10 years to recover. I own a Mac consultation business and believe me I know what I'm talking about more than 70% of you guys on here. My corporate customers are starting to worry about the direction Apple is going.

Jobs was excellent but not without mistakes. In fact I'm still rocking the iPod HiFi and MobileMe.
    thejd wrote: »
    Nobody has yet to make a wearable device that is actually useful.
    ...for you. You do not represent everyone.

Without a frickin laser beam the watch is useless.
  • Reply 145 of 219
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFire1 View Post

People still watch CNBC?

Maybe those are the people that used to really watch the complete crap that is MSNBC!!!  Now they're at CNBC.

• Reply 146 of 219
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

I think Apple makes nice computers and adequate phones (sad that no one else is better) but the watch is silly.

Let's see a digital watch that relies almost exclusively on a charged compatible phone nearby for most of its functionality. You're dependent upon Apple for basic servicing and battery replacement and beholden to them for activation. Talk about lock-in! The iPhone is bad enough. The watch is a throwaway and in no means a fully independent device capable of functioning on its own without approval from Apple.

Then you have to change the thing nightly for it to even work. Digital watches were a fad in the 80s and then everyone stopped buying them cause they were stupid and ugly.

The Apple watch may not be doomed but I'd judge anyone I saw wearing one negatively. They're not cool in the slightest. Apple is no longer cool. They don't even look cool.

At least an 80s digital watch has retro appeal. Maybe the Apple watch will in 30 years but certainly not now.

Have you heard, You're on your Desktop Computer for Hours, your Smartphone for Minutes and your Smart Watch for Seconds.  Do you understand what this means?

Apple Watch works pretty much the same way as a Android Watch.  They rely on a phone near by.  A Smart Watch is not a phone replacement.   Who wants to spend more then a few seconds on a Smart Watch and it's tiny screen?   Just like who wants to spend hours on their Smartphone making out a 100 page report?  

A Normal Analog Watch does one thing, Tell you the time.  Yet people can spend over a million+ on one!!!  A Apple watch is a accessory to your phone.  You spend less time grabbing it and seeing what the latest Text you got.  Is it worth pulling out your phone or ignoring it? Which since I don't have a Apple Watch, I just had to pull out my phone and see what buzzed me.  

If you buy a Android phone, you're as you say locked in!  if you buy a Windows phone or a Blackberry phone, you are in fact just as much locked in!!!  You are dependent on them for any repairs.  Generally since most of them don't have their own stores all over, it's take your device to some 3rd party place and hope you can get it fixed their and it'll get fixed right.  I've never had much luck going that route.

Trying to compare so so called Digital Watch in the 80's to a Digital watch now is laughable.  I can't believe you even tried that one.

• Reply 147 of 219
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member

Wall Street must secretly hate Apple. No, they won't say it while Apple is the most successful company in modern times by many measures, but consider what Wall Street did to JetBlue: analysts tearing it down for overly brand-conscious and customer-focused" service. They explicitly wanted JetBlue to be as miserable a customer experience as other airlines so it would be more profitable.

What Wall Street wants is for companies to extract maximum profit by making products and services that customers tolerate, not love. If customers love it then they're being given too much. Wall Street is only about greed. ONLY about greed.

• Reply 148 of 219
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    It's the Titanic all over again, with Apple Watch being the ice berg.
  • Reply 149 of 219
    pogo007pogo007 Posts: 43member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Jobs was excellent but not without mistakes. In fact I'm still rocking the iPod HiFi and MobileMe.
    ...for you. You do not represent everyone.

Yes I agree Steve had his failures but very early on in his career. As for the watch I think the greatest disappointment is that the watch cannot be used on its own it needs to be tethered to a iphone to be useful. There's a argument out there that says your watch just tells the time, we'll that's true if I'm at a meeting I can discreetly look at the time without being sucked in to other notifications I guess that's still the main advantage of a traditional watch.
  • Reply 150 of 219
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

that CNN article is just one more hack-written click-bait trumped-up hit piece. there've been thousands of these about Apple stuff over the years - so many the Macalope makes a steady living from laughing at them.

it comes with being #1.

• Reply 151 of 219
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    brakken wrote: »
    It's the Titanic all over again, with Apple Watch being the ice berg.

Yup the Titanic is the existing non-Apple smart watches.
    pogo007 wrote: »
    Yes I agree Steve had his failures but very early on in his career. As for the watch I think the greatest disappointment is that the watch cannot be used on its own it needs to be tethered to a iphone to be useful. There's a argument out there that says your watch just tells the time, we'll that's true if I'm at a meeting I can discreetly look at the time without being sucked in to other notifications I guess that's still the main advantage of a traditional watch.

Because the Apple watch will never change. The greatest disappointment in the iPod was that it was Mac-only. What a failure.
  • Reply 152 of 219
    thejdthejd Posts: 37member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Please, please tell me how you could construe CNBC's portrayal of the Apple Watch as anything other than click-bait?  From the only 70 people lined up at launch, which I have to question which "launch" it was given the initial launch didn't have Watches in store and now that they're just starting to hit stores, it's after a month of people already having time to order online, to the blatant lies and selective quoting that the other "reporter" told.  Either CNBC is purposely trying to make Apple look bad because it drives viewers or they have a serious lack of journalistic integrity and editorial review.  It's no different than when Apple posts record breaking financial results and they suggest that Apple is in decline and surely the next quarter will be a negative...

