Rumor: Apple Watch 2 will add bigger battery, look exactly the same [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Not sure I agree with those who say ?Watch should have a long upgrade cycle because those who just bought one will feel cheated when a new one comes out. New cars come out every year, and buyers of last year's model just get over it. And watches cost a lot less than a car. Also, many people have more than one watch. The idea of buying a second one is not heresy. Especially if Apple differentiates them more. We're talking hundreds, not thousands of dollars for most buyers. Collect them all!
  • Reply 22 of 109
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  I'd like to use the Workout app and get my current pace and distance on the watch without taking the phone.  Are you saying that if I previously did that, the watch is somehow able to track pace and distance on its own for future runs?

I am not really sure what you are saying either. I get pace and distance from my watch when i hike or walk, phone or no phone. You do know that it tracks motion and steps, yes?

• Reply 23 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

GPS is good for mapping your run or workout. So you can see your entire workout on a map for many other uses.

That I understand. I have never had a use for mapping a walk myself, but I can see why you would. If you use the same route often maybe they need a way for that route to be called up again. Would that solve some of the issues?

• Reply 24 of 109
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    dclay13 wrote: »

I completely agree that there are internal improvements waiting to be made. And I hope you are correct. However, this is a completely new product line for them. If they release one next year, I will be buying my first one. I have friends that have them and rave about them constantly. They haven't said anything about poor battery life. Does anyone have one on here that doesn't get the battery they need in a regular day?
    Right now battery life is great but that will change as soon as we all start relying on power-hungry native watch apps. And even that power consumption is nothing compared to 4G which is exactly where Apple is heading with the watch in a of 2-3 years.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member

Let me get this right, a sources inside samsung (and others) say that the next apple watch will feature a bigger battery?

Several huge problems with this story, first samsung desperately needs to flatten the explosive sales of the apple watch until they have time to make a crap copy (their  design has sold poorly) Floating a false story like "oooooh the new better apple watch is right around the corner so wait, don't buy this one, OK?" is standard procedure for them

Second; since when is the design center for Apple located in South Korea? Screen vendors like LG, samesung would not be privy to upcoming designs (PARTICULARLY SHAMESUNG) outside of the specific component specifications they are actually working on (this is how you maintain security and secrecy with a contracted product) no one outside a handful of designers and engineers at Apple knows the entire picture.

This is a desperate (and transparent) attempt by shamedsung to slow sales of the Apple watch, to buy them some time to copy it.

• Reply 26 of 109
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dclay13 View Post

I completely agree that there are internal improvements waiting to be made. And I hope you are correct. However, this is a completely new product line for them. If they release one next year, I will be buying my first one. I have friends that have them and rave about them constantly. They haven't said anything about poor battery life. Does anyone have one on here that doesn't get the battery they need in a regular day?

My battery will almost last two days, and it charges super quick, so no issues here.

• Reply 27 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Not sure I agree with those who say ?Watch should have a long upgrade cycle because those who just bought one will feel cheated when a new one comes out. New cars come out every year, and buyers of last year's model just get over it. And watches cost a lot less than a car. Also, many people have more than one watch. The idea of buying a second one is not heresy. Especially if Apple differentiates them more. We're talking hundreds, not thousands of dollars for most buyers. Collect them all!

If that is the reason, then I would agree. But I think the reason that some of us argue for a longer cycle on the watch is the same reason I am arguing for a longer cycle on the iPad. People buy iPads on a longer upgrade cycle, so since Apple has finite resources it makes sense for them to work on a cycle similar to peoples buying.

Not the same. Some people upgrade phones at one year, some wait three or even four. But most are in at every other. So a new phone every year makes sense. If people upgrade iPads at 4-6 years then a new iPad every two years makes sense. If the watch settles into a 3-5 cycle then a new watch every 18 months might work well.

I am not interested in someone being upset because a new watch is out. I am wondering what makes the most business sense for Apple as a company.

