Apple's iOS 8.4 kneecaps Home Sharing, music streaming now limited to Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

I'd have to bust out some seriously old equipment to play a CD in my house. Another 5 yrs and CD players will go the way of the VHS player or the 3.5" disk.

What are you talking about?  Don't you have a DVD/Blu-Ray player in your house?  Home theater?  I thought all you teenagers loved your PS4s and Xboxes which can all play CDs.  You may not want to believe it, but a CD will always sound better than a lossy digital file.  Even Blu-Ray discs have superior picture and sound quality.  I even have some high-resolution audio Blu-Ray discs that sound fantastic.

• Reply 22 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

"Kneecaps"? "Nerfed"?

Any chance of cutting back on the violence to the language?

Is this violent language?  It was merely incomprehensible to me.  I thought them just more examples of words used in an inappropriate context.  So, if this is some colloquialism, it is being lost on a part of the audience. Try standard English next time, AI.

• Reply 23 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

This is seriously sucky.

I had iTunes match until my library exceeded 25K "songs". At that point you're toast. You can't buy more capacity, you can't select what "songs" in your library you want in " Match". It's all-or-nothing. After a year - when my library crossed the iRubicon - I was done.

If they're now killing your own [local] playlists and ignoring the music you have in your library - then why on earth would I even consider it?

Good thing Eddy said they are increasing it to 100K :-)

• Reply 24 of 76
    Crappy that Apple is taking a formerly free software feature away and only offering a paid monthly service as a replacement.

If it works for anyone, I'll mention that you can still use the Remote app to control a stream to an Apple TV or Airport Express. I was pissed that home sharing went away since I used that to stream to an AE on my back porch. Remote actually works better than home sharing in the music app. My library is available right away vs having to wait several minutes for it to load via home sharing. The only drawback is that you can't actually listen in iOS.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    roakeroake Posts: 811member

I doubt they are removing the ability to side-load music that you've purchased elsewhere into your play list.  It was a big deal (much to the chagrin of the recording industry) when they removed those initial limitations.  I'm not sure what it would say if Apple suddenly did an about-face d/t this new deal (remember when we said we were right and the recording industry was wrong?  Well, we had all that backwards.).

• Reply 26 of 76
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    I know this is off topic, but I'm feeling incredibly stupid right now and can't find any info elsewhere.

Where did the iBooks display/appearance settings go? Nevermind, there are none for PDFs. I suppose that makes sense.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    scottyoscottyo Posts: 45member

They also appear to have kicked Radio to the curb (kerb). I can still access the stations I carefully selected in "the good ol' days" of June, but only in Radio > "Recently played". I don't know how recent the playing has to be to prevent their being shoved out of there into oblivion, nor how many recents they'll keep for me. Radio's what I used to play sitting in the car waiting for the wife to get tired of shopping.

There are still the older "radio stations" with the transmission tower icon, roughly 3000 of them, but the more-recently-introduced Radio stations (Beatles Radio, "Singer/Songwriter", "Classic Rock", etc) seem to have gone the way of… well, radio, though there is a new-age version in there, with workout sessions and whatnot.

I'm learning not to spend time fine-tuning Apple apps and services to my taste. They hate my taste.

• Reply 28 of 76
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    Guys - quit going all doomsday on this. Home sharing still works fine from macs and AppleTV. They only removed it from iOS devices.

Surely many of you aren't using iPhones as media servers for your house...
  • Reply 29 of 76
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    hillstones wrote: »
    What are you talking about?  Don't you have a DVD/Blu-Ray player in your house?  Home theater?  I thought all you teenagers loved your PS4s and Xboxes which can all play CDs.  You may not want to believe it, but a CD will always sound better than a lossy digital file.  Even Blu-Ray discs have superior picture and sound quality.  I even have some high-resolution audio Blu-Ray discs that sound fantastic.

