Samsung Galaxy S6 'fastest smartphone,' if using phony benchmarks and ignoring iPhone 6 real world p

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I'd like to see what DED has to say about the cameras.
  • Reply 42 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If you can't handle the truth you should leave and hang out in an Android forum.

Seriously.  Everything Daniel says is backed up by facts.  Facts that make you feel uncomfortable.

I've read all your posts ( 14 of them) and every single one of them is pro-Google or pro-Microsoft.  You never say anything positive about Apple.  

BLOCKED

And just in case you didn't actually stomp your feet like a child and block me, here is a comment from one of my prior posts:  

"Further, I would argue that many if not most of the new converts to OSX machines do not do so because the prefer the OSX operating system. They prefer the design of Apple products, which although expensive, are leaps and bounds beyond any competitor's products. If the machines were not so "pretty", you would not find so many people loving the product. Kudos to Apple for leading the way in design."  

So if I take you at your word when you say you read all of my posts and I never say anything positive about Apple then I now know reading comprehension really is not your thing.

• Reply 43 of 94
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    How about iPhone 6 camera load time with iCloud Photos enabled?

Takes you back to 2007, doesn't it?
  • Reply 44 of 94

Not surprised since TH has become a Fandroid site. Nearly anything Apple related on TH receives tons of hate.

• Reply 45 of 94
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ttollerton wrote: »
    Because I was unaware that Tom's Guide was so biased.
    Every one of the tech site has demonstrated some form of bias over the years. At times it is pretty obvious and sometimes more subtle
    I have relied upon them in the past for hardware reviews. Now that I know they are willing to sacrifice objectivity, I'm going to go elsewhere.
    There is no where to go, every site that I've visited over the years has demonstrated bias. Your only recourse is to take the info with a grain of salt.
    On the other hand, I approach AppleInsider completely aware that they are an Apple-biased site, as they make no claims to the contrary.
    Sometimes being oriented to a specific device results in more focus and less of a need to fabricate reality.
    Thanks, AI, for the thorough and well-researched article!

Uh let's be honest here, little was researched in this case.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    As a "reader" of Tom's Hardware for 15 years, it is very obvious that they favor a few companies. AMD and Samsung are some current standouts. However, I don't see it much different than car magazine reviews. Where there is money involved (e.g. advertising) don't expect an unbiased review.

Additionally, Tom's seems to bias their favoritism away from specific companies too. Apple and Intel stand out in that respect.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    cropr wrote: »
    As an app developer I have currently 9 smartphones (for testing purposes), including a Samsung S6 and a iPhone 6 and the truth is that both devices have an excellent performance. Tom's Guide and AppleInsider make a fuss about nothing. It is totally irrelevant which smartphone is a fraction faster than the other, or which technology they have inside to reach their performance. For both phones I never experienced any sluggish behaviour

Yeah, I don't lose any sleep over synthetic benchmarks that I don't care about in the first place. It's always been about user experience for me. To borrow a gaming analogy, would you rather play a shitty, annoying game that runs at 60fps or a far better game that runs at 30fps?
  • Reply 48 of 94
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    cropr wrote: »
    As an app developer I have currently 9 smartphones (for testing purposes), including a Samsung S6 and a iPhone 6 and the truth is that both devices have an excellent performance. Tom's Guide and AppleInsider make a fuss about nothing. It is totally irrelevant which smartphone is a fraction faster than the other, or which technology they have inside to reach their performance. For both phones I never experienced any sluggish behaviour

I completely agree, this article was stupid, who cares what some tech site deemed the fastest phone. Their all fairly fast nowadays, I have not once complained that my Passport was slow and it only has a Qualcomm 801, only, that CPU is still fast. We go so hung up on artificial benchmarks when in reality the software still hasn't caught up to the hardware. There isn't a single game in either camps that could bring these devices to their knees. Like it or not the S6 and iPhone 6 are on par with each other, give or take a few points that needs some kind of scientific equipment to see the difference.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Could the reason for seeing lag when scrolling through an app (or text/photos/webpage) on a stock S6 phone be the telco add-ons? Are there any 'stock Android' (ie naked Android, no 3rd party software) phones out there? Ones that don't lag behind your finger scrolling?
  • Reply 50 of 94
    philboogie wrote: »
    Could the reason for seeing lag when scrolling through an app (or text/photos/webpage) on a stock S6 phone be the telco add-ons? Are there any 'stock Android' (ie naked Android, no 3rd party software) phones out there? Ones that don't lag behind your finger scrolling?

