Apple Music users complain iCloud Music Library deletes, renames iTunes content

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Hey, this is simple... Apple Music just took over your entire library, erasing anything that wasn't Apple sourced. Thank you Jimmy Iovine, you whore. Now you mindless fanboys will get a taste of the ongoing collapse of Apple's content creation app space. It's now happening in the content consumption space. Tragic, pointless, small minded and Steve J is spinning in his Buddhist molecular grave, chanting "WTF?" A car? Yeah, thats what they need. A car! Cash out and buy gold.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Genius Bar. Go. We'll wait.

He's calling the people at AppleInsider are Fuckheads for only reporting this after there was a story to report. I guess he wanted AI to use their WABAC Machine to report on this before it happened. He also seems to blame AI for having this happen to him even though he hasn't updated his device.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

That is by far the dumbest thing I have read in months.

Dumbest?  Whose dumb..Apple?  Users?

Quote:

For all matters, an iTunes Library is not an iTunes Library. 

I have no idea what that means. 

Quote:

It does make a huge difference, if you only have tracks bought from iTunes (these seem to be untouched by the update), or also tracks you have ripped yourself, or bought elsewhere. 12.2 almost exclusively ruins metadata, tracks, albums and playlists including non-iTunes stuff, or iTunes stuff where metadata has been edited (e.g. to put in correct years or composers). Putting hundreds of hours in a well-maintained collection is not "corruption".

Well, that's why we back things up, especially with new software.  

Quote:

The absolutely only thing iTunes needs to do, is leave local files alone. If it can't do that, it should not exist.

Again, I don't know what this means.  The only thing it needs to do? 

Quote:

In my case it tried ro be as clever as "fixing" duplicate songs (I have never used that command for a good reason, I know it can't work) automatically and without warning. But, sure enough, there were songs I had multiple times for a reason (as they were different remasterings, or different live recordings). They have been literally wiped out. Not put into the trashcan, I mean wiped out.

Sounds like a pretty bad bug.  Repeat after me:  Back up.  

Quote:

t is great that Apple can rely on apologists to declare users dumb when Apple's shit is neither properly tested nor working, but this software should have never been released as a "version" without a beta moniker. It is actively destroying data. Proven. 

Since Serlet and Forstall are gone, software quality went down the drain at lightning speed. The current clowns are not cutting it. Sad truth.

OK, this is where you go off the rails.  I haven't read of anyone calling you or other users "dumb."  And the only thing that is "proven" is that some users are having problems with merging libraries, especially with uploaded content.  

As for the last part, that's just batshit crazy.  Forstall gave us the dreaded "real world"  (skeuomorphism) look to apps, Apple Maps (which is still not completely fixed), and plenty of other problems.  The software I run has been far more stable in the last few years, not to mention better looking.  I think you're clearly pissed about an obvious bug in the first version of software.  While I won't call you dumb, I will say that turning over your music collection to Apple Music without a rock solid backup is very risky, at best.  

• Reply 24 of 102
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    He's calling the people at AppleInsider are Fuckheads for only reporting this after there was a story to report. I guess he wanted AI to use their WABAC Machine to report on this before it happened. He also seems to blame AI for having this happen to him even though he hasn't updated his device.

To be fair this was being reported elsewhere far earlier than they posted it here.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

That is by far the dumbest thing I have read in months.

For all matters, an iTunes Library is not an iTunes Library. It does make a huge difference, if you only have tracks bought from iTunes (these seem to be untouched by the update), or also tracks you have ripped yourself, or bought elsewhere. 12.2 almost exclusively ruins metadata, tracks, albums and playlists including non-iTunes stuff, or iTunes stuff where metadata has been edited (e.g. to put in correct years or composers). Putting hundreds of hours in a well-maintained collection is not "corruption".

