Apple's 24-hour Beats 1 radio station goes live in 100 countries with Spring King, Beck, Jamie xx

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Apple on Tuesday began officially broadcasting Beats 1, its live, worldwide Internet radio station built into the iOS 8.4 Music app intended to promote new artists and songs, enhancing discovery for music lovers.

The first broadcast was hosted by Los Angeles DJ Zane Lowe, who is scheduled to stay on the air until 2 p.m. Eastern. London's Julie Adenuga will come on at 3 p.m., while New York's Ebro Darden will take over at 6. The first celebrity show will be hosted by St. Vincent at 10.

To inaugurate the station, Lowe chose to play "City" by Manchester band Spring King. Next was the track "Dreams" by Beck, followed by "Gosh" from Jamie xx.

Beats 1 can be found through the Music app's Radio tab, and is free to all iOS listeners. Tapping on the Beats logo brings up daily schedule information. Support should reach Macs and PCs with a later iTunes update.

The service is set to operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Beyond St. Vincent, some other celebrity shows will be hosted by Drake, Disclosure, Josh Homme, Pharrell Williams, and Elton John.

Update: Beats 1 suffered a brief outage Tuesday afternoon. Services were restored in less than an hour.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    I'm hearing lots of repeated scripts on loop here. Better smooth it out pronto guys!
  • Reply 2 of 66
    eim23xeim23x Posts: 14member
    I keep getting a 403 error not loading
  • Reply 3 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I'm hearing lots of repeated scripts on loop here. Better smooth it out pronto guys!

This is something I don't like. Talk before the song, talk after, but don't talk DURING the song. Especially short little sound bites like "Always On".

Hopefully this is only during a short launch period (not the 90 days) and not permanent. Then again, I've never listened to Zane Lowe, so not sure if this is his thing or a Beats 1 thing.

• Reply 4 of 66
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

For all the talk about Apple’s servers being unable to handle the onslaught I found the update to iOS 8.4 and the signup for Apple Music went quickly and without a hitch. It all took less than 30 minutes. Good job Apple!

• Reply 5 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I noticed a lot of the songs they're playing on Beats 1 aren't available on Apple Music yet. Grr...

• Reply 6 of 66
    Is there a list of recently played songs available? I have it on in the lab at work, but I can't always jump up to see what's currently playing.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

This is something I don't like. Talk before the song, talk after, but don't talk DURING the song. Especially short little sound bites like "Always On".

Hopefully this is only during a short launch period (not the 90 days) and not permanent. Then again, I've never listened to Zane Lowe, so not sure if this is his thing or a Beats 1 thing.

Appatently it's his thing to talk while the music is playing. But I do hope they tone down the "world wide. Always on." Showing up in the middle of songs.

• Reply 8 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Appatently it's his thing to talk while the music is playing. But I do hope they tone down the "world wide. Always on." Showing up in the middle of songs.

Yeah, I could see how WORLDWIDE ALWAYS ON that would get annoying. I suppose they're WORLDWIDE ALWAYS ON just a bit excited WORLDWIDE ALWAYS ON for the launch day. Hopefully someone WORLDWIDE ALWAYS ON gets him to tone it down?

:D

• Reply 9 of 66

Yeah, I could see how WORLDWIDE ALWAYS ON that would get annoying. I suppose they're WORLDWIDE ALWAYS ON just a bit excited WORLDWIDE ALWAYS ON for the launch day. Hopefully someone WORLDWIDE ALWAYS ON gets him to tone it down?

:D

Beats 1 needs a recently played feature. Except most of the stuff Lowe has played so far isn't available to stream on Apple Music.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    For all the talk about Apple’s servers being unable to handle the onslaught I found the update to iOS 8.4 and the signup for Apple Music went quickly and without a hitch. It all took less than 30 minutes. Good job Apple!
    Yes, I'm surprised how smooth everything is going.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    I'm really enjoying it.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Beats 1 needs a recently played feature. Except most of the stuff Lowe has played so far isn't available to stream on Apple Music.

Really? You checked them all out? I tried the first 3 songs he played and was able to locate all of them on Apple Music. Do you have a comprehensive list of the first songs played showing which ones are and aren't available?

• Reply 13 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

My iOS 8.4 update took 5 minutes to download and maybe 10 minutes to complete the installation. Apple Music fired up right away and seemed to work fine without any glitches (so far).

• Reply 14 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Really? You checked them all out? I tried the first 3 songs he played and was able to locate all of them on Apple Music. Do you have a comprehensive list of the first songs played showing which ones are and aren't available?

Yep, I would also like to know this list. I have a feeling it's a BS statement. 

• Reply 15 of 66
    dnyc1dnyc1 Posts: 2member
    they talk over the music to prevent people from ripping it or downloading it. especially if it's not available for download or streaming yet. they do this a lot in electronic dance music "at the drop" to prevent people stealing the song.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    dnyc1dnyc1 Posts: 2member

they do this because the song isn't available for streaming yet and avoid people from ripping or downloading the song to use for their own purposes. 

• Reply 17 of 66
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yep, I would also like to know this list. I have a feeling it's a BS statement. 

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/live/2015/jun/30/apple-music-beats-radio-launch-day-live

Playlist on there of what's played so far. You will have to scroll down a little to see the playlist. 

• Reply 18 of 66
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member

So, someone remind me, how is Beats 1 different from BBC Radio 1?

• Reply 19 of 66
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So far nothing but complaints from the AI regular crowd, no positive responses. I guess that means Apple Music is DOA and an Epic Fail juts like the critics predicted. So sad.

• Reply 20 of 66
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Love it. It's like Radio 1 but without the propaganda spewing every hour.