Yes, most of them. I'll say it again, Touchwiz is just, well, horrible. Samsung phones are actually fairly decent headsets, that is after you install CyanogenMod 12. My Nexus 9 exhibits none of these lag issues that the author speaks of in the article, it's a very smooth experience.
  • Reply 51 of 94
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    Yes, most of them. I'll say it again, Touchwiz is just, well, horrible. Samsung phones are actually fairly decent headsets, that is after you install CyanogenMod 12. My Nexus 9 exhibits none of these lag issues that the author speaks of in the article, it's a very smooth experience.

I should have stated that I didn't read the article (usually the good info is in the threads themselves) but I was just interested if Android, on its own, is not laggy when scrolling. When I see someone scrolling through a page on Android I see lag. Something I hardly ever experience myself on iOS. But that may be due to non-3rd party software installed on any iOS device(?)

edit:
    Checked that Cyanogen site:
    "CyanogenMod is an aftermarket firmware for a number of cell phones based on the open-source Android operating system. It offers features not found in the official Android based firmwares of vendors."

Thanks for pointing me there.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Quote:

You sound like a Fandroid.  Please point out what Daniel said that is not a FACT.

- Are you incapable of understanding that people cherry pick the information they want to use to present a particular device as superior?  You can use facts to reach conclusions that are not factual.

Daniel never said that.  You said that.  Stop putting words into his mouth.

- If your reading comprehension skills were better you would see I never implied Daniel said the words I wrote.  I said: "According to his world".  Anyone capable of rational though can see every article he writes is a hit piece on Google or some company associated with Google.  I am guilty of using hyperbole in my characterization of how he must view competing companies employees, but only barely.  His articles are every bit as asinine as the people who blindly attack Apple.  

But while we are on the topic name a SINGLE MIND BLOWING PRODUCT Samsung, Google, Microsoft has done in the last 8 years?  Apple has made the iPhone, iPad, and Watch.  What has your beloved Samdung/Google/Microsoft done?  They have basically just copied the iPhone/iPad/Watch the last 8 years.  

- Can you please name one new watch release that has copied Apple thus far?  Because I would love to know which watch that is.  I would however, never argue against Apple's hardware.  I think they are the very best at hardware.  Their attention to design is unrivaled.  That does not however mean other companies, such as Google, have not done great things in software.  I doubt though you'll take off your Apple glasses to admit that.

Why should Daniel give glowing words to Samsung/Google/Microsoft?  What have they done to deserve such high praise?  And don't you know this a friken Apple site?  If you want to hear glowing words about Samsung go to a Samsung site.  Seriously.  Again name me the awesome things Samsung/Google/Microsoft has done the last 8 years?

- Considering this is an Apple site there is no reason to offer elaborate praise for the competition.  However, he could acknowledge where the competition is strong and where Apple comes up short in areas.  If you just want to read an opinionated tabloid that verifies your world view then I guess Daniel's articles are perfect for you.  I personally love to read those who are capable of pointing out strengths and weaknesses.

Samsung - basically copied Apple's iPhone and iPad.  Their claim to fame is making a phone.........bigger.  That's it.  They have been found GUILTY in the court of law for copying Apple.  Why should Daniel praise that?

- Never said he should praise Samsung.  He could acknowledge areas where they are strong however.

Microsoft - What hardware have they made the last 8 years that deserves praise?  The surface?  Apple sells more iPads in one quarter than the Surface has in HISTORY.  Why should Daniel praise the Surface which is basically a Frankenstein hardware that is too heavy to be a tablet and too underpowered to be a work laptop.  Seriously.  And lets not even get into Windows8. 

- Why does volume of sales have to be indicative of a quality product?  Do you fist pump for Exxon when you fill your car up with gas over how much oil revenue Exxon brings in?  That being said, please let me know where I heaped praise upon Microsoft.  I'd love to see it.

