Apple Music users complain iCloud Music Library deletes, renames iTunes content

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) That is more reasoned, but you're still blaming AI for this in a forum thread attached to an article in which they are reporting on the issue.

2) Always back up your local libraries. You can't have everything connected and synced and except for it to never have a problem, either from a centralized issue from the provider, something you've done, or simply from a HW failure. This means you are ultimately responsible for your own data.

Damn this iPhone app, my reply to myself above was meant as a reply to you. I tired, I will shut up now
  • Reply 42 of 102
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Damn this iPhone app, my reply to myself above was meant as a reply to you. I tired, I will shut up now

Now that you can blame AI for. :D
  • Reply 43 of 102
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Apple Maps comes to iTunes.
  • Reply 44 of 102
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Since Serlet and Forstall are gone, software quality went down the drain at lightning speed. The current clowns are not cutting it. Sad truth.

Complete horse-shit, and that conclusion is pure laziness on your part. 

- Since Forstall left, the # of features and capabilities in Apple products has skyrocketed (iOS6-iOS8, OSX 10.8-10.10) creating many more variables and use cases where things may not work as expected

- Since Forstall left, the # of people using Apple products has also exploded, creating a much larger base of potential complaints. 

There isn't a SINGLE metric that shows an objective measure of software quality going down. Not one. Customer sat is through the roof, and so are sales. This would not be the case if the software was shit, and run by "clowns" are you state. Your "sad truth" is nothing more than kneejerk garbage, without a shred of verifiable or objective data besides your own subjective whining. Stop labelling your skewed opinions as "truth". Apple products work better for me today, and are more enjoyable, useful, well-made, and effective, than at any other point in their history. The fact that you define the people running by far the most successful and loved company on the planet "clowns" says a lot about you. 

• Reply 45 of 102
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Since Serlet and Forstall are gone, software quality went down the drain at lightning speed. The current clowns are not cutting it. Sad truth.

Complete horse-shit, and that conclusion is pure laziness on your part. 

- Since Forstall left, the # of features and capabilities in Apple products has skyrocketed (iOS6-iOS8, OSX 10.8-10.10) creating many more variables and use cases where things may not work as expected

- Since Forstall left, the # of people using Apple products has also exploded, creating a much larger base of potential complaints. 

There isn't a SINGLE metric that shows an objective measure of software quality going down. Not one. Customer sat is through the roof, and so are sales. This would not be the case if the software was shit, and run by "clowns" are you state. Your "sad truth" is nothing more than kneejerk garbage, without a shred of verifiable or objective data besides your own subjective whining. Stop labelling your skewed opinions as "truth". Apple products work better for me today, and are more enjoyable, useful, well-made, and effective, than at any other point in their history. The fact that you define the people running by far the most successful and loved company on the planet "clowns" says a lot about you. 

"- Since Forstall left, the # of features and capabilities in Apple products has skyrocketed (iOS6-iOS8, OSX 10.8-10.10) creating many more variables and use cases where things may not work as expected"

?I'm sorry…. Did you think this refutes his post??  You've just made his point for him.

You want a "feature count", you should move to Samsung / Android.

I've never ever said this type of thing before, but yes; Steve Jobs would be turning in his grave.

"- Since Forstall left, the # of people using Apple products has also exploded, creating a much larger base of potential complaints."

Talk about a lazy answer...

Slurp, I think you are one of the smartest people who posts on this board. But you're missing it on this one.

• Reply 46 of 102
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Why is it always ‘some users’ and not ‘all’ users? It’s either a bug or it’s not. iTunes is iTunes and Yosemite is Yosemite and your iTunes Library is your iTunes Library. What about those people experiencing trouble could be different from those not having issues? Hardware configuration should have nothing to do with it. Corruption is the only thing I can think of.
    No it's not corruption. It's because the authors of iTunes don't use iTunes so they fail to understand how iTunes is used by customers so they build in what they perceive to be “Features“ that are in fact “Bugs”. I'm one of those who lost thousands of playlists and songs by turning ON iCloud Music Library on my iOS 8.4 iPad Air 2 Tuesday morning just after agreeing to the Apple Music service 3-month free trial and then ONLY AFTER DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING and LAUNCHING iTunes 12.2 Tuesday NIGHT did everything disappear from my 4TB iTunes Library - no Playlists (were thousands) and no music. The fix was a 6 hour Time Machine Recovery from my 2TB Time Capsule. Now back with iCloud Music Library turned OFF on my iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6 Plus and happy with the pre-Apple Music aware iTunes 12.1.2. So it's not about Corruption it's about those of us who use iTunes to manage many thousands of playlists and songs manually vs those others who don't.:no:
  • Reply 47 of 102
    tiger2tiger2 Posts: 31member
    thrang wrote: »

And Jony Ive's minimalist design is going too far....there are gui elements that are barely noticeable, and some are actually invisible (press and hold on a suggested playlist brings up a hidden menu on IOS - though inconsistently no equivalent menu on the Mac. So in that menu I can say show less of that choir, but if I never want to see Rhianna again, why can't I say Ignore this Artist?)