Apple may indeed not see the same success with Apple Watch as they have with the iPhone, and I'm one of those people that can't justify the purchase (mostly because I love my Seiko Automatic too much to want to not wear it), but reporting it as what seems to be a total failure when in fact Apple has likely sold more Watches in the first 2 months than all other manufacturers combined sold in the past 18 months is quite clearly selective and misleading click-bait news.  I also believe that Apple's launch of the Watch was a complete cluster and it's going to take time for them to make up for the mess.  And as others have noted, just like it took time for developers to create apps for the iPhone that further drove sales, the same is going to be true for the Watch.

This is where the logic in this debate falters because there are really two debates being had.  One is the viability of the Apple Watch itself (which no numbers have been released yet so its impossible to know), the other is the inherent question of the future of the given state of the entire wearables category.  My opinion, shaped by the following two thoughts, addresses the latter because "click bait" articles do not exist unless there is some element of truth to it.  First, conceptually, I think the current acceptance of the wearable category is too simple, technology for technology's sake.  Second, regarding the "smart" watch specifically, unless absolutely necessary due to employment or desired for status, has been largely rejected by the common consumer.  Lastly, there is no attempt on my part to compare the Apple Watch to the iPhone as far as sales go.  I can compare buzz though, and not in the form of long lines, but just in the excitement of everyday personal reaction.  Outside of forums such as these I just do not hear of anyone clamoring to get one.  Do you?  I ask because I am curious as I do work with lots of people who could have a use for the watch but most do not have any.  They rely on their phone and computer.

I do not want to see Apple fail at a product, but there really is nothing special about the watch.  There is no technology in it that could not be introduced in other products already out there.  Haptic Feedback?  Notices to get up and move around?  Basic health monitoring?  All things that could be in the phone and or MBP (at least) already.  What is it about having a watch that tells me I got an email that is so new and earth shattering I just have to have it or eventually know I will buy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

LOL!  I have visions of Iron Man 2 and traffic jams with this.  Bring on the iCar for the latter!!!

• Reply 153 of 219
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member

There is a HUGE and fundamental difference between carrying a clock in your front trouser pocket, and carrying it constantly accessibly on your wrist. 

It is not something you can easily appreciate unless you actually wear a watch yourself. 

This difference applies to all other functionality as well, such as it proves useful over time.

• Reply 154 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

So many errors for such a short post!:

Your hero also had his failures late in his career too, e.g. the eMate, the round mouse, the Cube, and MobileMe.

And the Apple Watch is quite useful even when not "tethered" to the iPhone. Inform yourself: http://www.redmondpie.com/20-things-apple-watch-can-do-on-wifi-without-iphone-in-bluetooth-range/

Finally, the Apple Watch gives you complete control over notifications. If you don't want them, you can turn any or all off or instantly mute all of them on-the-fly with a simple gesture.

Why comment on something you clearly know nothing about?

• Reply 155 of 219
    hekghekg Posts: 7member
    I ordered my watch at 3:01am on pre-order day and I've been wearing it every single day since I received it. Even though I do like my watch I don't find myself using it that much throughout the day because I sit at a desk all day long. Everybody's use case is different.

Personally I only use it to check the time, change the temperature of my Lyric thermostat, order Chipotle with the burrito button once in a while and I usually stand up when the watch tells me that it's time to do so.

Now ... one of the things that I am liking alot is the ability to tell Siri to set reminders. This is very convenient and useful for us forgetful people.

Maybe when WatchOS2 comes out and app developers really start pumping out cool apps then I'll use the watch alot more throughout the day but it has only been a few weeks since this thing came out and it's a great first step and will only continue to get better.

Jealous haters gonna hate. F'em!
  • Reply 156 of 219
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Have you heard, You're on your Desktop Computer for Hours, your Smartphone for Minutes and your Smart Watch for Seconds.  Do you understand what this means?

Yes!

a thoughtful and accurate meme.

And the Millennials will grasp the value of an Apple Watch, it'll take some time.

...and I hope soon, since they spend too much time flicking thru IG and SC on their phones.

• Reply 157 of 219
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

So, you consider skepticism an admirable trait?

I know that the question is not addressed to me, but I do think that informed skepticism is an admirable trait.

Cynicism is not.

• Reply 158 of 219
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

CNBC digging it's heels back in on this.

Hope DED does a follow-up with them.

• Reply 159 of 219
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    atlapple wrote: »
    When I made a reservation to get one for my wife there was no line, I was able to get any reservation time I wanted and most models and bands were in stock.

first people complained that it took too long to get AW, not they claim when it's too easy? dear lord, some of you people are just too much...

For my calendar alerts and notifications it's really doesn't seem like a chore to look directly at my phone. The available apps are weak. In some cases the Apple Watch apps will not work unless the app is open on your iPhone. 

Calling a device that can do next to nothing without being paired to an iPhone a marvel is somewhat laughable.

what nonsense -- the AW can do an important thing your iphone cant -- activity tracking, which is exactly why we got ours. its a fitbit, but more. and running w/ just the AW and no big iphone is terrific. and still being able to use AW for contactless payments w/o that phone while coming back from a run? priceless.
    It's great that you are in love with yours and find it useful that doesn't mean it's going to be a technology marvel. 

its great that you are in love with trolling but that doesnt mean it isnt already a technology marvel. it is. day 1.
  • Reply 160 of 219
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    That's stretching a bit. It's selling well and it's beating others but it's definitely not what you just stated.

what nonsense. its 100% petite compared to the other smart watches, and even to many popular men's watches. it's certainly classy -- my stainless steel + leather strap looks fantastic and id wear to to any event. and to deny its a technical marvel tells me youve probably never even seen one, let alone operated one. its a very, very small computer, on my wrist, that doesnt look like complete shit. thats a marvel.