Samsung Galaxy S6 'fastest smartphone,' if using phony benchmarks and ignoring iPhone 6 real world p

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    dvoraakdvoraak Posts: 14member

This nonsense is really starting to look your average political hatchet job perpetrated by your party of choice. 

"In a video gaming performance test profiled three minutes within Asphalt 8, iPhone 6 achieved the same frame rate as Galaxy S6. Despite being slower at its native resolution, Galaxy S6 plays most games at a lower, non-native resolution to keep up."

No..... it doesn't play at a lower resolution to "keep up". It plays at a lower resolution because Asphalt 8 isn't developed for the Galaxy's native resolution. No racing game is... or most other games for that matter.

That's what made the original GFX benchmark that the Apple faithful crowed about such a fraudulent hatchet job. Gaming performance never suffers at all since the games won't play at that higher resolution. And the characterization of playing lower to "keep up" in this article just continues the nonsense.  

If you wanted fairness and accuracy, you might, repeat MIGHT make the claim that game devs won't code for that resolution because performance will suffer.... but I guess that wouldn't help you to grind that axe as thoroughly. 

• Reply 22 of 94
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frantisek View Post

Come on guys. Why to bother with one biased review? Why to give them attention/energy/publicity?

It is important to show that Tom's Guide has become a very unreliable source of information.

Tom's Guide and Anandtech were both bought by the same mega media publishing corporation.  They became corporate properties. They use to be reliable sites for balanced, unbiased reports on PC and Mac Equipment.  

However, they obviously play to the whims of their mother corporation.  And their employees would certainly fear for their jobs if they don't please their new bosses.

I wouldn't be surprised of Samsung payed Tom's Mother Corporation a substantial "advertising fee" to force Tom's Guide to bias its review toward the Samsung S6.

With Anand of Anandtech leaving to work for Apple, Anandtech's review also become suspicious since it becoming a corporate entity.

Sad. 

• Reply 23 of 94
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cropr View Post

I am aware but as an developer I don't care.

I do care about the Android fragmentation, because it increase the testing time and about the Apple App review, because it increases the lead time and does not allow me to plan my marketing activities.

As long as the phone does what it needs to do at a good performace, I don't care if the phone has  just 2 highly optimized cores  or 1000 dumb cores.  A smartphone is not an emotionial thing for me, but just a tool I use to make a living

Wow.  When a developer shows little passion it is very sad to see. 

Developers who have no emotional attachment are simply going to create poor apps.  They won't sweat the small details or  show craftsmanship that is important for iOS users. They don't give their apps love.

They also play to the common denominator between iOS and Android.  They won't optimize their apps for iOS since that would take too much work.  They do cookie cutter work.  

Unfortunately, the lack of passion for app creation easily shows.  Users feel it.   It is the difference between a Mac OS app and a PC app.   You know PC developers often don't care. You know Mac developers do care.  It is the difference between Microsoft's and Apple's developer conferences - the silence of Microsoft's and the raucousness of Apple's developer conference.

Customers feel the lack of passion in a developer's apps. 

• Reply 24 of 94
    ttollerton wrote: »
    Because I was unaware that Tom's Guide was so biased. I have relied upon them in the past for hardware reviews. Now that I know they are willing to sacrifice objectivity, I'm going to go elsewhere. On the other hand, I approach AppleInsider completely aware that they are an Apple-biased site, as they make no claims to the contrary.

Thanks, AI, for the thorough and well-researched article!

Ditto. When Toms tests video cards they run a slew of benchmarks using multiple games with multiple resolutions and different quality settings to see how they perform. This review is the exact opposite of what I've come to expect at Toms - a few carefully picked tests to come to a conclusion.

cropr wrote: »
    I do care about the Android fragmentation, because it increase the testing time and about the Apple App review, because it increases the lead time and does not allow me to plan my marketing activities.
    As long as the phone does what it needs to do at a good performace, I don't care if the phone has  just 2 highly optimized cores  or 1000 dumb cores.  A smartphone is not an emotionial thing for me, but just a tool I use to make a living

This does not make sense. You say you don't care if a phone has 1000 dumb cores? I'm curious, as a developer how are you going to write your code to utilize those cores? Because the OS/processor certainly isn't going to do it for you. So many tasks simply aren't multi-threaded and therefore will run no faster on a device with multiple cores anyway. For tasks that are able to be broken down into multiple threads it still becomes difficult to actually keep all those cores busy.