Google - Why should Daniel praise a company that's sole source of profits is gather personal data on a person and selling it.  

- Anyone using Google who does not realize Google uses data from users to generate income needs to be sterilized for fear they may breed their stupidity into the gene pool.  However plenty of people are fine with the data being used in exchange for the service provided.  Those who are not can go elsewhere.  I never realized making extremely high margins on hardware was a reason for us to bow down to the Apple throne.  

Wow.  You are using a Fandroid 101 argument.  Nice job.  The fact is the components Apple buys from Samsung are commodity items.  Ram, screens, ect are all things Apple can buy from a dozen other companies.  Just so happens Samsung is giving Apple the best prices.  

- If you think they can buy those components from a dozen other companies then you are beyond hope.  

Daniel has never said Samsung can't make some damn good RAM.  Of course they can.  Its what they do best.  Get a piece of hardware and duplicate at a cheaper price.

- Where has Samsung duplicated Apple or anyone else in screen technology?  They are copy artists at plenty of things, and experts in others. 

And Daniel's arguments are not aimed at Samsung Manufactering (the company that sells RAM, screens, ect).  They are aimed at Samsung Mobile that makes phones/tablets.  

Again my advice is go troll around in an Android forum.

- I have an android phone, an ipad, and a Windows computer.  I use products that work for me and acknowledge they aren't necessarily perfect for everyone else.  I don't have to be fanatical about any of them.  However, if being irrational is what makes you happy then good for you.  As long as I don't have to deal with it in my daily life then I will survive.

• Reply 53 of 94
    apple ][ wrote: »
    What else is new? Fans of Android are simply highly delusional and pathetic beings that have no choice but to create their own, artificial, false reality, where they manipulate, cherry pick, lie and exaggerate in their ongoing desperate attempts to not make themselves look like crazy people, which is what somebody has to be, if anybody actually seriously claims that any Samsung phone is better than an iPhone.

Android remains a horrible operating system. You could put Android OS on the world's fastest computer, and it would still be complete garbage. 

My area of interest is music apps, and I remember saying many years ago that Android was horrible for any type of music creation. I was assured by many Fandroids, including some Fandroids on this forum who commented at the time, that this was soon to be fixed. They repeated the same canned responses and pathetic replies every few months. Here we are, many years later in mid 2015, and guess what, Android is still practically as horrible and laggy for this task as it was back then. Android is just a total joke and the mere thought of Android still sickens me to my stomach.

Sometimes you might read claims on the internet that Android is more for techy types, while Apple is more for non techy types, but this ridiculous myth couldn't be further from the truth. Anybody who is competent and aware of tech would know not to choose Android, because they would be smart enough and knowledgable enough to see through the charade and the meaningless, manipulated paper specs that have little or no bearing on real world usage whatsoever.

Android phones are marketed to dummies and simpletons who are easily manipulated and they are people who will basically fall for anything. There is no harmony or integration between the various components. It's all about the specs, with little thought and little regard given as to how they will ultimately operate and function together. It's not hard at all to put together an Android phone that will impress the average Fandroid. Just jam it full of gimmicks that don't even work well or work at all. Choose the highest resolution screen that you can find and use that (11,000 x 11,000 is ideal for a 6" phone). Don't give much thought at all to battery life, necessity or practicality. Choose a CPU with as many cores as possible, the more, the better, because the OS is so poor that brute force is needed to simply make the phone operate at a half acceptable level, and you also have the added benefit that these higher numbers will give Fandroids hardons, even though the lesser core, custom CPUs that Apple uses always performs better.

Now don't get me wrong. I do believe that there is a place for Android phones. Apple can only make so many millions of iPhones each year and not everybody can afford an iPhone, so in a way, I guess that it's good that Android exists, because how else would third world people with no money in their pockets or shoes on their feet <span style="line-height:1.4em;">get to experience any modern phones that have all been inspired by the iPhone, even if they remain poor imitations and they all pale in comparison to the real thing.</span>

I could go on and on, but I wont. I'll just sum it up by saying that I've always been disgusted by Android, and I still remain disgusted by Android and Fandroids today. I haven't been on this site in a while, and I haven't given any thought to Android at all in months. I should probably go and take a shower now, because I feel all dirty just talking and thinking about Android for the past 15 minutes. 

