Rapper recorded album by posting up at NYC Apple Store every day for 4 months

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

You got the better deal anyway.  The Atari 800 was a much better (technically) computer than the Apple II/II+/IIE for most things.  Faster version of the same CPU and much better graphics chips.  I learned on an Apple II+ at the local elementary school (I was in HS but helped teach the kids computers and had free access to the computer labs until the janitors went home at night).   But my parents were not about to buy an Apple II.  We finally got an Atari 400 (I had a friend with one and another friend with an Atari 800) that we upgraded the RAM on and put a real keyboard, aftermarket, on.  Used 410 cassette player to store programs.   We also had a DEC PDT11/150 at home as my dad worked for DEC and they sold these to employees for "cheap".  I used that to cross compile 6502 into HEX so I could insert it into BASIC DATA statements and call it (or as interrupts service routines to swap graphics color data per scan line etc).   Then my dad found out from others what a repair call would cost on the PDT11/150 and he immediately sold it, and bought an Atari 800 and eventually a 1050 disk drive.  I got a real assembler (Atari Macro Assembler plus also the older Atari Assembler Cartridge) and did more work on that without needing to cross compile 6502.   My dad still has like 3 or 4 Atari 800 computers and a mix of 1050 and 810 disk drives, bought at a local thrift store for a few bucks each some 15 years ago.  At least I think he still has them...

Ah, the memories.

Technically speaking, I agree, the Atari was the more advanced machine. It had better graphics and it also had better sound. If I recall correctly, the Atari was capable of four channel sound. I did prefer the sound chip on the C-64 though, as that one just sounded better to my ears at least, and there was a recent iPad app that came out that recreates the Sid Chip, which is the sound chip used on the C-64.

• Reply 42 of 60
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Technically speaking, I agree, the Atari was the more advanced machine. It had better graphics and it also had better sound. If I recall correctly, the Atari was capable of four channel sound. I did prefer the sound chip on the C-64 though, as that one just sounded better to my ears at least, and there was a recent iPad app that came out that recreates the Sid Chip, which is the sound chip used on the C-64.

The Sid chip in the C64 was a higher level chip, where you gave it timbre, duration,and all sorts of things and it reproduced the sound.  But the various channels were not synched so you could launch multiple channels of sounds that would get out of sync.  The Atari sound was a lower level type chip, which also gave you more control if you had the knowledge.   The graphics on the C64 sucked in comparison.  My HS was a "Commodore Education" launch school for the C64 and we had them coming out the ying yang and Commodore execs came out for a big launch party etc.   The Atari user's group club at the school was smug in the knowledge their computer was a better computer.  :-)

The interesting thing is that Jack Tramiel, who ran Commodore, bought out Atari and brought us the ST, while the guys/gals who designed the Atari 400/800 advanced graphics chips left Atari and went to Commodore and brought us the Amiga.  They switched places, and the higher level tech switched as well.  I was out of HS by then and I eventually had an ST, mostly as a MIDI workstation base, but the Amiga had better tech inside.

• Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:

The Sid chip in the C64 was a higher level chip, where you gave it timbre, duration,and all sorts of things and it reproduced the sound.  But the various channels were not synched so you could launch multiple channels of sounds that would get out of sync.  The Atari sound was a lower level type chip, which also gave you more control if you had the knowledge.   The graphics on the C64 sucked in comparison.  My HS was a "Commodore Education" launch school for the C64 and we had them coming out the ying yang and Commodore execs came out for a big launch party etc.   The Atari user's group club at the school was smug in the knowledge their computer was a better computer.  :-)

The interesting thing is that Jack Tramiel, who ran Commodore, bought out Atari and brought us the ST, while the guys/gals who designed the Atari 400/800 advanced graphics chips left Atari and went to Commodore and brought us the Amiga.  They switched places, and the higher level tech switched as well.  I was out of HS by then and I eventually had an ST, mostly as a MIDI workstation base, but the Amiga had better tech inside.

I saw an interesting youtube video a while back, it's an hour and a half long, and it's all about the C-64 and they also mention Atari too and other machines at the time, and Jack Tramiel is there too and speaks.

• Reply 44 of 60
    apple ][ wrote: »

That's an absolutely horrible and truly revolting idea. Apple is a for profit business, making the best devices possible for discerning customers. Apple is not a charity, nor should they cater to those without money.

You're absolutely right. The impoverished peasants among us are supposed to be the ones BUILDING Apple devices, not USING them.

You insufferable douchecanoe.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Doggone it, this guy sure is some kind of a genius! Maybe not musical, but ...
  • Reply 46 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

You're absolutely right. The impoverished peasants among us are supposed to be the ones BUILDING Apple devices, not USING them.

