Apple Music users complain iCloud Music Library deletes, renames iTunes content

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2015
Some people turning on iCloud Music Library to make full use of Apple Music are instead coping with deleted songs and playlists, in addition to other problems, according to complaints on Apple's support forums and testing by AppleInsider.

iCloud Music Library, an option in both iOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2, is needed for advanced Apple Music features such as offline caching and remote streaming of an uploaded iTunes library. For at least some users, however, turning the option on may not only delete local playlists but cause the songs that were in them to vanish. Syncing changes can potentially wipe out files and playlists across devices.

Less serious issues can include iCloud substituting bad metadata and artwork, creating duplicates, or restoring music that was previously deleted from iTunes Match. Indeed, the problems are similar to those that have been affecting Match users in recent days, and to a lesser extent since Match launched in November 2011.

Another reported problem with iCloud Music Library, noticed by blogger Kirk McElhearn, is that if it matches an uploaded file with one on Apple's servers, trying to download the file again will yield a copy-protected version rather than the one that was originally uploaded. iTunes Match normally restores originals.

One current solution to renamed or missing files appears involve retrieving an earlier ITL (iTunes library) file, dragging it into the iTunes folder, and then renaming the newer, corrupt file to something different followed by changing the restored one to "iTunes Library.itl". Opening iTunes again should show a fixed collection, although users should not attempt to turn on iCloud Music Library a second time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Why is it always ‘some users’ and not ‘all’ users? It’s either a bug or it’s not. iTunes is iTunes and Yosemite is Yosemite and your iTunes Library is your iTunes Library. What about those people experiencing trouble could be different from those not having issues? Hardware configuration should have nothing to do with it. Corruption is the only thing I can think of.

• Reply 2 of 102
    mchance27mchance27 Posts: 13member

Yup.  I just upgraded my 6 to iOS 8.4 and now all my iTunes match playlists are GONE.  Can't tell yet if I'm missing actual music--my library is too big to notice at a glance.

• Reply 3 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hasn't iTunes Match always been a bit of a clusterf*ck? I purchased the entire Beatles library from iTunes but when I go to my music in the Music app almost all of the albums have the same cover art and many of them are missing tracks. Of course when I go to the iTunes Store it shows me 178 Beatles songs "not on this iPhone". Why would some be on my iPhone but not others? And why would I get the same generic album art for every album?
  • Reply 4 of 102
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member

The DRM issue shouldn't have happened at all. Apple should be able to keep track of what was uploaded.

• Reply 5 of 102
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    And this is why i'm making use of a 3 month trial from Spotify now. In three months time when things settle down Ill get set up %uF8FFMusic
  • Reply 6 of 102
    noicc1138noicc1138 Posts: 55member

The metadata on my iTunes match library was all messed up just before 8.4.  I had doubles, incorrect artwork,  artists were bunch together.  The 8.4 update fixed it on my iPad. However, I had to restore from backup on my iPhone 6. Everything seems fine now. 

• Reply 7 of 102
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why is it always ‘some users’ and not ‘all’ users? It’s either a bug or it’s not. iTunes is iTunes and Yosemite is Yosemite and your iTunes Library is your iTunes Library. What about those people experiencing trouble could be different from those not having issues? Hardware configuration should have nothing to do with it. Corruption is the only thing I can think of.

That is by far the dumbest thing I have read in months.

For all matters, an iTunes Library is not an iTunes Library. It does make a huge difference, if you only have tracks bought from iTunes (these seem to be untouched by the update), or also tracks you have ripped yourself, or bought elsewhere. 12.2 almost exclusively ruins metadata, tracks, albums and playlists including non-iTunes stuff, or iTunes stuff where metadata has been edited (e.g. to put in correct years or composers). Putting hundreds of hours in a well-maintained collection is not "corruption".

The absolutely only thing iTunes needs to do, is leave local files alone. If it can't do that, it should not exist. In my case it tried ro be as clever as "fixing" duplicate songs (I have never used that command for a good reason, I know it can't work) automatically and without warning. But, sure enough, there were songs I had multiple times for a reason (as they were different remasterings, or different live recordings). They have been literally wiped out. Not put into the trashcan, I mean wiped out.

It is great that Apple can rely on apologists to declare users dumb when Apple's shit is neither properly tested nor working, but this software should have never been released as a "version" without a beta moniker. It is actively destroying data. Proven. 

Since Serlet and Forstall are gone, software quality went down the drain at lightning speed. The current clowns are not cutting it. Sad truth.

• Reply 8 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

That is by far the dumbest thing I have read in months.

For all matters, an iTunes Library is not an iTunes Library. It does make a huge difference, if you only have tracks bought from iTunes (these seem to be untouched by the update), or also tracks you have ripped yourself, or bought elsewhere. 12.2 almost exclusively ruins metadata, tracks, albums and playlists including non-iTunes stuff, or iTunes stuff where metadata has been edited (e.g. to put in correct years or composers). Putting hundreds of hours in a well-maintained collection is not "corruption".

