Whiny, hand-wringing baby freaks...

13»

Comments

• Reply 40 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Mods, lock/delete this thread if you must. I don't really care, either way.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why? Because he's right and you don't like that? Grow up.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    My take on what was released (and what was not) as a reverse switcher:

Good stuff:

- Jaguar is the first Mac OS X that's really, really worth getting. The features in that (and the certain degree of polish) make it an attractive system everyone without a career in Windows.

- The 17" iMac is very flashy (more proportional that the 15", in my opinion) and acts as a good flagship. I have my doubts about the affordability, but it will draw people to take a closer look at Apple (as the Cube did).

- iTunes 3 should continue to improve on a solid app (though I wish they would label their god damn buttons).

- iPod for Windows serves to fill a big gaping hole -- most likely the anus, which about half the CNET user reviewers are talking out of. Take a look at the reviews for the iPod 10GB, and you'll find that about half the reviews (the thumbs down ones that make the iPod seem like a dismal, low-quality failure) are just morons whining about how it's horrible because they can't use it with Windows. Problem solved.

The unfortunate stuff:

- Value doesn't matter much when buying a product is out of the question (I'm talking about that new iMac). I really want to get a well-designed computer with capabilities greater than the PC box I have now. But it's just way, way out of my league.

- Switchers want to be able to use the monitors they already have with their PCs. Right now, platform migration is made less attractive by having people take a bigger step up than they really have to (getting an all-in-one machine).

- I wish Jaguar were cheaper. Not necessarily free, but something to show that, hey, with Apple, there's no hassle in getting up to date. It would increase the adoption rate of third party products and make people feel good. Something tells me that's good for Apple. An upgrade price for retail 10.0 and 10.1 owners would be in order as thanks for being early adopters.

- It would be nice for Apple to have given people tiered .Mac services. $100 makes it a "can't be bothered" item for non-enthusiasts. They're only losing out on sales with the new setup. In a perfect world, iDisk would be free. I would find it useful.

I don't care about the following:

iCal - I have a Far Side calendar. iCal cannot beat that.

iSync - I don't have any of the expensive things that this can sync.

iPod - Nice as an external, portable drive, but I have nowhere to take it. Nice as an MP3 player, but I'm fine with a Walkman.

Bluetooth - I will probably never buy anything that requires this.

The problem, I guess, is that I don't have anything close to the 'digital lifestyle'. I wonder if Apple is is targeting the right people with that philosophy. People with a hectic lifestyle and a ton of expensive gadgets to sync up definitely have the money that Apple wants, but are there enough people like that?
  • Reply 43 of 58
    jet powersjet powers Posts: 288member
    Ah, yes. The whinging has begun.

There are two salient points that you should consider right now:

1) OS X can do more than any other operating system out of the box than any other OS on this planet. If you can't see that, well, I'm sorry for your lack of sight.

2) .mac is the new internet model. There isn't a free lunch online any more. There's a reason why all of theose dotcoms failed. I'm not perfectly happy with it (more options to pay for only what you want, such as just the mac.com email addy only), but it's proof that Apple is not run by morons.

And now a TING5 editorial:

The question I see bandied about here is whether the AIWC (AI Whiner's Club) is good for the platform or not. First of all, I hope they all realize they don't matter. Apple will do what makes sense for them, and not what a couple of disgruntled people on a BBS think.

But even assuming your opinion matters, you really do more damage than good.

1) The constant whining gives people a place to get all of their FUD needs about the Mac platform.

2) The negativity drowns out the support of the concept of an online community, such as one fostered by AI.

3) The self-hating nature of the whining is psychologically unhealthy for you.

You all add nothing to the platform, nothing to AppleInsider, and nothing to intelligent discussion. Please consider spending your time doing something else.

TING5
  • Reply 44 of 58
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan Brisby:

<strong>

Why? Because he's right and you don't like that? Grow up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you scroll up, you'll see that I posted the "mods close this..." comment IMMEDIATELY after my initial thread-beginning post. HOW can it possibly be directed at anyone?!

It was the SECOND post in the thread! Would've been different if I had posted the "close this thread..." later on, wouldn't it?

