Apple releases OS X 10.10.4 with Mail, Photos improvements, 'discoveryd' fix

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2015
In addition to iOS 8.4 and Apple Music, Apple on Tuesday released OS X 10.10.4, making a variety of bugfixes including one solving problems caused by the infamous "discoveryd" service.

The update replaces discoveryd with mDNSResponder for handling DNS processes. Often the former would create duplicate machine names, fail to resolve device names, and produce other problems which could collectively slow down a Mac or affect Wi-Fi connections.

Other fixes improve the reliability of migrating iPhoto and Aperture libraries to Photos or syncing media with iCloud Photo Library, and stop crashes when importing Leica DNG files into Photos.

Mail should no longer delay outgoing messages, and Apple has also improved the reliability of the OS X Migration Assistant. Finally, bugs preventing external monitors from working have been removed, and Apple has dealt with an issue which could prevent a person from navigating away from a webpage in Safari because of repeated JavaScript alerts.

The OS X 10.10.4 update can be downloaded through the Mac App Store, and should be about 1 gigabyte for existing Yosemite users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Down with discoveryd! Someone needs to lose their job over that turd.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Also exciting is that it includes the trimforce command for third-party SSDs.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    konqerror wrote: »

That is very handy. No more disabling kext signing and binary modification to force it on.

Hopefully discoveryd has been ditched from iOS too, every piece of network hardware will thank Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

How do you enable that?  TRIM is still off for my third-party SSD in my 2011 iMac with 10.10.4.  

Edit: I ran trimforce enable in Terminal and said it must be run with sudo.  So I don't know the proper command string to enter.  I found an older article on 9to5mac that showed a screenshot of Terminal using the su command, but after I entered my password, it said, sorry and kicked back to the main prompt.  Some comments indicate TRIM is automatically enabled in the latest El Capitan beta.  It might be in 10.10.4 since terminal did recognize the trimforce enable command, but I am not typing in the correct string to do it.  Anyone know how to do it?

• Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How do you enable that?  TRIM is still off for my third-party SSD in my 2011 iMac with 10.10.4.  

Edit: I ran trimforce enable in Terminal and said it must be run with sudo.  So I don't know the proper command string to enter.  I found an older article on 9to5mac that showed a screenshot of Terminal using the su command, but after I entered my password, it said, sorry and kicked back to the main prompt.  Some comments indicate TRIM is automatically enabled in the latest El Capitan beta.  It might be in 10.10.4 since terminal did recognize the trimforce enable command, but I am not typing in the correct string to do it.  Anyone know how to do it?

Put sudo before the trimforce command.

• Reply 6 of 53
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The update replaces discoveryd with mDNSResponder for handling DNS processes. Often the former would create duplicate machine names, fail to resolve device names, and produce other problems which could collectively slow down a Mac or affect Wi-Fi connections.

I'll miss my Apple TV (3)

• Reply 7 of 53
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Why will you miss it?  Did you sell it?

• Reply 8 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Strange that the release notes aren't included in the article.

[B][SIZE=4]OS X 10.10.4 Release Notes[/SIZE][/B]
    The OS X Yosemite v10.10.4 update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.

This update:
    • Improves networking reliability
    • Improves Migration Assistant reliability
    • Addresses an issue that prevented some external displays from functioning properly
    • Improves the reliability of upgrading iPhoto and Aperture libraries to Photos
    • Improves reliability when syncing photos and videos to iCloud Photo Library
    • Addresses an issue that could cause Photos to unexpectedly quit after importing some Lecia DNG files
    • Resolves an issue that could delay outgoing email messages in Mail
    • Fixes an issue where a website could prevent the user from navigating away by presenting repeated JavaScript alerts in Safari

Enterprise content
    For enterprise customers, this update:
    • Addresses an issue where OS X systems bound to directory services could stop responding under certain conditions
    • Adds the ability to create mobile accounts with the createmobileaccount tool
    • Fixes an issue in Profile Manager that could allow a user to install pre-release software even when the setting is disabled

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204928
  • Reply 9 of 53
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

TrimForce Command 

• Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Not unless there's also an AppleTV update coming.

• Reply 11 of 53
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Damnit! You beat me to it!!! Was gonna be the first to proclaim that :D

I have it enabled already, KEXT signing restored, and TRIM is working perfectly!

Trim Enabler, good riddance!

• Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Why will you miss it?  Did you sell it?

It is a joke because that awful DiscoveryD would constantly rename AppleTVs adding numbers after it.

• Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Put sudo before the trimforce command.

Thank you.  I will try that.

Edit: It worked like a charm!  Tested it on my MacBook Pro 2011 before applying it to my main Mac.  "sudo trimforce enable" worked perfectly.  I stopped using Trim Enabler because any time I disabled it to install an update, it would not disable properly and got the big NO symbol and had to reinstall OS X.

• Reply 14 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    elijahg wrote: »
    That is very handy. No more disabling kext signing and binary modification to force it on.

Hopefully discoveryd has been ditched from iOS too, every piece of network hardware will thank Apple.

Could someone explain this in plain English? ????
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Could someone explain this in plain English? ????

OS X uses ktexts, Windows uses drivers. In Yosemite Apple secured the ktexts for, well, security reasons. The issue with that is that it would disable non-Apple SSD's from booting and break TrimEnabler. To get it to work you'd need to unlock the ktexts again. So for 10.10.4 and El Cap they just enabled third party TRIM support.

• Reply 16 of 53
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Ok. So how do I trim my third party ssd in my MacBook Pro 2008?
  • Reply 17 of 53
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Ok. So how do I trim my third party ssd in my MacBook Pro 2008?

I think hillstone said to run "sudo trimforce enable" in your terminal and you should be all set?

• Reply 18 of 53
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member

I really wished they had updated Photo App to allow geotagging pictures that does not have them. I was able to do that in iPhoto. Does anyone know if El Capitan has this functionality?

• Reply 19 of 53
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Thank you.  I will try that.

Edit: It worked like a charm!  Tested it on my MacBook Pro 2011 before applying it to my main Mac.  "sudo trimforce enable" worked perfectly.  I stopped using Trim Enabler because any time I disabled it to install an update, it would not disable properly and got the big NO symbol and had to reinstall OS X.

Afterwards, you should boot into single user mode and fsck the root partition. Official Apple directions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203176 ;

This will retrim the drive so you get the performance benefits without having to wait until everything is overwritten first.

• Reply 20 of 53
    imac.usrimac.usr Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I really wished they had updated Photo App to allow geotagging pictures that does not have them. I was able to do that in iPhoto. Does anyone know if El Capitan has this functionality?

I was pissed off about this too (it would have completely screwed over my vacation last year when I brought the PowerShot with me), but according to the El Capitan coming features page, it's apparently coming along with third-party editor support.