How to get Beats Music's 'The Sentence' back on Apple Music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
While Apple has killed the user interface for The Sentence --?Beats Music's flagship on-demand playlist creation feature --?it hasn't removed the functionality from Apple Music entirely. AppleInsider shows you where it's hiding.

The Sentence becomes Activities Playlists in Apple Music. Boo.

We know that the plural of anecdote is not data, but our experience suggests that The Sentence was probably a significant user retention driver for Beats Music. Using a simulated natural-language interface, one could tell Beats what they were doing --?and with whom --?and The Sentence would cough up a seemingly made-to-order playlist.

Whether you were "at the gym," "on the subway," or even "in a field" with your "entourage" or "the paparazzi," you could let Beats know that you felt like "making bad choices" or "romancing" to nearly any genre and expect a fairly well-conceived set to come out of the other side. We were often "out and about" and felt like "jetsetting" with ourselves to hip-hop; this resulted in some great music despite the occasional 2 Chainz overdose.

With the release of Apple Music and the consequential sunsetting of its forebear, The Sentence is no more, but its spirit lives on as "Activities."

Open Apple Music on any supported device, then tap the New tab. Scroll down (entirely too far) until you see Activities Playlists, then tap through --?this is where The Sentence's soul now dwells.

Apple's options range from the mundane to the fantastic. They've crafted playlists for moments from Breaking Up to Waking Up, including sentimental favorites like Getting It On.

Unfortunately, The Sentence's superficial "smarts" are gone, replaced instead by a presumably curated grouping of presumably curated playlists. You can no longer make bad choices with your boo in the club, but you can throw on some Baby Makin' Music when you get home.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9

"The sentence" was the worst feature of Beats IMO. It was a poor attempt at Songza's "It's Friday morning" on "Summer break" "lounging by the pool". It had way too many unrelated variables and even when you tried to get super specific with it and do something like "I'm in a field" "BBQing" with "Aliens" listening to "alternative" you'd be treated to something crappy like Florence and the machine. Never worked and it always killed the party.

• Reply 2 of 9
    Wow. That friends thing sound very cool
    " play the songs Steve and I like "
    A job for Siri of course. They have to see the cool factor in this, assuming they get it to work right. I bet they are at least toying with it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "...replaced instead by a [B]presumably[/B] curated grouping of [B]presumably[/B] curated playlists."

Um...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    rseloverrselover Posts: 10member
    I "Sentence" You to Boring, Repeating, Popularity-focused playlists.

SiriusXM brah.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ericwvggericwvgg Posts: 16member
    "The sentence" was the best feature of Beats IMO. Always lead to serendipitous awesomeness.

Delighted to hear that it continues to exist, if unfortunately in a simplified form.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"...replaced instead by a presumably curated grouping of presumably curated playlists."

Um...

What's wrong with that? I don't remember Apple mentioning how it chooses songs for playlists you're supposed to be having sex to...

• Reply 7 of 9
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

You can no longer make bad choices with your boo in the club, but you can throw on some Baby Makin' Music when you get home.

Ah, the good old days of class are definitely long gone.

• Reply 8 of 9
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Is it me or do they have too many pointless and repetitive activities? What's the difference between Chilling Out and Kicking Back?

• Reply 9 of 9
    napmannapman Posts: 25member
    I'm not usually "that guy" but I have to say, that headline is very misleading. You state that you will tell us how to get the "Sentence" feature back in Apple Music but then go on to tell us that we can't because it's gone, but we can see some playlists.