This is why Apple using only two cores, but making them faster, has a greater impact on the performance of the majority of Apps.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Wow.  So little passion.  That is so sad to see.

I would hate to buy any app you are creating.  You obviously don't give it any love.

And obviously, you play to the common denominator between iOS and Android.  You won't optimize your app for iOS since that would take too much work and you have to make a living.

Again, your apps  are bound to show the lack of passion you have. 

You misunderstood me. My point is that I do care about the features that make a phone a great phone, but I am less interested in the technology behind the features and the number crunching marketing bullshit that comes with it   

So yes I do optimize my apps for iOS (and also for Android but in a different way)

• Reply 26 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Shouldn't the site's editor noticed that?

Is this grammatically incorrect sentence intentionally ironic?  I'm guessing not which makes it even funnier.

• Reply 27 of 94
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

It is important to show that Tom's Guide has become a very unreliable source of information.

Tom's Guide and Anandtech were both bought by the same mega media publishing corporation.  They became corporate properties. They use to be reliable sites for balanced, unbiased reports on PC and Mac Equipment.  

However, they obviously play to the whims of their mother corporation.  And their employees would certainly fear for their jobs if they don't please their new bosses.

I wouldn't be surprised of Samsung payed Tom's Mother Corporation a substantial "advertising fee" to force Tom's Guide to bias its review toward the Samsung S6.

With Anand of Anandtech leaving to work for Apple, Anandtech's review also become suspicious since it becoming a corporate entity.

Sad. 

I read AnandTech regularly (primarily for the new trends in technology, such as CPUs, memory, etc.), and I don't see any bias towards any manufacturer's products. If anything, after Anand left, there have been more smartphone reviews from companies not named Apple or Samsung. Tom's Hardware appears compromised, as this AI article suggests (I don't read it regularly anymore). My other favorite, Ars Technica, has also degraded (no more Stokes and Siracusa), becoming more of a blog, while AnandTech without Anand lacks some depth in the CPU reviews.

• Reply 28 of 94
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

This does not make sense. You say you don't care if a phone has 1000 dumb cores?

Apparently, irony is unknown to you.  In terms of performance, the marketing bullhsit is totally irrelevant. When one uses the Samsung S6 and the iPhone 6 in real life, there is no real difference performance wise: both are excellent

• Reply 29 of 94
    torusofttorusoft Posts: 51member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

As developers, we care very much about performance.  I'm not sure what exactly you're getting at.  If you're unconcerned with optimization and performance, we must not be building the same kinds of software.

• Reply 30 of 94
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Who cares?

Exactly.

Oh, wait. Three people in the world do.

The remaining 100s of millions buy phones based upon: price, brand, Apple/Android hatred/love.

• Reply 31 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by formosa View Post

I read AnandTech regularly (primarily for the new trends in technology, such as CPUs, memory, etc.), and I don't see any bias towards any manufacturer's products. If anything, after Anand left, there have been more smartphone reviews from companies not named Apple or Samsung. Tom's Hardware appears compromised, as this AI article suggests (I don't read it regularly anymore). My other favorite, Ars Technica, has also degraded (no more Stokes and Siracusa), becoming more of a blog, while AnandTech without Anand lacks some depth in the CPU reviews.

Honestly no one touches Anandtechs deep dives any longer.  They stand alone which is a shame since I felt other sites used to try to meet similar standards. 

The conclusion I got was mobile performance is reaching sharply diminishing real world returns.  Even if the 6S wins all these "tests", we're getting to ms differences which is unimportant.  

• Reply 32 of 94
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    DED complaining an article is biased in a biased editorial... shucks wonders will never cease just like the links to editorials written by the author also linking to his own work and very little outside and objective evidence to back up the claims or if there is, it is so hidden by the amount of verbal it is difficult to see. But I suppose he's preaching to mainly the converted who will lap it up as the gospel.
  • Reply 33 of 94
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I wonder how much Samdung paid Tom's for the skewed review
  • Reply 34 of 94
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member

Loved your article!

I just don't understand - Google is an advertising company: why does anyone support it? Who actually loves advertisements so much?

Google also has a long an nasty history of discontinuing services rather than develop them: why would anyone think Android (depicted by a robot) think Goog wouldn't cut Android?