Totally agree with the first part of this.
  • Reply 48 of 102
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

2) Always back up your local libraries. You can't have everything connected and synced and except for it to never have a problem, either from a centralized issue from the provider, something you've done, or simply from a HW failure. This means you are ultimately responsible for your own data.

That is good advice (and it's something I always do with all my media), but it's somewhat lame that the most valuable company can't do better vis-a-vis the cloud on a medium (music) that it presumably knows a lot about, when everything and everyone in the industry seems to be moving in that direction.

How will stuff like this be viewed as Apple is trying to push into the enterprise? I'll bet many of the key decision makers in these firms are Apple and iCloud users for the media in their personal lives.
  • Reply 49 of 102
    That is good advice (and it's something I always do with all my media), but it's somewhat lame that the most valuable company can't do better vis-a-vis the cloud on a medium (music) that it presumably knows a lot about, when everything and everyone in the industry seems to be moving in that direction.

How will stuff like this be viewed as Apple is trying to push into the enterprise? I'll bet many of the key decision makers in these firms are Apple and iCloud users for the media in their personal lives.

I agree that it certainly doesn't look good. How does this even happen at this point, and with people not upgraded past iOS 8.3? I wonder if the reported outages today are part of the issue with a perceived loss, or perhaps Apple trying to correct and restore from a backend issue.

The thing I dislike most about Apple is how they continually act like a small company when there is such an excess of people using their systems as soon as they go live. A tiered rollout has a lot of benefits and we see that from companies, but it never seems like I see it from Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    chadbag wrote: »
    I am not arguing or or against your other stuff, but please substantiate the above.   Please show actual physical data to support it.   Any sort of verifiable metric that shows what you claim.

Sometimes you can't quantify things so precisely. It's just a feeling. Especially if you're a long time customer. I agree with his assessment. New releases seem a lot shakier to me than in years past. Just today I was working in one user account with another logged in and Yosemite decided that both accounts just needed to logout simultaneously for no apparent reason. Cloud services continue to be Apple's Achilles heel. I have meta-data issues in iTunes all the time. I'm an iTunes Match subscriber. Duplicate track listings. Albums split apart.

Most importantly, and of most concern to me, at this point all of the major talent from NeXT is gone. Are their replacements really on their level? Because all of the NeXT people were really smart.
  • Reply 51 of 102
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

I agree that it certainly doesn't look good. How does this even happen at this point, and with people not upgraded past iOS 8.3? I wonder if the reported outages today are part of the issue with a perceived loss, or perhaps Apple trying to correct and restore from a backend issue.

The thing I dislike most about Apple is how they continually act like a small company when there is such an excess of people using their systems as soon as they go live. A tiered rollout has a lot of benefits and we see that from companies, but it never seems like I see it from Apple.

If Apple is going to be expanding into health, auto, enterprise, etc., they probably need start to think about some serious reorganization. Maybe put these new initiatives into a new spun-off company with a separate chain of responsibilities.

I wonder what such a company might be named! :D
  • Reply 52 of 102
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    I don't know, my library cultivated for 15 years and carried over and over, is 100% clean still. Content from all over...
  • Reply 53 of 102
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Sometimes you can't quantify things so precisely. It's just a feeling. Especially if you're a long time customer. I agree with his assessment. New releases seem a lot shakier to me than in years past. Just today I was working in one user account with another logged in and Yosemite decided that both accounts just needed to logout simultaneously for no apparent reason. Cloud services continue to be Apple's Achilles heel. I have meta-data issues in iTunes all the time. I'm an iTunes Match subscriber. Duplicate track listings. Albums split apart.

Most importantly, and of most concern to me, at this point all of the major talent from NeXT is gone. Are their replacements really on their level? Because all of the NeXT people were really smart.

Its just that your long term memory is not so good.    Mobile.me was a great success, right?  Apple Maps was a huge success at first, remember? I think you can find gripes and complaints about buggy releases and stuff from "old" software at Apple.  Just go look.

And the major talent from NeXT is not gone.  I saw Andreas (forget his last name) at WWDC and  talked with him.  I suspect there are others as well.   And bbum comes from the NeXT era but came to Apple after NeXT was bought.  He is d@mn smart guy.

