How to hide the Apple Music subscription service & get back Playlists parent menu in iOS 8.4

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Though heavily hyped, Apple Music subscriptions may not be for everyone. Those who want to remove the streaming service from their iOS 8.4 Music app, and gain back easy access to custom playlists in the process, can easily do so --?here's how.

After updating to iOS 8.4, users can simply open the native Settings app and scroll down to Music. Within that menu a new section for Apple Music includes a switch labeled Show Apple Music.

If this switch is on, the layout of the iOS Music app is geared toward catering to Apple Music subscribers, and also promoting the monthly subscription service to those who have not yet signed up.

Flipping this switch off, however, removes the "For You" and "New" parent menus in the iOS 8.4 Music app, and replaces them with the legacy "Playlists" option at the bottom of the screen.

Turning off Apple Music support within the iOS 8.4 Music app might be an ideal solution for users who prefer to own their music rather than pay an ongoing subscription fee. It also makes the app more usable for those who prefer creating their own native playlists within their library.

Playlists still exist within the Music app for those who are subscribed to Apple Music, but it takes one more step to access: Tap on the "My Music" parent menu at the bottom of the screen, and then switch from "Library" to "Playlists" at the top of that view.

The Playlists view appears the same in the iOS 8.4 Music app for both Apple Music users and non-Apple Music users alike.

Disabling Apple Music on an iPhone or iPad leaves the "Radio" and "Connect" parent menus at the bottom of the app. Both of these features -- including the new 24/7 streaming Beats 1 station --?remain available to those who are not subscribed to Apple Music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Unfortunately, I don't see any of my playlists any more though. The only one that's there now is "Purchased"

This happened both with and without the Apple Music showing (I am not starting the free trial).
  • Reply 2 of 28
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    I've read a lot of comments of people upgrading to 8.4 and their music and playlists disappearing. But for me, this update has been seemless and mostly awesome.

The main thing I don't like is that, since I am an iTunes Match subscriber, I got used to seeing a download button for songs not on my device. Now, I have to open up the ... menu to "Make available offline". That option is even still there for the songs that are already on my device (apparently an error.) Though, once I do click "make available", it seems to be set correctly and the option changes to "remove downloads from device"
  • Reply 3 of 28
    for anyone who has a device on iOS 9 beta that has another device on OS X 10.10.4 or iOS 8.4, you can sign up for Apple Music on this device. Anything you want to access on your iOS 9 device you can save on the device with 10.10.4 / iOS 8.4 and when you search in "radio" within the iOS 9 Music App you will see the saved content show up. This is my workaround until beta 3 is released, since I am less interested in the connect feature or the radio station feature but the ability to like Spotify search for the content I am looking for and listen on demand.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I found a workaround. It appears that as long as you have a device with 8.4 on such that you can subscribe to Apple Music, you can then save any song/artist/album on iTunes and access this content on a device running iOS 9 beta. This will do until the next beta arrives (which I expect will be next week per the 'usual' beta release cadence).
  • Reply 5 of 28
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

That would be the best new feature of Apple Music...sliding the switch to OFF.  Thanks Apple for not forcing that down our throats when we don't want it.  I have no interest in renting my music.  Now if only we could delete other unless apps like Stocks, Apple Watch, etc.  

• Reply 6 of 28
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    mrboba1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't see any of my playlists any more though. The only one that's there now is "Purchased"

This happened both with and without the Apple Music showing (I am not starting the free trial).

This is a bug in 8.4 that I seem to remember was introduced in beta 3 and was still not fixed either beta 4 or seemingly in the release.... The workaround is to go to the recently added list on the playlists tab and they should all show up there - the main playlists screen only seems to show downloaded playlists regardless of the Show Offline toggle setting...

This seems to have been fixed in the iOS 9 betas as my iPad shows all my playlists as I'd expect.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

Can I just move "My Music" to the front of the tabs?

• Reply 8 of 28
    -los-los Posts: 15member
    I can't figure out how to rate(??????) my songs with this new apple music app. I have to be missing the option. Can anyone enlighten me please?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

The same preference is in iTunes 12.2.  Go to iTunes preferences, under the General tab and uncheck Show Apple Music to hide it.  Also, go to Parental Controls in iTunes preferences and check the box to hide Apple Music Connect if you don't want to see Apple Music in iTunes.

• Reply 10 of 28
    -los wrote: »
    I can't figure out how to rate(??????) my songs with this new apple music app. I have to be missing the option. Can anyone enlighten me please?