Teenager? I'm 37. None of my laptops or devices I'd use to listen to music can play CDs. Sure. I've got an Xbox. But it's not anywhere near where I listen to music. Have a blueray player but haven't had it hooked up in years. I guess my cars have CD players, but I haven't used them yet.

Physical medium is dead.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

Teenager? I'm 37. None of my laptops or devices I'd use to listen to music can play CDs. Sure. I've got an Xbox. But it's not anywhere near where I listen to music. Have a blueray player but haven't had it hooked up in years. I guess my cars have CD players, but I haven't used them yet.

Physical medium is dead.

Physical's dead for music for sure, especially with lossless, but I have yet to see the "1080p" stream that comes close to Blu-Ray.

• Reply 31 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyo2222 View Post

I have previously tried Home Sharing to both an iPad and several iPhones. It worked but barely with my 24K track iTunes library. By the time (5-10 minutes) iOS Music gathered the list of songs shared from my iMac I usually didn't care to listen anymore.

So how many times did you try it before you gave up? I am not dissing you (completely!) but it is strange that you have a 24K track library but lose interest in listening if you need to wait for 5-10 minutes. 

• Reply 32 of 76
    akechakech Posts: 2member
    iOS Remote App still has home sharing so you can play other libraries' music on it.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    arlor wrote: »
    Physical's dead for music for sure, especially with lossless, but I have yet to see the "1080p" stream that comes close to Blu-Ray.

Reminds of the joke:

Q:
    "Blue Ray; what's that?"

A:
  • Reply 34 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    hillstones wrote: »
    There is an explanation for it...Apple wants to force people to pay for their lousy Apple Music streaming service to get people to rent their music, completely oblivious to the fact that many people have music in their iTunes library that will never be offered on Apple Music.  I have a lot of music from CDs in my library that are not even in the iTunes Store...so it would appear Apple is refusing me to listen to my own music through Home Sharing to an iOS device.  How nice of them.  Thankfully I did not use Home Share in that fashion too often.  If they kill AirPlay to an AppleTV or Apple Express for listening to music to your home stereo, then they will be acting like a bunch of pricks.  They already were total dicks when they removed the ability to share your iPhoto libraries over your own network to share and copy your personal photos from one Mac to another.  That was totally jacked up.

Pricks, dicks, wow.. That is for your intelligent and thoughtful analysis, consistent with the trash that you always post.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    mentholmenthol Posts: 3member
    Using the Remote app still enables home sharing
  • Reply 36 of 76
    mentholmenthol Posts: 3member

Remote app is working fine with my home sharing.

• Reply 37 of 76
    twipstwips Posts: 1member
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/apple-bring-back-music-home-sharing

This is a petition to Tim Cook to bring back the functionality.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

"Kneecaps"? "Nerfed"?

Any chance of cutting back on the violence to the language?

Nerfed - from the company NERF. To fire a safe foam projectile. It's a kids toy, it's hardly violent.

From Urban Dictionary.

The term "nerfing" comes from the online gaming world of Ultima Online

At one point in the game, the developers reduced the power of swords in melee combat. 

This resulted in players complaining that it was like they were hitting each other with nerf bats, not swords. 

From then on, if ever something gets made less worth while than it had been originally, it is considered 'nerfed'

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Is this violent language?  It was merely incomprehensible to me.  I thought them just more examples of words used in an inappropriate context.  So, if this is some colloquialism, it is being lost on a part of the audience. Try standard English next time, AI.

Gotta love Americans moaning about the incorrect use of English.

"Kneecapped" IS an English word, just not an American English word.

• Reply 39 of 76
    sleakajsleakaj Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Last I heard the Playstation 4 can't play music CD's.

• Reply 40 of 76
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    twips wrote: »
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/apple-bring-back-music-home-sharing

This is a petition to Tim Cook to bring back the functionality.

lol. Plus the comments there are hilarious. All 5 of 'em.

Thanks. And welcome to the forum.