I can't find the standard itunes player on an ipad!

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2015

I have just been trying to help a friend with a new ipad, and I'm having a basic problem. The itunes icon only goes to the store. When I use the music icon, I get a player, but it doesn't look anything like the itunes player I use on my computer. There's no menu, no left sidebar, nothing familiar. All it has is controls for playing a piece of music. All the Apple support info starts from having the player open. After over an hour of searching Apple support and the Web, I still can't get to the standard itunes player.

Without the player, I can't help my friend with home sharing and all the other features I use all the time.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the itunes player?

Thanks for any help you can give this newbie!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by DharmaDuck View Post

There's no menu, no left sidebar, nothing familiar.

There's no Menu Bar on any application on an iPad. Is this your first iPad? Hang on; I'll get some screenshots up at the bottom.

All it has is controls for playing a piece of music. All the Apple support info starts from having the player open. After over an hour of searching Apple support and the Web, I still can't get to the standard itunes player.

That's because it doesn't exist at all. Touch the Music app. That's where the music is. Your videos are in Videos.

Without the player, I can't help my friend with home sharing and all the other features I use all the time.

If you're trying to troubleshoot an iTunes problem, you can help him by looking at iTunes troubleshooting documents online. The iPad's Music app won't help you in this regard in any capacity. 

Is this what you're after?

The sidebar's replaced by the bottom bar there, which contains your playlists, et. al. Genius is up by the time bar, as are the 

• Reply 2 of 8

OK, I finally get it! The ipad is just a giant iphone--you have to manage stuff from itunes on a computer. Never having worked with an ipad, I thought it was supposed to have the application that I use to manage my iphone. Thanks for your explanation.  Now I can get my buddy started on his ipad in style!! :-)

I appreciate your help!

• Reply 3 of 8
    I also appreciate your help with that. How do I make new playlists on the ipad?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

In the Music app do the following:

1. Select Playlists.

2. In the upper right corner click the "New" button.

3. Provide a name for the new playlist.

4. Add songs by clicking their respective  "+" button to the right of their title. This bit can be daunting if you have a large library as the only navigation aid seems to be the alphabet on the right edge of the screen.

5. Click "Done".

Hope this helps.

• Reply 5 of 8
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    dharmaduck wrote: »
    OK, I finally get it! The ipad is just a giant iphone--you have to manage stuff from itunes on a computer. Never having worked with an ipad, I thought it was supposed to have the application that I use to manage my iphone. Thanks for your explanation.  Now I can get my buddy started on his ipad in style!! :-)

I appreciate your help!

Yes, iPad is more like iPhone than like Mac. Once you understand that it's generally smooth sailing. Also now because with iCloud and many other things you actually no longer need to sync to anything, in almost all cases.

Eg. iTunes Match, not tried it but looks promising.

For myself I just listen mainly to podcasts so I use iCatcher.

I also listen a lot to streaming radio so the Di.FM app is perfect.

Welcome to iPad Land!
  • Reply 6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

In the Music app do the following how to transfer music from iPad to PC with iTunes:

1. Select Playlists.

2. In the upper right corner click the "New" button.

3. Provide a name for the new playlist.

4. Add songs by clicking their respective  "+" button to the right of their title. This bit can be daunting if you have a large library as the only navigation aid seems to be the alphabet on the right edge of the screen.

5. Click "Done".

Hope this helps.

Sure it does. You can start by checking the iPad user guide. Apple includes a Safari bookmark for the user guide with Safari on the iPad.

This is selected under the Photos tab for your iPad sync preferences with iTunes.

• Reply 7 of 8
    adamdradamdr Posts: 2member

Guys that doesnt answer the question for me on my laptop i cannot turn on homesharing even though i have activated bonjour (it still says I havent on itunes and i have authorised my laptop as one of the five computers. I cant find anyway to connect my ipad to the other two computers or my apple tv?? please helP!

• Reply 8 of 8
    adamdradamdr Posts: 2member