The absolutely only thing iTunes needs to do, is leave local files alone. If it can't do that, it should not exist. In my case it tried ro be as clever as "fixing" duplicate songs (I have never used that command for a good reason, I know it can't work) automatically and without warning. But, sure enough, there were songs I had multiple times for a reason (as they were different remasterings, or different live recordings). They have been literally wiped out. Not put into the trashcan, I mean wiped out.

It is great that Apple can rely on apologists to declare users dumb when Apple's shit is neither properly tested nor working, but this software should have never been released as a "version" without a beta moniker. It is actively destroying data. Proven. 

Since Serlet and Forstall are gone, software quality went down the drain at lightning speed. The current clowns are not cutting it. Sad truth.

I have a very mixed library of purchased, ripped, other sources files. Explain to me why my library has not been “exclusively ruined by 12.2.” Per usual claims are made that cannot be substantiated and instead rely on anecdotes, counting ‘views’ and Google ‘hits’.

• Reply 9 of 102
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    iTunes Match had a few hiccups for me when it first launched but they were addressed through various consumer and server side updates. It's working so well now that I'm afraid to update. is there such a thing as keeping my current setup (iTunes Match) and trying out the new Beats Music service?
  • Reply 10 of 102
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I am not arguing or or against your other stuff, but please substantiate the above.   Please show actual physical data to support it.   Any sort of verifiable metric that shows what you claim.

• Reply 11 of 102
    It also swallowed all my Beats playlists, and won't let me add any new music. Kind of a rough start.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    Only now you start to report how Apple FUCKED us with this shit totally destroying our libraries. I haven't even upgraded yet and music on my iOS devices is Rialto FUCKED without me doing ANYTHING.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    I have had the problem (seems to have stopped now) of Apple trying to download all my iTunes movie/tv purchases... I had to delete all the 'videos' content several times today as my 128gb iPhone 6 has been gotten maxed out...
    I did notice something strange yesterday when I signed up for apple music, a notice kept popping up near the top of the app saying how many file were uploading and I kept hitting the 'cancel all uploads' button.
    The music I have on my phone did not change whatsoever, and I still have my playlists.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

I am not arguing or or against your other stuff, but please substantiate the above.   Please show actual physical data to support it.   Any sort of verifiable metric that shows what you claim.

He can’t and that’s the point. All he’s got is his perception. 

• Reply 15 of 102
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Apple Music 1.0
  • Reply 16 of 102
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Only now you start to report how Apple FUCKED us with this shit totally destroying our libraries. I haven't even upgraded yet and music on my iOS devices is Rialto FUCKED without me doing ANYTHING.

Genius Bar. Go. We'll wait.
  • Reply 17 of 102
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    It's been a mess for me as well.

Turning on ITunes in the Cloud caused countless lower res Match versions of my ripped music to appear in my Library. I could set iTunes to only show local files, but then how would I see Appe Music files saved for offline listening? I turned off Match some time ago, and cancelled renewal also some time ago, but tuff must have been there. Why you can't delete it makes no sense.

It also split some albums into two, and randomly mixed iCloud files within my local albums, so many albums had multiple versions of songs, one local lossless and one cloud verson.

Beyond that, For You recommendations are awful, despite having carefully picked the genres and artists I like (if I select Brian Eno, Steve Reich, and King Crimson, should I ever see Kelly Clarkson, Beyoncé, or Taylor Swift? Good god...) it feels like I'm being forced things just for their marketing arrangements.

And no one inour family is comfortable exploring things, keeping track of where you've been, and finding offline content. The interface is not good at all. Too complicated.

And Jony Ive's minimalist design is going too far....there are gui elements that are barely noticeable, and some are actually invisible (press and hold on a suggested playlist brings up a hidden menu on IOS - though inconsistently no equivalent menu on the Mac. So in that menu I can say show less of that choice, but if I never want to see Rhianna again, why can't I say Ignore this Artist?)

Oh, so many things imperfect with those release...as a long time Apple guy, I am shocked to be frank.

Turning on ITunes in the Cloud should NOT be necessary to listen and sync offline content. It's no different than purchasing tracks and downloading them to multiple devices...cloud storage is not necessary. Stop forcing cloud based services when they are not necessary! And if you insist, get it right the first time.

So now , with iCloud music services off, I cannot listen to offline content. So now I question whether I will keep the family plan service after the trial.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    hey1953hey1953 Posts: 2member
    When I signed up for iCloud Music Library I choose "murge" instead of "replace" and none of my music from both my phone and computer were touched besides being uploaded. There's all these articles talking about these problems but none of them talk about how selecting this option keeps your music untouched. I guess it might just have been this why for me, but the "murge" selection does give the impression that it would do very little to your current music collection
  • Reply 19 of 102
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Interesting logic.

• Reply 20 of 102
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Interesting logic.

There's little logic.

There are many permutations of iTunes installations. Many may only have purchased music for years, and have't ripped a CD in ages. Others may do the opposite, and buy CD's so they can rip lossless. Some use Match. Some don't. Some don't, but used to. Etc. Etc. Etc.