The absolutely only thing iTunes needs to do, is leave local files alone. If it can't do that, it should not exist. In my case it tried ro be as clever as "fixing" duplicate songs (I have never used that command for a good reason, I know it can't work) automatically and without warning. But, sure enough, there were songs I had multiple times for a reason (as they were different remasterings, or different live recordings). They have been literally wiped out. Not put into the trashcan, I mean wiped out.

It is great that Apple can rely on apologists to declare users dumb when Apple's shit is neither properly tested nor working, but this software should have never been released as a "version" without a beta moniker. It is actively destroying data. Proven. 

Since Serlet and Forstall are gone, software quality went down the drain at lightning speed. The current clowns are not cutting it. Sad truth.

I have a very mixed library of purchased, ripped, other sources files. Explain to me why my library has not been “exclusively ruined by 12.2.” Per usual claims are made that cannot be substantiated and instead rely on anecdotes, counting ‘views’ and Google ‘hits’.

How the hell is your comment not "anecdotal"?

• Reply 26 of 102
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

This. 

• Reply 27 of 102
    To be fair this was being reported elsewhere far earlier than they posted it here.

That doesn't change anything. The libraries would still be fucked up. If you want the fastest news you go to a site that creates quick blog entries, like MR, not to a site that actually trying to write articles.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I think that Apple's ecosystem is getting to be more and more complex to tie together. Across multiple devices -- Macs, iPads, iPods, iPhones, Watch, AppleTV -- and multiple software platforms and programs -- OS X, iOS, iTunes, iCloud, iTunes U, iBooks, iPhoto, AppleMusic, WatchOS, iMovie, Xcode, Swift, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Final Cut, Safari, QuickTime, Maps (I am missing more than a few) -- it has all become a bit too sprawling.

Complexity is the key enemy of large organizations. Given that it's ecosystem has been one of Apple's biggest sources of competitive advantage, someone at the company needs to take a meta-look at what's going on, and may need to start to simply things.

I remember a time when Jobs used to boast about how Apple was one of the largest and most successful companies in the world but had become so with just a handful of products and services. (I don't recall the exact quote, but perhaps someone can fill in?). Increasingly, this is not true. It is far from being a huge problem yet for Apple's growth or market value, but it can there sooner than we realize.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    chadbag wrote: »
    I am not arguing or or against your other stuff, but please substantiate the above.   Please show actual physical data to support it.   Any sort of verifiable metric that shows what you claim.

Also iTunes and iCloud are under Eddy Cue's org. Quite honestly I think his organization needs a shake up. It's the one org within Apple that isn't truly functional and is just a hodgepodge of stuff that I guess Cook didn't know where else to put. Personally I would like to see his org broken up. Have Eddy run one organization consisting of iTunes, AppStore, ?TV, ?Music and ?Pay. And then bring in someone else to run iCloud, Maps and Siri.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    rpetersrpeters Posts: 15member
    I swear Apple is hiring DeVry grads for coders. 10.10.4 wrecked one of my Mail accounts and I can't seem to stream more than seven or eight songs in Apple Music without it cutting out. I cannot wait for July 29th and Windows 10.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    To all- I tried to delete my post 2 mins after I posted it because it was vulgar and totally I appropriate but could not figure out how to to that from the Apple Insider app on my iPhone. I am ashamed of the post but will live with the consequences. I am angry and frustrated with Ape for what they have done to peoe who have upgraded to iOS 8.4 and iTunes 12.2 with regard to their libraries, but I am even more frustrated with how the prices has botched my libraries even though I have not upgrade or tried to use Apple Music. I have done nothing and it has hosed me. But what really frustrates me is regardless of the h
  • Reply 32 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I think that Apple's ecosystem is getting to be more and more complex to tie together. Across multiple devices -- Macs, iPads, iPods, iPhones, Watch, AppleTV -- and multiple software platforms and programs -- OS X, iOS, iTunes, iCloud, iTunes U, iBooks, iPhoto, AppleMusic, WatchOS, iMovie, Xcode, Swift, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Final Cut, Safari, QuickTime, Maps (I am missing more than a few) -- it has all become a bit too sprawling.