There are some features which are weirdly only accessible from some places (something I hate on my Android phone). Anyway, you have to go to the "now playing" screen and hit the name of the song, whcih will replace the song information by 5 dots. Now you just rate it. Interestingly, you can press to the left of the first star to remove all stars.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    danielagos wrote: »

There are some features which are weirdly only accessible from some places (something I hate on my Android phone). Anyway, you have to go to the "now playing" screen and hit the name of the song, whcih will replace the song information by 5 dots. Now you just rate it. Interestingly, you can press to the left of the first star to remove all stars.

That's a relief considering how many playlists I have based on four or five stars. At first I thought they replaced stars with a favorite "heart". :-o
  • Reply 12 of 28
    -los-los Posts: 15member
    danielagos wrote: »
    I can't believe I didn't catch that. Thank you for figuring it out.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Do I really want to upgrade? When they changed iPhoto to Photo's the filing systems still don't talk to each other. I hate it and I'll probably hate iTunes, or what ever they call it now.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Just tap on the title of the song in the music now playing screen.
  • Reply 15 of 28

Updated to iOS 8.4 and new version of OSX/iTunes on my MBP and I have the following problems:

1) My playlists in iTunes won't sync to my iPhone - in the playlists tab of the Music app there is nothing apart from a message saying 'Mix It Up - make a playlist'

2) Some of the cover art from tracks I've downloaded from Beatport or Traxsource or ripped from vinyl have changed; on my MBP they are correct but on my iPhone they aren't

I don't want to use Apple Music for streaming (I've turned it off in settings) and I don't want to use iCloud music library (again, it's off) - so how do I fix both of the above?!

thanks

• Reply 16 of 28
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    ALL of my ripped music, ALL of my playlists... Music app does not see them. They're still on my iPad Air per Settings->General->Usage as music library is right size (approximately 18 GB). All of above suggested resolutions except desktop sync tried and failed. Same issues with ripped TV and movies. This is real, huge fail, beyond deal breaker for some of us. Apple Music? Could care less about. If I like music I purchase, preferably on physical medium.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    rico1rico1 Posts: 3member
    I updated to iOS 8.4 yesterday on my iphone 6 (Via update in General Settings) and now my music library is missing and so are my playlists. I tried turning off Apple Music through the settings and tried searching, changing list views from Albums to Songs view and still all missing. Rebooted the phone etc... Still all synced music is missing. Only songs visible is what i purchased on iTunes but not any of my synced music. Whats interesting is you go into the usage settings (To see memory allocation) the Music app is missing but i can clearly see that the music is still on the phone because 70 GB is still allocated as used. I tried looking in the Apple forums and only found developers and testers running into the same issues with the beta version. Since this is the official release perhaps it was never addressed or fixed since the concentration was more around the paid subscription Apple Music service.

Any ideas? Hopefully apple will fix this bug.

Is any one else running into this:

Symptoms:
    Missing synced music (Non itunes purchased)
    Missing created playlists
    Missing Music App Usage in Settings - General - Usage - Manage Storage - Music (App is missing)
    Memory still in use for missing music (Observed in the Used area "Top usage above available" of Storage Memory)
  • Reply 19 of 28
    rico1rico1 Posts: 3member

I updated to iOS 8.4 yesterday on my iphone 6 (Via update in General Settings) and now my music library is missing and so are my playlists.

I tried turning off Apple Music through the settings and tried searching, changing list views from Albums to Songs view and still all missing. Rebooted the phone etc... Still all synced music is missing. Only songs visible is what i purchased on iTunes but not any of my synced music. Whats interesting is you go into the usage settings (To see memory allocation) the Music app is missing but i can clearly see that the music is still on the phone because 70 GB is still allocated as used. I tried looking in the Apple forums and only found developers and testers running into the same issues with the beta version. Since this is the official release perhaps it was never addressed or fixed since the concentration was more around the paid subscription Apple Music service.

Any ideas, anyone else running into this? Hopefully apple will fix this bug.

Is any one else running into this:

Symptoms:

Missing synced music (Non itunes purchased)

Missing created playlists

Missing Music App Usage in Settings - General - Usage - Manage Storage - Music (App is missing)

Memory still in use for missing music (Observed in the Used area "Top usage above available" of Storage Memory)

• Reply 20 of 28
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

ALL my ripped albums and created playlists are right where I want them on my iPhone 6 Plus. I updated my home computer to the new Mac OS which included the new iTunes, then synced my iPhone, backed it up, updated it and pop! Everything was right there!  Slick and easy as usual.