Rumor: Apple Watch 2 will add bigger battery, look exactly the same [u]

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2015
Apple's second-generation Watch is unlikely to see any external changes, a Thursday morning report from South Korea suggests, with the company instead focusing on tightening up internal components in order to fit a larger battery. [Updated]

Apple is reportedly working with South Korean firms LG and Samsung to produce thinner OLED displays for its Watch revamp --?in contravention of previous indications --?which would allow the device to accommodate a more capacious battery. The rumor is circulating among suppliers in LG and Samsung's native South Korea and was first noted by GforGames.

The external design of the so-called "Apple Watch 2" is expected to remain largely unaltered. No other internal component changes have been rumored, though one unlikely report did suggest that Apple may choose to add a FaceTime camera for video calling purposes.

There is no word on when Apple may choose to release a hardware revision, as the Watch continues to roll out around the world. The wearable launched in Italy, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland and Taiwan on June 26, and will come to The Netherlands, Sweden, and Thailand on July 17.

While a timeline for release of second-generation Watch hardware is still unclear, Apple is moving ahead with plans for watchOS 2. Unveiled at last month's Worldwide Developers Conference, the Apple Watch's first major software update will include a number of new features including support for native apps and a new "nightstand" mode.

Update: The rumor also suggested that the new Watch will improve outdoor visibility, dealing with a complaint about the first-generation device, particularly for sapphire models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    More power efficient processors is what will enable better battery life in future Apple Watch models.
  • Reply 2 of 109
    cy_starkmancy_starkman Posts: 653member
    now that is revolutionary

not thinner, more battery. it is good to also think they might add things which don't take more space, such as better water resistance using the component level methods that have applied to patent.
  • Reply 3 of 109
    dclay13dclay13 Posts: 9member
    I wonder when the second one is going to come out. I could see them skipping a year. This type of device might have a different product life span.
  • Reply 4 of 109
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

not thinner, more battery.

It would be unusual if Apple creates more space inside with the aim of something other than making it thinner. Though in this instance... I wouldn't complain if it was a tad thinner.
  • Reply 5 of 109
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Can't wait until the 3rd generation ships, that'll be when they get my money,
  • Reply 6 of 109
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

not thinner, more battery. it is good to also think they might add things which don't take more space, such as better water resistance using the component level methods that have applied to patent.

I expect the 6S will get the same treatment since the logic board is smaller.
  • Reply 7 of 109
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Introducing ? watch 1S ;) 

• Reply 8 of 109
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Mine's been fine with battery.. Usually between 23-50% at end of day.. and I start at 5am and end usually around 10-11pm at night.. 30 min of exercise in there, a few voice calls, avg 6-10 emails/texts notifications per hour throughout the day, etc.

Have yet to run out by the time I call it at end of my day. So far, I love it.. I've permanently turned my 6 plus on mute now and filter it all notifications with my Apple Watch. Really liking it.
  • Reply 9 of 109
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

With the first revision they included a lot of features and now they will be gathering telemetry and seeing which ones people are actually using, and that will inform the next revision. I still think people aren't super sure what this form factor is good for (other than time telling and notifications), so having some real field usage data will be a big advantage over their competitors

• Reply 10 of 109
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dclay13 View Post

I wonder when the second one is going to come out. I could see them skipping a year. This type of device might have a different product life span.

Apple Watch 2 will be released in the spring of 2016. There are too many internal improvements already made to wait an extra year. Besides, didn't we all just decide that version 1 is good enough for now but what we all really want is version 2 as soon as possible? I know i'll be buying another one as soon as it's released.

• Reply 11 of 109
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Battery life not a big issue for me. Lack of native apps is. Thinner is better on watches more than any other device. Don't care how thin my iMac is, but do my watch.
  • Reply 12 of 109
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Mine's been fine with battery.. Usually between 23-50% at end of day.. and I start at 5am and end usually around 10-11pm at night.. 30 min of exercise in there, a few voice calls, avg 6-10 emails/texts notifications per hour throughout the day, etc.

Have yet to run out by the time I call it at end of my day. So far, I love it.. I've permanently turned my 6 plus on mute now and filter it all notifications with my Apple Watch. Really liking it.

Same here. I am not saying they shouldn't keep the form and increase the battery. That is obviously a good plan. But these people who find the battery too small, what are they doing? Playing games? I have had days where I used it for piles of messages and notifications, a call or too, a workout, a walk, worn it from 6 to 12, dropped it on the charger and said "32%? Really?"

I think the watch is going to need a different update schedule. It doesn't need a hardware change more than every 2-3 years i bet. Like the iPad, there just isn't isn't reason/economics to upgrade more than every 4-7 years.

• Reply 13 of 109
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

I'm hoping for GPS, I'd really like to be able to run with just the watch and not have to lug the phone in my pocket or a bulky armband holder.

• Reply 14 of 109
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I'm hoping for GPS, I'd really like to be able to run with just the watch and not have to lug the phone in my pocket or a bulky armband holder.

I am always confused by this. You do know that if you just run every so often with both phone and watch, that the watch updates its pacing from the phones gps and then the watch is accurate enough to not need gps, yes?

Or are you using GPS for something else?

• Reply 15 of 109
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member

"...in contravention of previous indication"

This phrase makes no sense to me.

• Reply 16 of 109
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Don't forget that we've not been living with native apps on our phones (other than the odd Apple one). THat's inevitably going to take a hit on the battery life. 

• Reply 17 of 109
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shen View Post

I am always confused by this. You do know that if you just run every so often with both phone and watch, that the watch updates its pacing from the phones gps and then the watch is accurate enough to not need gps, yes?

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  I'd like to use the Workout app and get my current pace and distance on the watch without taking the phone.  Are you saying that if I previously did that, the watch is somehow able to track pace and distance on its own for future runs?

• Reply 18 of 109
    dclay13dclay13 Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Apple Watch 2 will be released in the spring of 2016. There are too many internal improvements already made to wait an extra year. Besides, didn't we all just decide that version 1 is good enough for now but what we all really want is version 2 as soon as possible? I know i'll be buying another one as soon as it's released.

I completely agree that there are internal improvements waiting to be made. And I hope you are correct. However, this is a completely new product line for them. If they release one next year, I will be buying my first one. I have friends that have them and rave about them constantly. They haven't said anything about poor battery life. Does anyone have one on here that doesn't get the battery they need in a regular day?

• Reply 19 of 109
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I'd be very surprised if Watch 2 did not include GPS, that is the biggest gap and what makes GPS-based apps run so slow. Plus it would improve fitness apps, as you would not need to carry the iPhone on a bike, or to trace your running route. GPS is so important for so many apps and built-in GPS would greatly improve the experience. And it would need a bigger battery, the Watch as it is doesn't; I have yet to read complaints about battery life.

Having said that, I expect Watch 2 to come out quite soon (most of us would upgrade if it includes GPS); but then the renewal cycle to be quite slow - who wants to spend $ 1,000 for a nice looking watch only so it looks old in a  year? New versions (colours, materials) may come out for aficionados. Apple has positioned this as a luxury fashion device, these do not change - the Chanel bag today looks the same as it did 40 years ago (the Watch cycle will be a bit shorter than that....). This is just a guess, though. Ignore at your pleasure.

• Reply 20 of 109
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    shen wrote: »

GPS is good for mapping your run or workout. So you can see your entire workout on a map for many other uses.