Apple's 24-hour Beats 1 radio station goes live in 100 countries with Spring King, Beck, Jamie xx

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    asdasd wrote: »
    It's pretty hard to change that format. DJ talks, plays music, interviews guests.

Beats is just a start and if works they'll have localised radio stations, genre stations and so on. The idea is that if you like a song you can add it to a playlist.

Zane's stuff isn't always available to stream but I suppose they can't really limit.

Excellent work by Apple, try out Siri integration everybody. Compared to the abortion that was iTunes Radio this is utterly brilliant.

I think Siri integration is Apple's ace in the hole and probably why there will never be a third-party API for Siri integration.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple's Beats 1 Radio for Mac?

• Reply 43 of 66
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Sounds like terrestrial radio. Talk talk talk sweeper music bumper music sweeper talk talk etc.

Exactly why I ditched FM for Pandora.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    satchmo wrote: »
    Getting an 'unable to start station' on everything except BBC news. 

I suspect it's because you have not signed up to the free trial yet. Only Beat 1 that can be stream freely (with only Apple ID).

Source: same thing happened to me and I haven't taken up the offer (holding out for another 3 weeks).
  • Reply 45 of 66
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

It's mostly dance music, and a British woman won't shut up even though she has nothing to say.  Will people keep tuning in for this?  Time will tell.

• Reply 46 of 66
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    I knew it. It IS BBC Radio 1. You're welcome, ROW.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    I must say some of the first takes on Apple Music remind me of the first Apple Watch reviews. The media has this meme going that Apple Music is confusing. I've messed around with it and don't really find it confusing at all. But it's something that you might have to play around with a little bit, do some exploration.

One thing in will say though is while I think the interface looks nice there are certain areas that feel a bit cluttered with a lot of stuff shoved into it. Especially the New section. Hopefully Apple will refine over time.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I must say some of the first takes on Apple Music remind me of the first Apple Watch reviews. The media has this meme going that Apple Music is confusing. I've messed around with it and don't really find it confusing at all. But it's something that you might have to play around with a little bit, do some exploration.

One thing in will say though is while I think the interface looks nice there are certain areas that feel a bit cluttered with a lot of stuff shoved into it. Especially the New section. Hopefully Apple will refine over time.

I don't see how it's confusing. As always with something new, it takes a little time to get used to. Overall, I think Apple has done a great job with Apple Music. I agree with the new section. They should separate new stuff by genre. 

• Reply 49 of 66
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    appex wrote: »

Coming soon.
    Having shunned commercial radio for a while now, Im enjoying Beats One. Good job Apple !
  • Reply 50 of 66
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

iTunes 12.2 was supposed to be released after 2pm PDT. Looks like it's still unavailable. I imagine it's going to release any time now. 

• Reply 51 of 66
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I don't see how it's confusing. As always with something new, it takes a little time to get used to. Overall, I think Apple has done a great job with Apple Music. I agree with the new section. They should separate new stuff by genre. 

There are places where the UI definitely feels cramped and UI elements are awfully small. When you download a song for offline playback the indicator that the song is available offline is very hard to see. I would like it if Apple made all the controls just a bit bigger. Also on the lock screen you get a share sheet but when you tap on it it forces you to unlock the device and then launches the music app. What is the point of having it on the lock screen if the actions need to be completed in the music app?
  • Reply 52 of 66
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Haha, I have a feeling if Google or Samsung rolled out a live radio station that sounded just like BBC Radio 1 some people here would be knocking it as a ripoff. I'm not surprised it's similar to BBC Radio 1 since that's where Zane Lowe came from. But I have to laugh at some of the comments in my Twitter feed claiming Apple has reinvented radio. Really? Mimicking Radio 1 is reinventing radio? I can go to TuneIn right now and listen to Radio 1 whenever I want, 24/7.

The BBC did not invent free form commercial free radio. Give that up. What exactly is the innovation or invention here that you are attributing to the BBC? I'll take a shot-radio is integrated with your own music library, curated playlists, and a store from which to can buy said music if you so choose.

What the BBC has, unless I am mistaken is....um, radio.

• Reply 53 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

It's mostly dance music, and a British woman won't shut up even though she has nothing to say.  Will people keep tuning in for this?  Time will tell.

I've been listening throughout the day. It's the launch of a new worldwide service, so they need to establish a presence. Also, Zane, I thought, spoke far more than Julie (Judy?).

• Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:

There are places where the UI definitely feels cramped and UI elements are awfully small. When you download a song for offline playback the indicator that the song is available offline is very hard to see. I would like it if Apple made all the controls just a bit bigger. Also on the lock screen you get a share sheet but when you tap on it it forces you to unlock the device and then launches the music app. What is the point of having it on the lock screen if the actions need to be completed in the music app?

I agree...also, I haven't quite found a way to quickly add whole albums from curated playlists to My Music. I tend to leave the playlist, go to search, and add an artist's album(s) from there. Tracks and albums should be able to be added to My Music from any section of ?Music. I'll play around a bit more. And, yes, I think many UI elements are small.

• Reply 55 of 66
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Zane, I thought, spoke far more than Julie (Judy?).

I wasn't listening while he was on...  but saying she's better because he talked more is like saying having a cold is better than having the flu because it doesn't suck as much.  That's true, but it doesn't make having a cold suck any less.  I wouldn't have minded her talking so much if she actually had something to say...  but she didn't.  I listened for around an hour before I couldn't take it any more.

It'll be interesting to see what Beats 1 sounds like a few weeks from now.

• Reply 56 of 66
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Grand plan. Launch a new music service and add a 24/7 radio station. Hire DJ's with really really big ego's that hold the illusion in their minds that we really don't want to hear the music they are playing, but want to hear them talk. AM radio for the 21st century. Well I guess I won't spend anymore time listening to the new Beats1.

• Reply 57 of 66
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    carthusia wrote: »

The BBC did not invent free form commercial free radio. Give that up. What exactly is the innovation or invention here that you are attributing to the BBC? I'll take a shot-radio is integrated with your own music library, curated playlists, and a store from which to can buy said music if you so choose.

What the BBC has, unless I am mistaken is....um, radio.

Beats1 *sounds* like Radio1. That's all. Similar music, similar range, similar format.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Quote:

Beats 1 needs a recently played feature. Except most of the stuff Lowe has played so far isn't available to stream on Apple Music.

HI @Rogifan!  

You can see what has been streamed recently on Spiff Radio.

Another solution would be that someone would link its iTunes with (exclusively) Beats 1 playing to last.fm, so songs would be scrobbled...

• Reply 59 of 66
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    With all the free options for listening to music - the songs you've purchased and have in your library, tune-in radio, Pandora, etc - I just don't personally see why people would subscribe to this at the price they're asking... I honestly don't get it. I haven't tried it - so maybe that's where my lack of understanding comes from - but based on the description of the service, I might be tempted to subscribe for $20/year but anything more than that doesn't make sense to me.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    The user and all related content has been deleted.