Dr. Dre to debut radio show 'The Pharmacy' as Apple Music exclusive on July 4th

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    inotrope wrote: »
    Erm no.
    Digital rectal examination predates the concept of rap by centuries.
    Not everything on a tech forum is high tech.

Digital = finger.

It's common medical nomenclature.

Point taken on the use of digital, but under what circumstances do you think that Dre knew about the DRE acronym and then choose it knowing what it meant? And if you really don't think it's a coincidence then why include "Dr." as well as not spell it DRE?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    inotropeinotrope Posts: 14member
    I suspect "Dr" DRE knows as little about medicine as I do about rap or whatever.

I am making an amusing observation. For instance car manufacturers have to ensure their vehicle name isn't an obsenity in some language (hence why many are made up words). International rap superstars are just brands too.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Why do I get the feeling we're going to see more and more announcements about radio shows from various artists/producers and others in the music industry? Every day it seems like there's something new. I think Apple wants to keep Apple Music/Beats 1 in the news during the first 90 days to really get people to tune in.

I like Apple Music and the custom playlists it's always showing me in For You. I've already heard some new stuff I hadn't before that is relevant to my musical tastes based on artists I've selected and my existing music. I'm interested in seeing how far Apple expands radio with new shows.

I want Craig Federighi show. Make it happen Zane.

Btw, Beat 1 is inzane.
    It's radio. Nobody cares about Clear Channel or Viacom. Considering you need an Apple product (be it iTunes or hardware) to use it, this is hardly going to 'increase awareness of Apple'.

No, you don't need Apple product to be aware of Beat 1. You only need Twitter, or Tumblr.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Diverse is a good word for it. The only song I've come across I liked was Pharrell's Freedom.

I have not signed up yet, I was in a wait and see since most stream and radio content has to date been pushing what they wanted to be popular. However, I've heard the comments of it is not the same thing we've all heard before, it is more diverse. This is interesting because it will give artists who generally do not get must air play more and they will in fact make more especially since Apple is allowing Indies and they get the 70% and do not need to share it.

This is good all the way around.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member

This is part of the marketing plan -- you can hear it in the way the DJs talk about future shows. They're constantly checking with each other about which shows they're allowed to talk about yet. And in the app and on the Tumblr, the list of shows only slowly grows.

It's smart, rather than one big mega article with a massive list of shows, they're trickling them out a bit at a time, giving more people a chance to come across mention of one. 

• Reply 26 of 33
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member

Beats1 adds an enormous amount of goodwill for Apple among younger demographics. Overnight, they went from a music service provider to the company that funds one of the best new-music radio stations in the world. Sounds like an exaggeration, but Beats 1 is closer to beloved local indie stations like KCRW and WFMU than anything else. 

• Reply 27 of 33
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Do people think this radio station is going to last? I thought the youth of today got their music recommendations from friends and social media not DJs.

• Reply 28 of 33
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    ascii wrote: »
    Do people think this radio station is going to last? I thought the youth of today got their music recommendations from friends and social media not DJs.
    That is what @Connect is all about. Lol.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Good question. I hope it'll last. I'm having fun with it.

• Reply 30 of 33

I was impressed with the format for The Pharmacy. I tuned in thinking that I would just sample it to see what it was like and ended up listening to all two hours. It was fun, took some risks, and did a good job at mixing the music, promotional stuff, and introducing the people involved with the show in an informal way. I'm now convinced that this type of content is an essential part of breathing new life into digital music services. More engaging than an algorithm...

• Reply 31 of 33
    motoservomotoservo Posts: 19member
    There's a better radio show already named "The Pharmacy".
    http://thedrugstore.blogspot.com
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by motoservo View Post

There's a better radio show already named "The Pharmacy".

http://thedrugstore.blogspot.com

Two different things. Dr. Dre's show is a free-flowing DJ mix, whereas your link is essentially a curated playlist of full songs.

• Reply 33 of 33
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Awesome tweet by Craig Federighi parody (@_HairForceOne)*

(*) I am not sure if this is the real Craig, but it is hilarious anyway.