Why do you continue to waste energy on declaring how much you hate Android. Just don't use it, the only reason why the authors of this site keeps bringing up articles like this is because it gets a rise out of people like you. Really though, who cares which mobile platform people use if it does what the user needs. Like it or not but not everyone likes iOS and no their not delusional. Choice is a good thing, even it's a platform that you don't like. I no longer use a Android phone but when I did I never found anything to truly hate about it. Yes, music creation apps are better on an iOS device because at one time there was a latency problem with Android, that is no longer the case though and if you look at what's available now you would see that most music creation publishers are now also making their software for Android or are planning on releasing a version for it. Here is a site that shows what I'm talking about, http://www.musicalandroid.com/. Since Android tablets have more RAM and can run multiple apps at once it actually makes for a decent platform to use, it also has better inner-app communication making things like moving audio files between apps a lot easier, as well as accessing local and cloud music files. Also music files are all stored under a single directory, which makes locating them a lot easier. There's actually a lot more but I know you just don't care as long as people agree with you that Android is the worst.
  • Reply 54 of 94

i find it funny how you say that you have to be rich in order to have a iphone lol..maybe because you are so happy with buying a half eaten apple is why  you are so hates over android.have you ever use a galaxy s6;i bet not,then dont be judging over andriod if you have never tried it. i was like you all iphone fanboy and stuff until i got the galaxy s6..all phone are great in their own ways...quit bitching over which is better.. pc master race fegget oh yeah and P.S. you just needed that shower it was about time :P

• Reply 55 of 94

On the synthetic benchmark 3DMark Ice Storm Unlimited, the S5 blew past all of Apple's devices with a score of 18,204. The iPhone 6 Plus scored 16,965, while the 6 scored 16,558, and the 5s notched 14,259.

• Reply 56 of 94
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why do you continue to waste energy on declaring how much you hate Android. Just don't use it, the only reason why the authors of this site keeps bringing up articles like this is because it gets a rise out of people like you. Really though, who cares which mobile platform people use if it does what the user needs. Like it or not but not everyone likes iOS and no their not delusional. Choice is a good thing, even it's a platform that you don't like. I no longer use a Android phone but when I did I never found anything to truly hate about it. Yes, music creation apps are better on an iOS device because at one time there was a latency problem with Android, that is no longer the case though and if you look at what's available now you would see that most music creation publishers are now also making their software for Android or are planning on releasing a version for it. Here is a site that shows what I'm talking about, http://www.musicalandroid.com/. Since Android tablets have more RAM and can run multiple apps at once it actually makes for a decent platform to use, it also has better inner-app communication making things like moving audio files between apps a lot easier, as well as accessing local and cloud music files. Also music files are all stored under a single directory, which makes locating them a lot easier. There's actually a lot more but I know you just don't care as long as people agree with you that Android is the worst.

It is not correct that the issue has been fixed. I've been following this for a while now, and Android remains very bad and laggy for realtime audio, such as plugging a guitar or keyboard into the phone and playing in realtime. Most of the bigtime music companies such as Korg have still never bothered to release any of their apps for Android, as the techincal issues remain, and the apps would be subpar and unacceptable for any legitimate musical usage.

• Reply 57 of 94

Android’s 10 Millisecond Problem: The Android Audio Path Latency Explainer

Read more: http://superpowered.com/androidaudiopathlatency/#ixzz3eZj9IEyy 

• Reply 58 of 94
    lejonaslejonas Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android’s 10 Millisecond Problem: The Android Audio Path Latency Explainer

Read more: http://superpowered.com/androidaudiopathlatency/#ixzz3eZj9IEyy 

Nah... it will get better soon:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/06/05/android-m-feature-spotlight-formal-midi-support-and-several-other-improvements-for-audio-input-and-output-are-on-the-way/.

• Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:

I'm still waiting for FACTS that Daniel brought out that were wrong.  You say he cherry picked.  But Daniel has brought up DOZENS of reasons why Android sucks compared to Apple in his articles.  Stop making excuses.  Show me where Daniel was spewing lies or STFU.