:confused:

I'll grow up if you learn to read.

• Reply 45 of 58
    You know, this is the first time since moving to the Mac that I've been disapointed. I mean, I love my iBook 600 combo and use it every day. It's the best computer I've ever owned. I don't need blazing speed to render 100 MB sound files (not yet). I also don't need a $100 per year email service. So I've already switched (email services, not computers). I dropped Yahoo! when they started charging, and I've dropped mac.com (.Mac). It was a pain, only because I really liked my mac.com address and gently reminding everyone I email that I'm a Mac user. And I recall Apple saying that iTools is "free" and one of the benefits of owning a Mac. So that's one less benefit, not enough to make me switch to PC. But it's also one less reason for PC users to switch to Mac.

As for OS X 10.2, I can't afford to pay $130 for another OS X upgrade, fine as it may be. I'm satisfied with OS X 10.1.5, so I see no reason to upgrade now, or soon, for that matter. Maybe when OS X 10.5 is here. But I'll get that with a new Mac, if I buy one.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    radar, I just read your post again. I still don't get what the beef is. Did you read what I talked about in 4, 8 and 9?

:confused:

Are you mad because I like Macs or not? What was the prime?

BTW, I'm not a rabid, "anti Windows" zealot (everyone I know uses it, so I can't be ragging on my Mom and sister 24/7, can I?).

But, for what I do, my occupation, my 9-plus year immersion in the field, the investment in software, fonts, utilities, various shareware doo-dads, what I've learned (and continue to), the places I work (ALWAYS Mac-based), etc. the thought of being a Windows user has, to be honest, simply never crossed my mind.

If I was a carpenter and used to a certain set of tools to get my work done comfortably and efficiently, I probably wouldn't be looking around at other jobs, other tools, etc. and drastically changing tools, habits, methods, etc.

But that wouldn't make me a "close-minded" carpenter.

I've never "washed my hands" after using Windows or have written some big cheesy article on "Window SUX...and here's 52 reasons why!!!".

Honestly, I don't HAVE 52 reasons. But I've used it enough (in certain jobs and with friends and family and during "transition" periods) to know that I don't prefer it over the Mac.

Maybe if I'd STARTED on a PC nearly 10 years ago? Perhaps. But I didn't, so...

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 47 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by Scooterboy:

<strong>You know, this is the first time since moving to the Mac that I've been disapointed. I mean, I love my iBook 600 combo and use it every day. It's the best computer I've ever owned. I don't need blazing speed to render 100 MB sound files (not yet). I also don't need a $100 per year email service. So I've already switched (email services, not computers). I dropped Yahoo! when they started charging, and I've dropped mac.com (.Mac). It was a pain, only because I really liked my mac.com address and gently reminding everyone I email that I'm a Mac user. And I recall Apple saying that iTools is "free" and one of the benefits of owning a Mac. So that's one less benefit, not enough to make me switch to PC. But it's also one less reason for PC users to switch to Mac.

As for OS X 10.2, I can't afford to pay $130 for another OS X upgrade, fine as it may be. I'm satisfied with OS X 10.1.5, so I see no reason to upgrade now, or soon, for that matter. Maybe when OS X 10.5 is here. But I'll get that with a new Mac, if I buy one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you eligible for that update thing? I'm not quite sure how that works, but maybe you're in a position where you don't have to pay the full $129? Check around, I'm not sure.

So I take it that 10.2 is going to be too big to download, so we'll have to go into the store and buy it in the box? No getting around it? I mean, for all it has, it's worth it and I'll gladly pay.

And everyone's upset about the $100/year .mac thing, but remember: you can get the first year for $49 as an existing user. That's half off. I'm going to.

He (Steve) said they would be adding stuff to it as time goes on, so by the time next year rolls around (and we have to pay the full $99 fee), who knows what kind of cool, useful and worthwhile features .mac might have?

Surely the storage space will go up. Perhaps the number of e-mails you can have, hosting space, etc.

