how to read Mail full-screen on iPad?

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2015
Hi everyone. Quick question. How do you read mail on Apple's mail program on iPad 2 in full screen? I mean how do you get rid of that Inboxes pane on the left?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Turn it sideways?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Turn it sideways?

Thanks Tallest. so you can not read it full screen in horizontal view? I hadn't even tried flipping it. I like it best in horizontal mode, perched on my Otterbox. But I suppose that'll make do. Kind of disappointing.

Also it's occurred to me that smartphones and tablets should a physical LOCK screen button. No searching for a setting somewhere or hoping an app supports it. I am particularly annoyed when using mapping apps for this. But that's a digression. There isn't a system-wide way to lock the screen sideways is there Tallest skil?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Thanks Tallest. so you can not read it full screen in horizontal view? I hadn't even tried flipping it. I like it best in horizontal mode, perched on my Otterbox. But I suppose that'll make do. Kind of disappointing.

Also it's occurred to me that smartphones and tablets should a physical LOCK screen button. No searching for a setting somewhere or hoping an app supports it. I am particularly annoyed when using mapping apps for this. But that's a digression. There isn't a system-wide way to lock the screen sideways is there Tallest skil?

On the iPhone? I haven't heard of one. I wish it did, the soft lock only does portrait.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Thanks Tallest. so you can not read it full screen in horizontal view?

Nope. They figure the width of the content in portrait mode is as wide as people would want to see said content, so they use the extra space for the Inbox.

Quote:

Also it's occurred to me that smartphones and tablets should a physical LOCK screen button.

You mean rotation lock? The iPad has this.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. They figure the width of the content in portrait mode is as wide as people would want to see said content, so they use the extra space for the Inbox.

You mean rotation lock? The iPad has this.

Ooops. Yep i'm a new a newb with iOS stuff. Thanks! I found this... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

It's a great design. Now I'm quite happy! I wish my Android had this feature!

I do wish I could do full screen Mail, but oh well, perhaps they'll add that in some other time.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

I do wish I could do full screen Mail, but oh well, perhaps they'll add that in some other time.

Improved in iOS 5. Full-screen Mail in Portrait mode. Just swipe from the left to show Inbox, etc.

http://www.macstories.net/stories/io...tures-we-love/

• Reply 7 of 12
    pteroptero Posts: 1member
    This is just another example of Apple's arrogant "we know better" atitude and flagrant diregard of accessibility that drives me nuts. I really need landscape view and large type to compensate for my poor eyesight.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptero View Post

This is just another example of Apple's arrogant "we know better" atitude and flagrant diregard of accessibility that drives me nuts. I really need landscape view and large type to compensate for my poor eyesight.

So freaking pinch to zoom. Quit pretending Apple is being evil.

• Reply 9 of 12
    lorettaloretta Posts: 1member
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
  • Reply 10 of 12

Re-opening this thread. I have very poor eyesight, so am still looking for a way to hold the iPad in landscape mode and have the inbox go away so I can read the email text message full screen. The portrait mode is too small and if I expand the font using the finger pinch technique the text does not wrap. 

• Reply 11 of 12
    Yes, I Just got the iPad Air 2 and really hate that in the Messages app, there is a pane on the left that shows everyone I text and a pane on the right that shows the conversation that I've selected. Regardless of if I'm in the portrait view or the landscape view. I take a lot of screenshots of my conversations with people to send to other people or keep as reference/"proof" and I don't want the other person seeing the screenshot to be able to see who else I'm texting. (I have the same issue with the Mail app). Is there a way to make it look as it does on my iPhone?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Amen to that! I'm suffering from teeny tiny fonts too and turning my brand spanking new iPad Air 2 sideways doesn't increase the font size one iota. My FIRST generation iPad worked just fine when I turned it sideway and had a much better Maps app too