Showtime's new cord-cutter channel launches on Apple TV with 30-day free trial

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Cable cutters can now access premium network Showtime, home to "Homeland" and "Dexter," via their Apple TV, which launched on Tuesday with a free 30-day trial period.

After the trial ends, Showtime will run subscribers $10.99 per month. The new Showtime streaming channel is available automatically on all second- and third-generation "hockey puck" Apple TV units.

Showtime's streaming-only launch also arrives ahead of the premiere of the third season of "Ray Donovan," starring Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight, which will air this Sunday at 9 p.m. Eastern. It will be followed by the third season premiere of "Masters of Sex," starring Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan, at 10 p.m.

Showtime's new streaming service operates largely the same as HBO Now, which debuted exclusively on the Apple TV in April before making its way to other platforms. But Showtime also undercuts HBO Now's $14.99-per-month price point.

The CBS-owned Showtime first announced last month that it would offer standalone, cable-free subscriptions. It was originally expected to launch July 12, making Tuesday's debut a few days early.

Like HBO, Showtime is known for a combination of original programming and an extensive movie library. Among the channel's most well-known efforts are the thriller "Homeland," crime dramas "Dexter" and "Weeds," and other shows like "Californication" and "United States of Tara."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    This decoupling is just going to lead to people paying more in the end.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Dumb question: Can I stream to my iPhone or am I limited to the AppleTV?
  • Reply 3 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Does anyone have an update on what the total of all these 'unbundled' services on @TVwould be, so far?
  • Reply 4 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    About $10/month is doable for a channel. Hopefully HBO's experiment is going well and at some point they'll be able to lower their fee.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    No thanks. I'll stick to Netflix and Hulu. Dexter is already on Netflix as far as I'm concerned. Thanks though.
  • Reply 6 of 50

I signed up for HBO Now, and am really enjoying it. I like Bill Maher (although he can be a bit snarky at times). I watched the first season of True Detective.

But the show I'm really enjoying is Silicon Valley...it took a few episodes to like it, but it can be pretty funny. Especially, how everything at Hooli (read Google) just doesn't work, whether it's a hologram type skype or the driverless car.

Best.

• Reply 7 of 50
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

SlingTV with ESPN and ESPN2 at $20/mo is enough. Came with a free FireTV stick thingy that is functional. Sure would be nice to have ESPN on AppleTV so it's all on one device.

• Reply 8 of 50
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

About $10/month is doable for a channel. Hopefully HBO's experiment is going well and at some point they'll be able to lower their fee.

Not all channels.

Of course, ESPN would probably command like $20/mo.

Edit:

Oops. Someone already mentioned ESPN.

I was right though.

• Reply 9 of 50
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Not worth it.

Showtime sucks. Not much to watch at all

Are you kidding? Homeland is excellent, while Ray Donovan, and Penny Dreadful are pretty good.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Does anyone have an update on what the total of all these 'unbundled' services on @TVwould be, so far?
    Me too. I have always said that chord cutting will not save money for the average user, but I am also interested in some sort f comparison. I am thinking it might even cost more in the end. At the moment I get a lot of stuff from Netflix and anything I have a need to watch 'immediately' I'll buy from iTunes (or rent in the case of movies).

It looks to me as if the Showtime deal (et al) are just like mini cable deals - you pay a subscription for a bundle and only end up watching one or two shows. From an end user perspective it is not great. Same cost overall (I suspect), same programming, but several accounts / bills.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yep.

• Reply 12 of 50
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    How about Amazon Prime Streaming?! SyFy Channel?! FOX News?! FOX Sports 1?!
  • Reply 13 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Not worth it.

I'd agree. I dropped HBO after the free period as I found that pretty lacking other than you know what. I find between Netflix and Amazon Prime (which is free to me really as I pay that fee for shipping really) I have all I need. I can always swap HDMI inputs on the very rare occasion I need Cable (we get Comcast HD in with HOA fees) such as watching the amazing US Women's Football Team win the FIFA World Cup again! :smokey:
  • Reply 14 of 50
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

How about Amazon Prime Streaming?! SyFy Channel?! FOX News?! FOX Sports 1?!

Who are you asking? I would bet Amazon would want to be on ATV, but probably (never say never) won't happen with Apple. As far as the others, it's up to the provider to offer a stand-alone subscription.

• Reply 15 of 50
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Not worth it.

that's just, like, your opinion, man. I've never seen Homeland. and I love their new show The Knick. I dont have cable and wouldn't mind a few months of this when the next season returns.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I recently renegotiated my cable subscription last week, and the cable companies are obviously desperate to keep customers. 

I saw a good deal that was only available to brand new customers, and I basically told them in a polite way that you can either give me that deal, or you will lose a longtime customer. I ended up getting the deal. That's the second time that I've renegotiated my plan in the past two years. It's become an annual thing now.:smokey:

• Reply 17 of 50
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

you're assuming all people want all channels. poor assumption.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Besides licensing and content deals and the rest of it...the technical hurdle to this model taking off is content discovery. AppleTV needs to be completely overhauled to allow the deep-seeded content within Apps to rise to the surface.

Example: I may or may not see the value in ShowTime. I probably think $10 a month is way too much when I already have Netflix and HBO. But what if ShowTime has more content than I realize? I'll never know unless I give it a chance, and thats not going to happen...

However, if Apple had its most needed feature which is GLOBAL SEARCH, it could present search results to me from ALL Apps on the AppleTV, even ones I'm not yet subscribed to. If I consistently find a certain channel returning search results for the shows/movies that I'm looking for, I am going to think that I need to subscribe to that. And if Apple were smart, they would make it quick and easy to subscribe to channel right search results.

• Reply 19 of 50
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Not all channels.

Of course, ESPN would probably command like $20/mo.

Edit:

Oops. Someone already mentioned ESPN.

I was right though.

Oh, there's a few other channels included: TNT, AMC, some other fodder. It's actually the old cram model to justify the $20/price for ESPN though. And it is limited to one device at a time, requiring LI/PW every time you switch devices. Still, a start.

I get a very basic HDTV package of like a dozen channels (no ESPN) from Comcast for what is essentially free. They say it cost $20/mo on the bill, but if I dropped it and kept my (very perky, very stable) cable modem, the cost for the latter would go up by about the same amount. 

• Reply 20 of 50
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Its about paying for what you actually intend to consume, instead of being forced to pay for things that you will never consume.

A person like me is more than happy to pay $8 for Netflix and $10 for HBO (I know its $15 right now), have my needs met.

If you're a person who feels the need to subscribe to every single service that becomes available...well you're not a cord cutter at all, are you? You are better served by paying $60/month for 500 channels of bullshit.