Complexity is the key enemy of large organizations. Given that it's ecosystem has been one of Apple's biggest sources of competitive advantage, someone at the company needs to take a meta-look at what's going on, and may need to start to simply things.

I remember a time when Jobs used to boast about how Apple was one of the largest and most successful companies in the world but had become so with just a handful of products and services. (I don't recall the exact quote, but perhaps someone can fill in?). Increasingly, this is not true. It is far from being a huge problem yet for Apple's growth or market value, but it can there sooner than we realize.

I agree that Apple needs to get back to simplicity as much as possible. Over at 9to5Mac Jeremy Horowitz wrote an editorial about how Apple's new UI VP needs to focus on more intuitive software and used Apple Music as an example. The new Music app is overwhelming and much more complicated than it needs to be. And unfortunately on the desktop side they just bolted it on to the existing bloated iTunes app. Not good Apple, not good.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    Hundreds of posts to AI and the Apple forums, AI has not reported on this as a significant issue.
  • Reply 34 of 102

To all, I tried to delete my original post 2 minutes after I posted it because it was vulgar and inappropriate but could not figure out how to do it from the ApplInsider app. I then tried to apologize for it but my response was deleted as I was typing it. I am ashamed of my post, but will face the consequences of it. I am frustrated at what Apple has done to our libraries, more frustrated that is was done to is who have not yet upgraded and done nothing so far except to see our music screwed up, and even more frustrated at AI for a lack of reporting it. You will see that in a later truncated stand alone post. I am sorry.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    Hundreds of posts to AI and the Apple forums, AI has not reported on this as a significant issue.

"Apple Music users complain iCloud Music Library deletes, renames iTunes content"
  • Reply 36 of 102
    To all, I tried to delete my original post 2 minutes after I posted it because it was vulgar and inappropriate but could not figure out how to do it from the ApplInsider app. I then tried to apologize for it but my response was deleted as I was typing it. I am ashamed of my post, but will face the consequences of it. I am frustrated at what Apple has done to our libraries, more frustrated that is was done to is who have not yet upgraded and done nothing so far except to see our music screwed up, and even more frustrated at AI for a lack of reporting it. You will see that in a later truncated stand alone post. I am sorry.

1) That is more reasoned, but you're still blaming AI for this in a forum thread attached to an article in which they are reporting on the issue.

2) Always back up your local libraries. You can't have everything connected and synced and except for it to never have a problem, either from a centralized issue from the provider, something you've done, or simply from a HW failure. This means you are ultimately responsible for your own data.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    I'm sharing iTunes library off my mac mini. But I can't find shared library in my iPhone. Anybody has the same problem?
  • Reply 38 of 102
    "Apple Music users complain iCloud Music Library deletes, renames iTunes content"

Again, to the I community, I am truly sorry for my inappropriate post.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    The same problem I had when I enabled the iCloud Music Library for offline listening - my purchased and ripped songs suddenly were missing. This is what I just found out to restore them:

1. In the My Music click on Albums.
    2. At the bottom of the table view screen, there is an option that says "Show Music Available Offline" which is turned on. By toggling it to "off" my playlists and songs just came back.

After this, don't enable the iCloud Music Library again until Apple has a solid fix.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    1) That is more reasoned, but you're still blaming AI for this in a forum thread attached to an article in which they are reporting on the issue.

2) Always back up your local libraries. You can't have everything connected and synced and except for it to never have a problem, either from a centralized issue from the provider, something you've done, or simply from a HW failure. This means you are ultimately responsible for your own data.

Your always sage advice is correct, and I have restored my iMac library from a backup. However, because of the problems with iTunes Match (for those of us who have not upgraded due to the numerous problems with the libraries In "Apple iCloud Music Library"), I have had to turn off iTunes Match and no longer have access to my music on my three family iPhone, my three family iPads, and my three family Apple TVs. Thank you AI for letting me report this.