• Reply 28 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Can't wait until the 3rd generation ships, that'll be when they get my money,

they'll get mine too, as i will upgrade. You maybe saving money by not going with the first gen - but I'm really enjoying the experience. I dont get many calls or texts in the evening, i do get iCloud photo updates from a grandkids folder shared with my kids, end even their spouses in-laws. Just the watch on my wrist, phone is usually left on a charger in my study, and i can be anywhere in the house, or in the yard with an adult drink - and i can take the odd call on my watch, see grandkids get updated, see and reply to texts. 

eh 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Same here. I am not saying they shouldn't keep the form and increase the battery. That is obviously a good plan. But these people who find the battery too small, what are they doing? Playing games? I have had days where I used it for piles of messages and notifications, a call or too, a workout, a walk, worn it from 6 to 12, dropped it on the charger and said "32%? Really?"

I think the watch is going to need a different update schedule. It doesn't need a hardware change more than every 2-3 years i bet. Like the iPad, there just isn't isn't reason/economics to upgrade more than every 4-7 years.

i too am thoroughly enjoying the 'freedom' of the apple watch - 

my only (minor) peeve really is battery life - its fine by the way, except when i have to go away overnight. I have to take the charge cable - just for a one night trip. 

• Reply 29 of 109
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member

If this is true and there are no major design updates I will have to wait for the 3rd generation when ever that may be. I'll have to wait and see what they do with version 2 when it's out. I want one just don't want a first generation device, just my preference. 

• Reply 30 of 109
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Also, the Apple Watch should have a super high resale value, just like all Apple products. Not the end of the world if someone chooses to sell their current model and buy the new one. Everyone is looking to save a buck on an Apple product, and if there are no physical differences in the new one, than today's model can easily be sold second hand. 

• Reply 31 of 109
    justp1ayinjustp1ayin Posts: 213member
    I've never had a problem with battery life.

I definitely think they should switch the way it looks. I like how mine looks but the whole point of a personalized product is to have variety for different people. If they sell 20 million by 2017, thats 20 million people walking around with extremely similar watches on...
  • Reply 32 of 109
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    The current Apple Watch is extraordinarily comfortable so making it thinner wouldn't be my top priority. It's easily the most comfortable and lightweight watch I own. I forget that I'm wearing it except for the occasional pulsation. About the only thing I can see as being a top priority would be to offer a lower cost G-Shock style version for children, perhaps with polycarbonate and rubber and in several different colors.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    More power efficient processors is what will enable better battery life in future Apple Watch models.

I would think that this would be high priority and until that happens we will only see minor changes to the watch. The question then becomes do they go to 14 nm or hold off for a sub 14 nm process.

It is an interesting question because at some point they should be able to completely replace the iPhone as a communications device.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I've never had a problem with battery life.

I definitely think they should switch the way it looks. I like how mine looks but the whole point of a personalized product is to have variety for different people. If they sell 20 million by 2017, thats 20 million people walking around with extremely similar watches on...

At the end of the day, they're very limited when it comes to changing the look. The screen has to be a certain size, with a certain aspect ratio. It will always be black. Digital crown needs to be there, as do the wrist sensors. It will always look like a black square from most angles, no way to change that. Also, not sure if's worth making different physical designs, considering the engineering effort to optimize the component layout in each one, as well as testing and other factors, would be massive and pretty inefficient. For the near future, I only see them possibly adding more bands and maybe materials. I can't see them making different physical shapes, makes no sense. 

• Reply 35 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

At the end of the day, they're very limited when it comes to changing the look. 

I probably shouldn't comment because I still don't see myself wearing any watch, but I still find ?Watch unattractive, and yes I went to the store and tried it on.

I did order a Sport on day one just because it was new Apple tech, but I ended up canceling my order after reconsideration that I just don't like wearing watches. I certainly don't feel inconvenienced with just an iPhone 6 in my pocket. I don't want to be distracted while driving anyway and in just about any other situation the iPhone is quite accessible. Everyone has a different use case, but it is totally unnecessary for me, even if it was a little less bulky.

