Everything you need to know about Apple Music, Connect, Beats 1 radio, and more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member

So, upgraded to 8.4 on my iPhone started listening to Beats1 and clicked 'add to my music' library a Weeknd song that was playing. It's available in my library on the phone but, although it shows up in iTunes 12.1.2 on my Mac it is greyed out with the status "Waiting". My guess is that it won't be available till the 12.2 upgrade, whenever that happens.

• Reply 22 of 53
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member

Here's a slight problem, especially for those on capped data plans enforced by the devil comcast: every skip instantly costs you 10 MBs of data. Skipping 100 songs a day will eat a gigabyte of your cap. Multiply that by the number of kids in the house and it's gonna start hurting even more than it already does trying to stay under that thimble full of data they give you.

Moral of the story: don't skip songs if you are routinely having trouble staying under your data cap.

• Reply 23 of 53
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    eightzero wrote: »
    The old "radio stations" from the prior version of radio appear to be gone, and you can't make new ones. iOS version only; haven't looked at OSX iTunes.

Mine were there under recently played as playlists, and I have made 3 new ones already. Are you sure?
  • Reply 24 of 53
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

Here's a slight problem, especially for those on capped data plans enforced by the devil comcast: every skip instantly costs you 10 MBs of data. Skipping 100 songs a day will eat a gigabyte of your cap. Multiply that by the number of kids in the house and it's gonna start hurting even more than it already does trying to stay under that thimble full of data they give you.

Moral of the story: don't skip songs if you are routinely having trouble staying under your data cap.

Yes, this is my concern as well. Streaming appears to be all well and good, until you consider your data plan. In that respect it *seems* to be the same as sitting on YouTube, notwithstanding the way dedicated streaming services organize and serve up content. 

I've got a 10gb data plan, but fooling around with streaming services for extended periods seems to spell trouble. 

• Reply 25 of 53
    scottjdscottjd Posts: 64member
    Ok, so I lost my music on my local drive three months ago, but I wasn't worried because I have match. Last week I decided to buy an external SSD USB 3 drive and download all my 19,864 songs just in case this launch screwed up match. From the mixed stories I see I'm glad I did.

But my only thing I can't figure out is what happens to my iTunes Radio cameraman free that came with match? Even Apple told me a couple weeks ago when I emailed support they were not sure because it's new. Anyone know what happens to this? Or is iTunes Radio gone when I upgrade and I'm forced to pay $10 a month for American free and iTunes Match separately every year. iTunes Radio cameraman free used to come with iTunes Match. iTunes Match was $25 for a year and that gave me comarcial free iTunes Radio.
    But going from $25 a year to about $120 a year ($10 a month) for no commercials seems a little extreme for using my own data on my cell plan.
    At that cost I might as well turn my satellite radio back on in the car since that's the only time I steam music and I did it for no commercials.
    Although iTunes Match did save my @$$ when my drive crashed and I was able to get all my music downloaded locally again.

One thing to note, I noticed when I downloaded all my music again that all the songs are now 256bit quality. I know for a fact that most of my music was 128 ripped off the CD's I own, so it looks like match took it upon itself to update all my songs despite me not asking. It's good and bad, one can argue they are better quality but on the other hand they take up twice the amount of space on my hard drive and same with my phone if I was to sync thm over. I guess if I wasn't suing iTunes Radio and steaming my match music it could of ate up twice the amount of data on my cell plan also.

So now I have to have my system spend cycles on converting the songs back to 128 so I can put more music on my phone if my only other option is to pay $10 a month. Not happening, can't afford that on disability.

So does anyone know for sure if iTunes Radio is still available after the update?
    If yes, is it still commercial free if you have match?

I don't think my match expires until December. If updating takes it away then I will wait until iOS 9, that I will need for my watch 2.0 OS. It was a gift to help with taking medication and watching my heart rate so I want 2.0 on the watch for sure.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • Reply 26 of 53
    napybluenapyblue Posts: 14member

Beatles MIA!

'nough said

• Reply 27 of 53
    applelcapplelc Posts: 1member

Disappointed. Was hoping a great feature of MOG might return - Artist Only Streaming.  Gonna stick with Rdio.