Douchecanoe, I like that, gotta remember to use that one next time :)

• Reply 47 of 60
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

I find this funny, because Apple's making the stores "more exclusive" and "more upscale" aka "get the peasants out" but you're probably okay with that.

• Reply 48 of 60
    Quote:

Impoverished peasants have no business being in an Apple store. That's why Android phones exist, for the purpose of accomodating those types.    Let them go and visit those types of stores instead.

• Reply 49 of 60
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    Quote:

That's an absolutely horrible and truly revolting idea. Apple is a for profit business, making the best devices possible for discerning customers. Apple is not a charity, nor should they cater to those without money.

Yes you are right.

What Apple should be doing is giving products to people willing to pay for it. Like the baseball team that got free iPads, computers, iPhones and Apple Watches.

• Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

Yes you are right.

What Apple should be doing is giving products to people willing to pay for it. Like the baseball team that got free iPads, computers, iPhones and Apple Watches.

If you go back a bit and read the posts from around the time where Apple seemed to be giving away Apple Watches to all sorts of celebrities, then you will quickly find out that I was against it.

• Reply 51 of 60
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Like someone said if a potential customer is that good at the software it's definitely a teaching opportunity to get them to do in-store tutorials. Just shows how easy things are on the Mac and with Apple.

It doesn't take a genius to produce music today, because most of the software comes with pre-played loops and if somebody is capable of copying and pasting, then they too can make a song. Basically, anybody can do it.

It is a source of sadness for me that Apple is the one company most responsible for the idiocratization of music.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Talk about being cheap. This rapper sounds like a PC user.

The dude lives with 20 roommates and has to sneak around in Apple stores? 20 roommates? WTF?

While in the process of an eviction from a Bushwick, Brooklyn loft that he shared with 20 roommates and was eventually demolished to make way for luxury apartments, Prince made the Apple Store a second home, befriending a pair of employees who would bend corporate rules to help him record the album. 

Those two Apple employees should be fired.

Apple can't have any rude people jumping up on tables in their stores! This rapper should be banned from all Apple stores. It's never been cheaper to make and create professional sounding music than it is today in 2015.
    I'm glad you aren't running the stores
  • Reply 53 of 60

- double post, sorry -

• Reply 54 of 60
    Quote:

Talk about being cheap. This rapper sounds like a PC user.

The dude lives with 20 roommates and has to sneak around in Apple stores? 20 roommates? WTF?

While in the process of an eviction from a Bushwick, Brooklyn loft that he shared with 20 roommates and was eventually demolished to make way for luxury apartments, Prince made the Apple Store a second home, befriending a pair of employees who would bend corporate rules to help him record the album. 

Those two Apple employees should be fired.

Apple can't have any rude people jumping up on tables in their stores! This rapper should be banned from all Apple stores. It's never been cheaper to make and create professional sounding music than it is today in 2015.

There is some guy who uses an apple store to get something done and you say he is being cheap and "probably a PC user" - you know how stupid that sounds. According to you he is a PC user, yet he chose an Apple Store. Even if he was, why is that relevant. You degrade him because he cant afford a Mac - yeah thats real classy. If he makes some money from his record, he will most definitely buy a Mac, so it profits Apple in the end. A lot of people have PCs before their first Mac. Do you also call all of them "cheap"?

Someone using a Mac for something real, rather than just clicking on Safari and checking their Mail or the Internet for free, like every other chump in an Apple Store is a far better Advertising for their product, than Apple could ever hope for. Seeing someone recording music and making music would impress potential buyers much more than just seeing some guy look at some sample photos in the Photos app.

"Banned from all Apple Stores"? You want to live in a world where people get banned for using a demo unit too much? If there is too many people wanting to demo a unit, then its Apple's responsibility to provide more demo units or more retail outlets. Your idea of policing Apple Stores is ridiculous. So how would they do that? Do you have to register for using a demo unit? Do they use face recognition to identify you and shut down demo units? Do they get security to throw someone out? It would have a more negative effect on other buyers than him using a mac the whole time.

Too bad, comments by blocked users still show up in the normal view of an article, because you are one of them.

• Reply 55 of 60
    izensteinizenstein Posts: 26member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/187080/rapper-recorded-album-by-posting-up-at-nyc-apple-store-every-day-for-4-months#post_2744742"]
    And I learned on an Apple ][, it was the first computer that I was ever exposed to. I do it recall it being in a classroom though, and not in a store. About 35 students had to share that Apple ][ at the time.

Ok so we have something in common. That's the thing. Apple is so focused on the phones and watches that I think we forget that the made computers for us to create on. Maybe just maybe Apple or at this store they didn't care about one guy using the computer productively while everyone else was looking at phones, tablets and watches.