I really do think Goog would be a lot more profitable if it hadn't betrayed Apple at the beginning, and had focussed on making really good apps and services, but the crap which they have spewed out and failed to develop (Goog+ and Goog Maps for example) don't engender confidence. But that bridge was crossed, and I'm awating Apple to drop the axe on Goog search.

I noticed that some people are very sensitive to any negativity toward Android + handset makers, but they certainly don't hesitate to fling it in Apple's direction. I'm glad people like you and Dilger take the time and make the effort to balance awareness of what is actually going on.

Thanks! :D

• Reply 35 of 94
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    DED complaining an article is biased in a biased editorial... shucks wonders will never cease just like the links to editorials written by the author also linking to his own work and very little outside and objective evidence to back up the claims or if there is, it is so hidden by the amount of verbal it is difficult to see. But I suppose he's preaching to mainly the converted who will lap it up as the gospel.

You don't get it? Benchmarks shouldn't be biased. Otherwise they lose credibility.

The fact Sammy and other optimize its phones for benchmarks instead of real world use makes me distrust benchmarks for those companies.
  • Reply 36 of 94

As soon as you see that the author's name for the article is Daniel you know it is a slanted hit piece.  According to his world, every other company making phones and software is comprised of bumbling idiots.  Only Apple has had the intelligence to hire competent employees who make mind blowing products.  Only by sheer luck do other competing smartphones even turn on.  When you can not acknowledge any of the positives of the competition that just makes you a loud mouth blowhard and discounts everything you have to say.  The same is true for Android fans who can't see the positives of Apple.  I do find it truly amazing though that in one breath someone can trash everything about Samsung while in the other breath praise their iphone that contains Samsung components.  

• Reply 37 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

Loved your article!

I just don't understand - Google is an advertising company: why does anyone support it? Who actually loves advertisements so much?

Google also has a long an nasty history of discontinuing services rather than develop them: why would anyone think Android (depicted by a robot) think Goog wouldn't cut Android?

I really do think Goog would be a lot more profitable if it hadn't betrayed Apple at the beginning, and had focussed on making really good apps and services, but the crap which they have spewed out and failed to develop (Goog+ and Goog Maps for example) don't engender confidence. But that bridge was crossed, and I'm awating Apple to drop the axe on Goog search.

I noticed that some people are very sensitive to any negativity toward Android + handset makers, but they certainly don't hesitate to fling it in Apple's direction. I'm glad people like you and Dilger take the time and make the effort to balance awareness of what is actually going on.

Thanks! :D

Did you just say that Google has failed to develop Google Maps?  Out of all potential products they have dismissed you chose Google Maps for your argument?  Well done sir.  Well done.

• Reply 38 of 94
    btemtdbtemtd Posts: 2member
    Your an absolute faggot with no life bahahahaha check this idiot out writing a novel about how he loves sucking jobs rotten dead cock.

Actually i just downloaded geekbench 3 and multicore was 4974 and single core was 1497 . This was with many apps loaded widgets all over the place and many apps stored in RAM. You idiot you dont know what your on about just because of that stupid apparent fact you claim that geekbench results were not what users saw. Idiot i just proved you wrong.
  • Reply 39 of 94
    btemtdbtemtd Posts: 2member
    FAIL. WHAT A FOOL. I just downloaded geekbench and got 4974 MC & 1497 SC

YOU CLAIM THIS IS NOT WHAT USERS SEE YOUR AN IDIOT. I AM A USER AND I HAD HEAPS OF APPS OPEN 29% BATTERY WIDGETS ALL OVER THE PLACE AND HEAVY APPZ LOADED IN RAM. SUCK ON STEVE.JBs WEENY idiot. Lmao cant beleive you wrote a novel dam u were one of thoses geeks that got slapped in school ay?
  • Reply 40 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If you can't handle the truth you should leave and hang out in an Android forum.

Seriously.  Everything Daniel says is backed up by facts.  Facts that make you feel uncomfortable.

I've read all your posts ( 14 of them) and every single one of them is pro-Google or pro-Microsoft.  You never say anything positive about Apple.  

BLOCKED

I'm pro technology.  Not one comment I made was negative toward Apple.  I think they are a great company.  It is not my fault that you get so butt hurt over people who have not fallen madly in love with a corporation.  But your response is exactly what I would expect for someone not inclined toward reasonable and rational thought.  I am glad however you were so inclined to read my prior posts.  I thank you for your time and hope you learned something.