I'd rather give $49 (and ultimately $99) to Apple than just about any other company I can think of at this point. Doesn't bother me, as long as their stuff is reliable and fast and works like it's supposed to.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    pscates: I'm not trying to argue, just had some comments.

The fact that I quoted your whole post doesn't mean I completely disagree.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    My reply to a recently recieved Apple news email telling me the best way to upgrade to OS X 10.2 is by buying a new Mac:

I just bought a Mac last November, so I won't be buying a new one just now, but thanks for the information.

I also won't be using my mac.com address in the near future, so please send any future emails to my new address: [email protected] [I don't want a bunch of Appleinsiders to spoil my nice free email which is part of my nice free ISP, which is outside the US, if you must know ;-) ]

I'm quite happy with my [new] pop mail service, so unfortunately at this time I see no compelling reason to begin paying a substantial fee for what I was told was a free email account at the time of purchasing my iBook. It's unfortunate because I really enjoyed subtly reminding everyone that I use a Mac every time I emailed from my Mac.com account. I'm afraid this may be the last time that I do that. But of course, you don't need to be reminded that I'm a Mac user.

Regards,
  • Reply 50 of 58
    I see. Cool.

I just felt misunderstood (and misrepresented) there for a bit, that's all.

I just found out in another thread that it looks like you can keep your mac.com e-mail even if you opt out of the .mac thing, so that should satisfy and quieten a lot of the uproar today.

Most people just want their e-mail to go unmessed-with. Can't blame them. They won't have iDisk, Homepage, etc., but probably isn't that big a deal to them.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cobra:

<strong>To the whiners:

1. Do you REALLY need more powerful hardware?

2. Or, is it PC envy?

Now, if it was a software issue that was the problem, like the OS, I can see where the whining would be coming from.

Yeah, I too would like to see new, faster towers. It is going to happen but it won't be real significant until a whole new processor is developed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

shut up
  • Reply 52 of 58
    dumpsterdumpster Posts: 16member
    [quote]Originally posted by Yet Another Registration:

<strong>

1) The constant whining gives people a place to get all of their FUD needs about the Mac platform.

2) The negativity drowns out the support of the concept of an online community, such as one fostered by AI.

3) The self-hating nature of the whining is psychologically unhealthy for you.

You all add nothing to the platform, nothing to AppleInsider, and nothing to intelligent discussion. Please consider spending your time doing something else.

TING5</strong><hr></blockquote>

Puh-leeze.

There's a difference between voicing legitimate dissent and whining.

" . . . FUD needs on the Mac platform." You have to be kidding me. This is like saying "You, as a member of the &lt;republicrat&gt; party have NO RIGHT to CRITICIZE the President's policy on &lt;whatever&gt;--you're just giving ammunition to the &lt;liberals/conservatives&gt;." The Mac community is above this.

"Drowns out support . . . " Unless you define "community" to being a place where only the politically correct may be heard--in this case what is politically correct is always agreeing with everything Apple does.

If someone is mindlessly bitching up a storm, then, yes, they're wasting BBS time.

"Self hating nature . . . . " yes, that would be unhealthy for oneself. So would living devoid of self-critique.

"|nothing to contribute|" Wrong. Production decisions are based more upon the NEGATIVE input of users [for any field] than upon positive--if you run a business, you MUST listen to your customers and if they rise up as an angry mob and demand 'X and Y', you'd better consider giving it to them [or Z, if you can convince them it's better].

That's business. No, AI criticism is going to determine the course of Apple production--especially since they're more concerned with the non-enthusiast crowd [as all businesses are]. But they'd be foolish to dismiss it entirely.

Some posts here are moronic, that's true of any BBS; however, many of the posts I'm reading here have very legitimate gripes and non-gripes--they do deserve a voice.

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: dumpster ]</p>
  • Reply 53 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by dumpster:

<strong>

Yes. I do. And no, I'm not leaving Mac now--and won't until I'm forced to do so.

I can only afford about 1k$ every year for a machine--so I picked up the G4/533/DA/Radeon on education discount about a year ago. I love the machine and am getting used to OSX.