My mom laid out $3100 for my IIe
  • Reply 56 of 60
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Apple just wants their 30%

• Reply 57 of 60
    aldannoaldanno Posts: 13member
    Back in the day.........My home Mac wasn't capable of downloading the video (no firewire port) from my camera but the new Jelly Bean iMacs at the local Circuit City were up to the task. I spent a few hours uploading video clips and then putting together a 5 minute video with iMovie and no one said a thing (it wasn't days and days). I had quite a few clueless sales staff and customers hanging around fascinated at what was possible. It was fun - I probably helped sell a few iMacs through the process and I have a great video of my 2 year old playing Baby Bear and the Lost Princess.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    In posting my idea of a kind of Apple Library. It's not to say just let people come and use the Apple Store as their office. This guy used the system to create which takes initiative. If Apple chose and they have enough on their plate they could institute practical learning spaces maybe even separate from stores to learn how to use the computers creatively beyond web browsing and playing games. It is in their interest to continue the creatives to use their computers. Artist and programmers were originally the backbone of Apple. That's where the original Mac fans came from.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    izenstein wrote: »
    In posting my idea of a kind of Apple Library. It's not to say just let people come and use the Apple Store as their office. This guy used the system to create which takes initiative. If Apple chose and they have enough on their plate they could institute practical learning spaces maybe even separate from stores to learn how to use the computers creatively beyond web browsing and playing games. It is in their interest to continue the creatives to use their computers. Artist and programmers were originally the backbone of Apple. That's where the original Mac fans came from.

My first exposure to Apple was in high school, learning Apple Basic and Apple Pascal, but the first Mac (which I tested at a local mall as part of a traveling demo that Apple had touring the country) was the first computer I really connected with. Maybe this guy should look into his local library or pay a few bucks to take a community college course in music production.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:

Eventually, I got myself an Atari 800, so that I could mess around at home. My parents weren't about to buy me an Apple ][ or an Apple ][e, so I was very happy with the Atari.

That sounds similar to my story.  I used an Apple ][+ at school, but due to budgetary concerns, my parents bought me a TRS-80 CoCo (and a cassette recorder to save my programs to!).  $300 for the CoCo was far better than the $1000+ that an Apple was going to cost.

That CoCo was superior to the ][+ in quite a large number of ways.  The 800kHz 6809 was faster and easier to program (in assembly language) than Apple's 1MHz 6502.  Superior sound (6-bit analog, vs. a 1-bit "clicker" bit).  Equivalent hi-res graphics (256x192 monorchrome vs. Apple's 280x192).  Apple had a better text mode (40x24 vs. Tandy's 32x16) and low-res graphics (40x48 16-color vs. Tandy's 64x32 8-color).  Equivalent floppy drives (140K single-sided).  Apple's biggest advantage was 48K RAM (vs. 16K max in the CoCo of that day, although later models supported 64K) and support for a monitor (Tandy only supported TV output without hacking the motherboard.)

I like to think that if Tandy had treated the CoCo properly - continuing to evolve its capabilities and market it as something other than a toy, it would've given Apple a serious run for its money.  But they did no such thing.

Yes, the Atari 800 and C64 were both superior to the CoCo in many ways (although they both shared the same 6502 processor, which was not as powerful and not as easy to program as the 6809.)  But both were at the time more expensive than the CoCo.  We could afford an Atari 400 or VIC-20, but neither of those had as much bang-for-buck as the CoCo.

Quote:

The Atari 800 was a much better (technically) computer than the Apple II/II+/IIE for most things.  Faster version of the same CPU and much better graphics chips. ...

Yep.  The //c and //e added more memory, 80-column text and double-hi-res graphics modes, but it wasn't until the IIGS that the Apple II series really jumped ahead of the A800 and C64 platforms.

Quote:

I didn't know that.  Thanks for the info.

I loved the Atari ST, in concept.  The GEM desktop and built-in MIDI were a pleasure to use.  But that platform never really jumped ahead into the realm of superior graphics.  The Amiga, on the other hand, started out with some really nice graphics and sound, and continued evolving for many generations.  In its day, it was able to hold its own against both PCs and Macs in the gaming and media-production markets.

Unfortunately, it wound up a victim of Commodore's bankruptcy, which is truly a sad end to such great technology.  Had the financial/business situation gone differently (with some good marketing and continuing product evolution), the Amiga platform could have booted Apple from its market (remember that at the time, Apple was resting on its laurels, shipping lots of mostly-irrelevant variations on the Mac-II and Mac-Classic architecture.)