• Reply 28 of 53
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightbow View Post

This is such a weird launch. People around me are all asking "Wait, what's the deal with Apple Music vs. iTunes Match vs. iCloud Music Library" and after reading several conflicting articles, I can't say I'm sure now.

I think this product is confusing because too many executives are involved, and no one is willing to get rid of anything.  The new music product is, predictably, "all singing, all dancing", but it should have been "all simple".

• Reply 29 of 53
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Let's see... First, we had "Apple radio". Then, we had iTunes Radio. Now, we have Beats 1 and Apple Music. iTunes Match is thrown in there as well. This is all in addition to my own iTunes library. This is beginning to get a bit confusing for me! It seems like I have to keep chasing music because it keeps moving!

Also you need an "Apple Music Connect" account with GarageBand.

The music publishers want you to remember: you don't own the music.

• Reply 30 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Match is an epic fail when it comes to turning your old vinyl into pristine digital copies. Hope they fix that.

What on God’s green earth are you babbling about?

• Reply 31 of 53
    lkrupp wrote: »

He's talking about Vinyl, other wise know as records. This may be before your time. LOL
  • Reply 32 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I THINK he was joking...
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scottjd View Post

He's talking about Vinyl, other wise know as records. This may be before your time. LOL

I’m 65 years old and have over 500 LPs in my collection. I know what he was talking about but how can Apple Music fix this? Maybe he forgot the #sarcasm hashtag like I do sometimes. 

• Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I THINK he was joking...

I sure hope so.

• Reply 35 of 53
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I THINK he was joking...

Me? Not joking at all. Apple markets iTunes Match as a means to convert your existing music collection to digital by matching tracks you have ripped to iTunes. Once matched to the same tracks in the cloud, you can download and keep these pristine copies. What they don't tell you is that if the tracks are encoded from analog records, they rarely match. So, if your music collection contains a lot of records, forget about getting clean copies of your scratchy old tracks. They should make this very clear to potential buyers of this service. I don't know how to make it sound any less like babbling.
  • Reply 36 of 53

While we’re on this subject I can’t see any references to iTunes Match in the new iTunes 12.2 update. There used to be a ‘Store’ menu item that allowed one to turn iTunes Match on/off/update as well as control the Genius recommendations. That ‘Store’ menu item is gone apparently.

Any ideas as to what is going on? The only mention of iTunes Match is in the ‘Account’ section where you can turn auto-renew on or off.

• Reply 37 of 53

I’m 65 years old and have over 500 LPs in my collection. I know what he was talking about but how can Apple Music fix this? Maybe he forgot the #sarcasm hashtag like I do sometimes. 

Haha, I was joking. But in all honesty I did notice when using match last year that if the song is on apple library they won't upload it. Then once you have it catalogued in match you can delete the lower quality song from your local, and download the 256 bit higher digital quality version.
    So songs I did rip from LP's were matched just based off of my manual metadata input, I removed them on my drive, they still showed up on the cloud. And since apple already had this song in the cloud it didn't upload my low quality file I made, but instead pointed me to the one they already had that was a higher quality.
    Then I downloaded apples higher quality version.

I'm sure it was meant to save on bandwidth of uploading all my songs, but instead it worked out as a quick cheap way to update all the lower quality songs to hi end 256 songs.
    Maybe, just maybe that's what he was trying to do also? Of course I kept the LP's but I'm sure a day will come when my record player breaks and I won't be able to find the part to fix it. So that alone was worth the $25 for a year and gave me time to convert the other albums also, have them matched, and download a better digital copy.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I think I'll just stick with the thousands of songs I've already purchased from iTunes and downloaded onto my iPhone and MacBook Pro, and continue to listen to all f my favorites in my car, in my home and in my office.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by argonaut View Post

I've signed up for the Apple Music 3 month trial here in the UK... I love that the $9.99 / $14.99 charge in the US has automagically converted to £9.99 / £14.99 respectively..  Was expecting a better exchange rate than that - oh, who the feck am I kidding :p

I want to thank all you esteemed members of the First World for subsidising Apple Music for us in the Third World. $9.99/ $14.99 becomes approximately $2/ $3 for us here! A no-brainer!!

• Reply 40 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I want to thank all you esteemed members of the First World for subsidising Apple Music for us in the Third World. $9.99/ $14.99 becomes approximately $2/ $3 for us here! A no-brainer!!

Where are you? Greece?