But, it is NOT powerful enough for a lot of tasks. Editing 100MB sound files is possible [which was not practical on my G3/upgrade]--but it could definitely be faster and make my day better. Not to mention that video-game performance is truly lacklustre: literally on-par with my ca 1999 PC [I have 3 PMacs, 1PC].

I will own the fastest Mac that I can afford--but I cannot afford 3k$ for a machine. Unfortunately, Macs don't have the aftermarket that x86 has, whereby I can build a dual 1.8GHz Athlon system for 700$ and put my existing hardware into it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you thought about using one of the new 1Ghz upgrades? That and one of those WD Special Edition drives with the 8 meg cache could probably give you machine a fair bit of a speed boost (Gobs of RAM help too).

I have a G4/400 and given what is available from Apple today, the above (800 Mhz perhaps), along with a Radeon of some sort and Jaguar is probably what I'm going to do. I mean, for a $1000 there isn't a lot to work with in the Apple line. I can buy an all in one machine with a 100 mhz bus or I can spend the same money and expand my existing machine with a 100 Mhz bus. If Apple can make something compelling enough and affordable enough by September I may pass this ol' gal down and move up (In a perfect world I'd do both, but as Tonio K sings "No, this ain't no Perfect World"). We'll see.

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: BobtheTomato ]</p>
  • Reply 54 of 58
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Forgive my late arrival, but pscates: good post. Apple released some incredibly innovative and forward-thinking technology today. Rendezvous and iSync have the potential to make life a lot easier for a large percentage of users, much more so than any 200 Mhz speed bump. I don't see how anyone can look beyond their own preoccupations (largely motivated by PC envy anyway) and not see that.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    [quote] Forgive my late arrival, but pscates: good post. Apple released some incredibly innovative and forward-thinking technology today. Rendezvous and iSync have the potential to make life a lot easier for a large percentage of users, much more so than any 200 Mhz speed bump. I don't see how anyone can look beyond their own preoccupations (largely motivated by PC envy anyway) and not see that.<hr></blockquote>

The Digital Hub products announced were not incredibly innovative, although they show some foresight as long as the Digital Hub concept is the right way for Apple to go (and I'm not convinced of that). I think Rendezvous will be a big thing though.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>

Have you thought about using one of the new 1Ghz upgrades? That and one of those WD Special Edition drives with the 8 meg cache . . . . </strong><hr></blockquote>

Didn't know there was a 1GHz upgrade! Definite possibility. What I'd LOVE to see is a dual-cpu upgrade, where I could buy a dual card w/a single 533 and drop my existing one onto it. If someone makes it [for a reasonable price], I'll buy it.

I think I may change my mind on Jaguar: I can get it via Education for 69$ and since I have a Radeon, I can take advantage of QE. Also, if it can natively network to Windows machine it'd be a major plus [claims it can, but I need to look into it more].
  • Reply 57 of 58
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    [quote]Many are just hung up on the mhz number game without real basis. If you are running aps or designing web pages. high end graphics, etc. then you have a right to get impatient waiting for the next pro tower. But if truth be known, the majority of Apple owners are probably not any of the above. <hr></blockquote>

Even if one grants the assertion that the majority of Apple owners are probably not high-end graphics or video users, the fact remains that those very users are typically among the most loyal and hardcore Apple fans. They make a living with the PowerMac; they design on it, record on it, render on it, create on it. As you say, those users have a right to be impatient with the lackluster high-end hardware. Apple cannot afford to ignore its base.

----------------------------------------

Waiting in Nashville
  • Reply 58 of 58
    [quote]

Even if one grants the assertion that the majority of Apple owners are probably not high-end graphics or video users, the fact remains that those very users are typically among the most loyal and hardcore Apple fans. They make a living with the PowerMac; they design on it, record on it, render on it, create on it. As you say, those users have a right to be impatient with the lackluster high-end hardware. Apple cannot afford to ignore its base.

<hr></blockquote>

Agreed. It's hard not to think the Apple is aiming at high-end graphics and video users with the whole "digital lifestyle" shtick. Personally, I don't like that whole tack and I myself am not that kind of user, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that Apple owes powerful computers to that crowd. They are for sure the core user base.