UBS calls Apple 'the Shake Shack of technology,' advises investors to buy in

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

WTF man.

No innovation by Apple?  What do  you call iPod, iPhone, iPad, Watch, MacBook Air, App Store, iTunes?  WTF man

If engineering chops and design improvements are innovation, Apple's way up in the stratosphere.

If innovation is more regarded as the invention of new devices and device classes, not nearly so high, but it doesn't matter because they're so good at the above they redefine if not invent markets.

Where they do deserve invention credit is in the hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands of the iterative aspects of tech (some abetted by acquisition, but no matter) that allow them to keep pushing design envelopes on many fronts, but those aren't as easily to highlight and give adulation to. 

So to answer your question literally:

1. A better mp3 player that took over the market, but didn't invent it.

2. A better smart phone the changed the entire direction of computing and communication but wasn't the first smart phone.

3. A fresh take on a tablet that quickly became the reference design, but not the first "slate."

4. Another design for a smart watch which may or may not live up to its hype and stay on the list of gadgets-we-can't-live-without-that-are-exemplified-by-Apple.

5. A very nice notebook computer (that I have and like)

6. Another place to buy software online, albeit a good one for sure.

7. A program for organizing, playing and buying music - which again like the above extended and improved functionality but not an invention as such.

• Reply 22 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

The only thing that matters is "first!", of course.

• Reply 23 of 27
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Shake Shack doesn't hold a candle to In'N'Out burger.

(I am being objective about this since I am from neither NY or CA. 8-))
  • Reply 24 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Shake Shack doesn't hold a candle to In'N'Out burger.

(I am being objective about this since I am from neither NY or CA. 8-))
    Although I live in NJ, I never had a shake shack burger but I have had the in-n-out deliciousness a few times
  • Reply 25 of 27
    mrrodriguezmrrodriguez Posts: 215member
    If you think Apple has been innovating then you're disillusional

Actually I take that back. Apple has completely innovated the entire world of marketing. This includes how the unveil products and their tight control on media access.

If you think about it, Apple has actually let other companies innovate (not really, more try a bunch of different things until something works) and they've been playing it safe.

Look at the iPhone 6+. Apple stood by and waited for other companies to test out larger phones and got a feel of what the market demand was, and then swooped in with their device.

Same thing with the watch. Other companies started selling smart watchesand apple noticed the demand in the market do they released their version.

Their only real innovations have been in use functionality and that was with the iPhones ability for touch input and the ipods ingenious wheel. Not saying these are minor innovations because it transformed the smartphone industry, but I think there's other companies that are innovating the actual radio technology that drives every smartphone yet these companies are not being recognized at all. We're amazed by thin borders and great "craftsmanship"
  • Reply 26 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    If you think Apple has been innovating then you're disillusional

Actually I take that back. Apple has completely innovated the entire world of marketing. This includes how the unveil products and their tight control on media access.

If you think about it, Apple has actually let other companies innovate (not really, more try a bunch of different things until something works) and they've been playing it safe.

Look at the iPhone 6+. Apple stood by and waited for other companies to test out larger phones and got a feel of what the market demand was, and then swooped in with their device.

Same thing with the watch. Other companies started selling smart watchesand apple noticed the demand in the market do they released their version.

Their only real innovations have been in use functionality and that was with the iPhones ability for touch input and the ipods ingenious wheel. Not saying these are minor innovations because it transformed the smartphone industry, but I think there's other companies that are innovating the actual radio technology that drives every smartphone yet these companies are not being recognized at all. We're amazed by thin borders and great "craftsmanship"

Who said no one else is innovating?

Labeling Apple's success As pure marketing is the epitome of troll statements. We aren't blind lemmings.

Is it really innovative if it fails? Why are you downplaying Apple's innovation? You think it's easy to throw tech together seamlessly? If others have failed and Apple succeeds, shouldnt it get credit instead of being trolled as marketing.

Apple just lets others fail and then offer its own version that's successful. Only when Apple releases something, the design suddenly becomes obvious and new products start to imitate Apple.

So yea, you're basically a troll.