Leaked Foxconn document backs 12MP camera, 2GB of RAM for 'iPhone 6s'

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
A document appearing to include a leaked Foxconn manufacturing schematic may back claims that Apple's next-generation "iPhone 6s" series will feature a 12-megapixel rear-facing camera, 4K video, and 2 gigabytes of RAM.

The document was initially posted on Chinese site Weibo by someone claiming to be a Foxconn worker, but that post has since been deleted, Phone Arena said on Thursday. Images from it are now circulating the Web, and reportedly cite an N66 model number for the iPhone 6s, and N71 for the 6s Plus.

Both the "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" are said to have 12-megapixel rear cameras, as well as support for 4K and/or 240 frames-per-second slow-motion video. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus already have 240 fps video, but are limited to 1080p resolution, since their sensors top out at 8 megapixels.

The document also points to 5-megapixel front-facing cameras, a major leap from the 1.2 megapixels on current iPhones. Some rival smartphones, such as the Samsung Galaxy S6, have already made the leap to 5 megapixels.

Although the source of the material is questionable, Foxconn workers have been known to leak accurate information in the past, and the document is consistent with recent rumors from more trusted sources.

It does not appear to make any reference to front camera features hinted at in an iOS 9 manifest file, such as a flash, panorama shots, and slow motion or 60 fps video. Software support does not guarantee features will appear in shipping hardware, however.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Make sense and in-line with available information for iphone 6s. Expected to include A9 processor, Qualcomm 2X LTE with additional bands modem chip,2M RAM, better casing material, upgraded cameras, force touch, upgraded touch ID sensor and some more.. Looks decent upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    No more 16GB phones please. Apple needs a big step up in storage. 64GB would be a good for a base model with 128 and 256GB for the higher end models.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

No more 16GB phones please. Apple needs a big step up in storage. 64GB would be a good for a base model with 128 and 256GB for the higher end models.

No, I think it should be 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB. It helps Apple maximize the profits. 

• Reply 4 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    No brainer. I'm more skeptical about the pink iPhone rumors. I could maybe see a rose gold version but pink? Not buying it.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    ljc94512ljc94512 Posts: 54member

I find it strange that because I am Chinese (Hong Kong) I am able to read all the words from that Chinese text.  There are some information not entirely conveyed in the post so I think I will re-translate it for you guys.

The iPhone 6s has an 16MP camera prototype originally, but then they revert it back to the 12MP version.  The design is the same as iPhone 6, and a rose coloured pink is confirmed.  However, I think the pinky backshell and white front covering glass looks awful.  Maybe it's time to change how I define beauty in Apple's products.

The internal code for iPhone 6s is N66 and N71; the rear facing camera has 4K video recording and 240FPS slow motion video.  There's a new camera mode, which says if you switched on the flash then you can take a picture followed by a video and they are both interlinked (i.e. normally when you view it, it will be a photo, but when you press and hold the display it will become a video)

There is Force Touch, but I find it not very useful.  The biggest impression that the 6s gives me is the accuracy and speed of the fingerprint sensor.  The phone will unlock anyway even at a very large angle.  I am currently on Samsung Galaxy S6, and I felt that the speed of the fingerprint sensor between the S6 and iPhone 6 are pretty much the same, albeit a minor lead from the iPhone 6.  However, when both phones are compared to 6s, it is rather pathetic.  The whole process of unlocking from sleep, putting the tip of your thumb on top of the home button, requires less than a second.  I would say it is faster than iPhone 6 by 30%.

A summary of what we know at the moment:  5MP front facing camera, 12MP rear facing camera, 2GB RAM, base model starts with 16GB, Force Touch, rose pink colour option (not rose gold), no external design change, protruding camera still exists.  More things to be tested.

So, no information on A9 (apart from 2GB RAM).  Also, shame that 16GB is still the base model.  Wish it could start at 32GB (although this doesn't affect me at all as I use 128GB anyway).  I hope this helps.

• Reply 6 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    Lol. If you look at the paper, 16G is printed right there. As I said before and now, no way Apple would drop 16G for 32G. That's a bad business move. Want more? Get 64 with extra $100. That's what Apple want you to do. If Apple make 32G, many 64G owners like me will drop back to it and Apple lose highe revenue. .
  • Reply 7 of 34
    netrox wrote: »
    No, I think it should be 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB. It helps Apple maximize the profits. 
    and that would be suicide because 90% people will get 32G.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

i don't need a 12mp camera fix the one they have with the technology shown in "rumored" patents

i use camera plus to reduce the file size of all my iOS devices to save space

i wish iOS allowed you to adjust the file size other than when you email

16gb for the "c" low end unit 

everything else should be min 32

i once got something like a 17mp "selfie" from a friend its massive size chocked my email