• Reply 54 of 102
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

NEXT had to deal with god damn a few users max on one machine (Got that competency at that time, early 1990s, was not big fracking deal BTW) and Apple instantly became a music streaming provider bigger than anyone.  How on earth does that even compare?

You're really reaching there.

There massive amount of potential issues when you run this kind of operation world wide with that many users. If they got a few marginal bugs (say they affect 0.01% of users), it will still affect quite a few people because of the size of the operation.

Who on earth flips the switch on a service of this scale and complexity!

Who on earth are you comparing them too?

Online is a big echo chamber for a select few. Many millions who have no issues don't complain at all.

I'm really tired about the constant overblown whining.

• Reply 55 of 102
    robbyx wrote: »

I'm not saying that it's how you meant it, but I think your comment could be taken to mean that if Steve Jobs were still running Apple this stuff wouldn't have happened, at least not to this extent. I don't think that's a reasonable comment, even if we were to frame it as Apple having both Jobs and Cook in the company at once. As [@]chadbag[/@] states, there were some major issues under Jobs.

If Apple is going to be expanding into health, auto, enterprise, etc., they probably need start to think about some serious reorganization. Maybe put these new initiatives into a new spun-off company with a separate chain of responsibilities.

I wonder what such a company might be named! :D

For health it could be called Heartbeats by Dre.

For a self-driving car iit could be called MobileMe.

For a self-driving trucking SW it could be called PA Semi-Trailer.

For a sexual toy division it could be called FingerWorks.

For the enterprise it could be called iWork Hard for the Money?
  • Reply 56 of 102
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

This must be a somewhat complex issue. I have a large library of purchased, ripped from CD and otherwise imported music, and it has survived the transition fully intact on all my devices so far. I wonder what combination of factors causes the problems.

• Reply 57 of 102
    danny602danny602 Posts: 24member
    Me and my family couldn't be happier with it, the more we use it, the more we love it. Bugs are common place upon launch, so I was expecting the all to common bitch session, enjoy your free three months then move on if you wish, too bad you can't take your negativity with you.
  • Reply 58 of 102
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

These were reported as bugs in the beta.  Either someone (or someones) aren't communicating issues up to the executive level, or someone at the executive level is refusing to hear it.  Regardless, that seems to be quite the common theme at Apple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why is it always ‘some users’ and not ‘all’ users? It’s either a bug or it’s not. iTunes is iTunes and Yosemite is Yosemite and your iTunes Library is your iTunes Library. What about those people experiencing trouble could be different from those not having issues? Hardware configuration should have nothing to do with it. Corruption is the only thing I can think of.

Typically because the test team only tests the happy path, leaving edge case bugs to be discovered by the users.

• Reply 59 of 102
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    chadbag wrote: »

I am not arguing or or against your other stuff, but please substantiate the above.   Please show actual physical data to support it.   Any sort of verifiable metric that shows what you claim.

He can’t and that’s the point. All he’s got is his perception. 
    Dude too many bad experiences. Nice tries at discrediting people who don't have access to empirical data. How about yourself? Where is your data to refute? Please explain.
  • Reply 60 of 102
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    After i updated to ios 8.4 and itunes 12.2.. And synced my ipad and iphone... all my playlists got messed up.. most got deleted and iPad and iPhone showed different playlist... Total mess.... re-syncing just jumbled things around and still left the mess .

After many trials and errors the followng workd for me:

1- Back up all devices in iTunes to the computer .. Not icloud ( for safety reasons)

2- Turn on "iCloud music liberary" in itunes 12.2 preferences/general .. ( default is off.. but on on ios.. This may be one sourse if the problem )
    Wait for iCloud library sync to complete.

3- Sync your devices, if things get messed .. Its ok .

4- Go to your device Settings on iphone or ipad... , settings/music and turn off iCloud music library .
    Dont panic.. Playlists and some some or all songs will disappear. ( on iPad all songs disappeared , on iPhone only playlists)

5- Turn "iCloud music library" back on . Wait for library to load .

At this point all playlists and songs should reappear and nothing should be missing

6 - Try resyncing to make sure all is smooth and clear.

also.. If u have problem with streaming songs added to playlists not showing try the following:

For streaming songs to show up in playlists once they are added ... Go to playlist tab on your device. Click on the "my/all/apple playlist PINK link" to show the drop down menu
    From the menu turn off "music available offline( only show music on device)" option.. Turn it off.. No green .

All of the above worked on my ipad and iphone.. Both of which got screwed up after ios 8.4 , itunes 12.2 followed by sync through itunes.