• Reply 36 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I have to laugh at this desire for GPS just to record a workout. For decades I had no problem taking off on a bike ride or a day long hike sans any sort of electronics. Or anything else for that matter. Sometimes fitness activities are improved by throwing off daily expectations and stress, that is the mental component of relaxation requires you to divest yourself of the things that put you under stress.
    sflagel wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if Watch 2 did not include GPS, that is the biggest gap and what makes GPS-based apps run so slow. Plus it would improve fitness apps, as you would not need to carry the iPhone on a bike, or to trace your running route. GPS is so important for so many apps and built-in GPS would greatly improve the experience. And it would need a bigger battery, the Watch as it is doesn't; I have yet to read complaints about battery life.
    Well some wouldn't be satisfied with a nuclear power source that lasted 100 years. Personally I continue to be amazed by what these devices can do. What really interests me is what is the service life span of these batteries. That is can we expect 5 years out of them.
    Having said that, I expect Watch 2 to come out quite soon (most of us would upgrade if it includes GPS); but then the renewal cycle to be quite slow - who wants to spend $ 1,000 for a nice looking watch only so it looks old in a  year?
    I've never understood this mentality when it comes to Apple users, you do not need to buy any Apple device every year a new one comes out!! Seriously why would you do that? As for Apple Watch I suspect update cycles will be driven by its success. Strong sales will demand more engineering time and a faster turn around when it comes to new devices.

As for what "could" go into an Apple Watch in the future, that is almost an endless list of possibilities.

New versions (colours, materials) may come out for aficionados. Apple has positioned this as a luxury fashion device, these do not change
    Watches for the most part have always been fashion devices. At one time they where important tools for many industries similar to the way iPhone has become an important tool. These days watches are for the most part jewelry. Apple Watch and other devices have the potential to change all of that so that once again the watch is as much a tool as it is a piece of jewelry.

It will be interesting to see if it ever becomes as important as today's cell phone. To get there I really see it needing to become that far more powerful device, something to effectively replace iPhone.
    - the Chanel bag today looks the same as it did 40 years ago (the Watch cycle will be a bit shorter than that....). This is just a guess, though. Ignore at your pleasure.
    Ignore? Na we don't want to do that, I just think more imagination needs to be used buy people about what might be possible technology wise in 5 years. In that time frame the electronics embedded in today's Watch might be one fourth the area, possibly another shrink beyond that. That is just physical area shrink, it doesn't include material and structure advances for the chips. I just see lots of potential for extremely advanced watches in the future.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

thank you for your useless comment.

Please exit to the right.

I mean seriously.  If you don't like the Watch, fine.  But why waste eveyone's time and cry your little violin on why you don't have a Watch.  WE DON'T CARE.

Wow, it looks like I struck a nerve. Such an extreme reaction to a rather benign comment.

• Reply 38 of 109
    My 38 mm Sport battery life has been fine except 1.) it began overheating when charging and wouldn't charge past 30%. Apple just replaced my entire watch (except strap/charger). And 2.) when I track/time a 2-4 hour cycling ride the watch battery takes a big hit. So much so that I don't use it for tracking if it is early in the day! No Garmin replaced yet...

JT
  • Reply 39 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow, it looks like I struck a nerve. Such an extreme reaction to a rather benign comment.

Truth be told, your response was pretty irrelevant to the thread and my comment that you responded to. I was discussing possibility of a physical redesign, and you went on a rant about how you think it's a useless product to begin with. 

• Reply 40 of 109
    chuckdchuckd Posts: 34member
    If there's a product whose profile should be slimmed down it's one that users wear throughout the day. The watch needs to get thinner, lighter, and there needs to be an option for a round form factor.

The need to recharge nightly can be addressed through an elegant charging solution. Who sleeps with their watch on anyway?

If true, keeping the same form factor just to fit a larger capacity battery and silly camera makes it seem as though they have the wrong priorities.