How do you know what Daniel's world is?  That's the same thing as putting words into someones mouth.  You are attributing something to Daniel THAT HE NEVER SAID.  Stop spewing lies and hate at Daniel.

Hit piece at Google?  At Samsung?  Again what the HELL do you expect?  This is an Apple site you genius!  If you expect to see glowing reviews about Android product you are at the wrong site.  That's your problem, not Daniel.

Again show me a statement that Daniel said that is FALSE or LIES about Google/Samsung.  Show me.  Daniel is bringing up FACTS.  Now if you can't handle the FACTS then go to another site.

Seriously.  Are you really this naive?  Samsung/Google had ZERO plans to bring out a smartwatch until the rumor reports became that Apple was making a watch.

Google makes some nice services (Search, Maps, email) but the problem is they are constantly collecting your data when you use those services.  

How is the competition strong?  The iPhone is destroying everything in its path.  The iPad is destroying everything in its path.  Android is only capturing sales at the very low end.  So what is there to praise or even acknowlege?

It's flat out ridiculous that you expect any article in AppleInsider to praise Android/MS products.  If you want a balanced view go to a site that covers both Apple and Android.

There are over a dozen RAM manufacters.  You are beyond hope.

Also stole display tech from OLED tech from LG.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Who-stole-the-OLED-Police-raids-Samsung-Display-offices-looking-for-poached-LG-tech_id41716

Their CEO is a two time convicted felon who just so happenned to be pardon TWICE by the Korean President.

I'm not irrational.  I'm reasonable.  You are the one who's unreasonable thinking an APPLE SITE will heap praise for competitors.  

Again go to an Android site if the TRUTH HURTS.  Everything Daniel said is FACTS.  You can cry fowl all you want but to the winner goes the spoils and Apple is kicking everyones ass right now in mobile.  You must be some millienial who grew up where every team got a medal and 'everyone was a winner' even if you were last place.  But that's not the REAL WORLD.  In the real world we have winners and losers.  Right now Apple is the WINNER and Android/Samdung are the LOSERS.  You can blab all you want that Daniel should give those LOSERS credit till the cows come home.  But the fact is there is no reason to since Apple is totally crushing them and kicking their ass every day and twice on Sunday.

Actually the only real losers are people like you who are so obsessed with their love of corporations that they can not even think straight.   Just because a website is dedicated to following a brand does not mean it has to be a slanted website.  There are plenty of android and Apple sites where well thought out and balanced articles are written.  When I read the drivel Daniel writes I will comment as long as I am allowed to still comment.  

I will give you an example of what Daniel does and how two people as fanatical as him can reach conclusions based on the same facts.  Daniel blasts Samsung for its use of high density screen and the drain it places on a GPU.  He will conveniently ignore that games won't ever use that full resolution but he'll tell you users are suffering.  A person on the exact opposite end of the spectrum would tell you how Apple phones are pure crap because they aren't capable of the same resolution as a Samsung phones, since their screens do not support it.  Both arguments are wholly true and yet in many ways they are both wholly stupid.

Unlike you, I do not seek to read websites where I will agree with every article written.  I like to see a variety of viewpoints.  Daniel's articles are so difficult to read because they are so glaringly one sided.  Plenty of other fans of Apple on this very site recognize that but you will fight it to the death.  That being said I must heap praise on your declaration that there is virtually no competition since Apple is destroying it all.  I am sure the lack of competition is why we saw larger iPhones this year.  Regardless, discussion with you is pointless.  I can say a thousand times I think Apple is a great company, but if I acknowledge a positive of  Google, Samsung, or any other company on earth I'm instantly a Fandroid.  Enjoy your Apple world.  It's not a bad place.  I just happen to appreciate many things and won't denigrate others for accepting other options.

• Reply 60 of 94
    Quote:

And yes I am enjoying my Apple world.  I've owned an Android Phone, Android Tablet, and countless Windows laptops/desktops.  And I'm 1000x happy that I don't have to mess with those POS anymore.

I'm surprised that you have even owned an Android phone or tablet before. What was wrong with you back then?

I am proud to say that I have never owned any Android phone, never owned any Android tablet, never owned any Windows device whatsoever. Apple has been working just fine for me for as long back as I can recall, and I couldn't be happier.