and they don't resize them and send me 3 at a time

more mp don't make a better image

my canon sureshot  at 3mp makes better than many many camera's and phones

i'm glad it won't change connector to that new usb c  thank goodness 

• Reply 9 of 34
    rogifan wrote: »
    No brainer. I'm more skeptical about the pink iPhone rumors. I could maybe see a rose gold version but pink? Not buying it.
    I believe there will be a Rose Gold. After that, Samsung will relase Rose Gold Galaxy S phone too, also many Other Android phones will too.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Why does the article say the current 8mp camera limits the video to 1080p? Isn't 1080p approx 2mp? Wouldn't 4k be approx 8mp?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    Why the negative comments about the 16GB iPhone? If you want to have 2000 pictures on your phone then buy enough storage. People that don't have a lot of pictures or music like the way the iPhone works but don't want to spend money on storage they don't use. My 64GB iPhone 6 has 37 GB available. I would not have bought the 16GB model and the 32GB would have been somewhat limiting for me. So, to each his own. Just don't ask Apple to give you more for free. If you can not afford more storage then change what you do, don't ask Apple to change for you.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

and that would be suicide because 90% people will get 32G.

My iPhone 5S is the 32GB version, and it filled up very quickly. I'd prefer a base of 64GB on the next iPhone's but that's not going to happen unfortunately.

• Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I believe there will be a Rose Gold. After that, Samsung will relase Rose Gold Galaxy S ohone too, also many Other Android phones will too.

Doesn't Samsung already offer a pink? I know they have blue.

• Reply 14 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

That sounds completely absurd, beyond your own personal needs. Almost everyone I know with an iPhone stores very little local content, beyond some photos. 64GB is overkill for MOST people, never mind 128 to 256. Nevermind it would massively increase Apple's costs, and the cost of the products. Good thing you're not in charge there. 

• Reply 15 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

Why does the article say the current 8mp camera limits the video to 1080p? Isn't 1080p approx 2mp? Wouldn't 4k be approx 8mp?

The iPhone 6 uses an 8MP sensor with a 4:3 aspect ratio. 4K video is 8.29MP and uses a 16:9 aspect ratio. So its not possible on the current iPhone range. The 4:3 aspect ratio 12MP sensor on the upcoming 6S/6S Plus allows for 4K video using the 16:9 aspect.

• Reply 16 of 34
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i don't need a 12mp camera fix the one they have with the technology shown in "rumored" patents

i use camera plus to reduce the file size of all my iOS devices to save space

i wish iOS allowed you to adjust the file size other than when you email

16gb for the "c" low end unit 

everything else should be min 32

i once got something like a 17mp "selfie" from a friend its massive size chocked my email

and they don't resize them and send me 3 at a time

more mp don't make a better image

my canon sureshot  at 3mp makes better than many many camera's and phones

i'm glad it won't change connector to that new usb c  thank goodness 

No way you are getting 17 MB files from an even 8 MP camera. Even my Canon 6D makes Jpg files that are a 1/3-1/5 the size of the selfie you quote.

• Reply 17 of 34
    Perhaps 4K video recording is coming?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    1983 wrote: »

The iPhone 6 uses an 8MP sensor with a 4:3 aspect ratio. 4K video is 8.29MP and uses a 16:9 aspect ratio. So its not possible on the current iPhone range. The 4:3 aspect ratio 12MP sensor on the upcoming 6S/6S Plus allows for 4K video using the 16:9 aspect.

It is within 15% of 4k for 16:9, which is pretty close. I would think up scaling the rest of the way to 4k would work/look pretty good. Now maybe the processor can't handle 3.4k at 30fps. Although I must say I don't have a 4k set, and I still find the regular 1080p quality awesomly sharp and smooth.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

No way you are getting 17 MB files from an even 8 MP camera. Even my Canon 6D makes Jpg files that are a 1/3-1/5 the size of the selfie you quote.

it was a nokia phone, huge files i think it has a 41 mp camera---still had lots of noise ,   mega yuck

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/features/more-than-megapixels-what-really-counts-in-a-smartphone-camera-495572 ;  

• Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

My iPhone 5S is the 32GB version, and it filled up very quickly. I'd prefer a base of 64GB on the next iPhone's but that's not going to happen unfortunately.

It's you, not everyone. I only moved to 64GB with iPhone 6+. I was completely fined with previous 16GB iPhone which I usually had ~100 apps, 3-4 pictures and 3-4GB left for music and other stuffs. Realistically, unless people carry entirely unnecessary picture/song library or store a lot of games, I don't even see the use beyond 16GB for most people. With iCloud Photo Library and iCloud drive, I see less and less dependence on local storage. My 64GB iPhone still have over 30 GB left with a lot of slow motion video and full frame burst-mode pictures. I would say I'm okay with 16GB as long as I need to manage my pictures/video a little.