Apple Pay comes to 23 more US banks, sees early signs of UK support

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Apple on Tuesday added 23 more companies to the list of U.S. banks supporting Apple Pay, simultaneously gearing up for the launch of the mobile payment service in the United Kingdom.

As has become standard, the majority of the new U.S. institutions are credit unions. An important addition is RBFCU, one of the largest credit unions in the U.S., with over 450,000 customers in central Texas including Austin and San Antonio.

The full list can be seen below:
  • American Chartered Bank
  • Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union
  • Bellco Credit Union
  • EFCU Financial
  • First Federal
  • First National Bank
  • Healthcare Systems Federal Credit Union
  • Keesler Federal Credit Union
  • Kemba Credit Union
  • Members 1st Federal Credit Union
  • NorthStar Credit Union
  • Parsons Federal Credit Union
  • Pinnacle Bank
  • Randolph-Brooks Federal Credit Union
  • Service Credit Union
  • SRP Federal Credit Union
  • SUMA (Yonkers) FCU
  • Tampa Bay Federal Credit Union
  • Tennessee Valley Federal Credit Union
  • Tri County Area Federal Credit Union
  • Trona Valley Federal Credit Union
  • United Teletech Financial
  • Winthrop Area FCU
In the U.K., a number of Santander customers have reportedly been able to register their cards for Apple Pay, according to MacRumors. Despite confirmation emails sent by the bank, support appears to have been activated prematurely, since people must temporarily set their device region to the U.S., then add a card and switch back. One person said that they were told Santander isn't ready and that people who registered early would be de-registered.

Other regional banks, such as MBNA and Nationwide, are generating error messages in iOS such as "Contact Card Issuer" and "Your Issuer Does Not Yet Offer Support."

Apple in June promised that Apple Pay would launch in the U.K. sometime this month, but without an exact date. One major bank, Barclays, could nevertheless be late to join, since it remains in negotiations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    astrofishastrofish Posts: 31member

Some press reports indicate July 14 is the launch date in UK - leaked documents shown to support that, for example 9to5Mac.

• Reply 2 of 29
    baz1536baz1536 Posts: 29member
    Have just tried my cards by changing to US region
    My TSB card says card issuer not currently supporting Apple pay. Which is true it's meant to be coming in autumn for TSB. I tried my First Direct which still be available from go live and it says the card issuer can not register this card at this time.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Great to see the penetration rolling along apace.

Meanwhile, actually out in the field, a local McDonald's failed to provide me the service effectively twice in a row...

This is almost as awful as admitting I was at a McDonald's twice, recently.

• Reply 4 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    remember when so many people were complaining it wasnt worldwide and why couldn't they have it in the UK?

yyyyeah. that was less than a year ago.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    baz1536baz1536 Posts: 29member
    Have just tried my cards by changing to US region
    My TSB card says card issuer not currently supporting Apple pay. Which is true it's meant to be coming in autumn for TSB. I tried my First Direct which still be available from go live and it says the card issuer can not register this card at this time.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    boredumb wrote: »
    Great to see the penetration rolling along apace.
    Meanwhile, actually out in the field, a local McDonald's failed to provide me the service effectively twice in a row...
    This is almost as awful as admitting I was at a McDonald's twice, recently.

How did it fail? I've used it often with McDs (and others) with great success.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Still no TD Bank Target card support.

• Reply 8 of 29
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    I know there's thousands of us who are small businesses who have PayPal debit cards and like me haven't had a bank checking account for nearly 9 years now. I really wish PayPal would see that were using their card and they're grabbing their percentage of each transaction and not wait for Apple to start issuing "debit" cards and accepting payments, before they (PayPal) finally allows for ?Pay because all of us will leave you PayPal. Just sayin'
  • Reply 9 of 29
    First National Bank... of where?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Yesterday my UK bank emailed me about ApplePay and this morning The Telegraph had an article all you need to know about ApplePay. Still no official date but if it's still July then must be less than 3 weeks now. Passbook does not yet accept bank cards in the UK. Not sure how this will change; will there be a software update?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

Yesterday my UK bank emailed me about ApplePay and this morning The Telegraph had an article all you need to know about ApplePay. Still no official date but if it's still July then must be less than 3 weeks now. Passbook does not yet accept bank cards in the UK. Not sure how this will change; will there be a software update?

Once your bank is supported it will allow you to add it to Passbook and you will be ready to go. If before then it will not allow you to do so. 

• Reply 12 of 29
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member

Come on Apple, no love for Canada yet?

• Reply 13 of 29
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

C'mon Canada banking system and administrators, no love for ?Pay yet?

(fixed it for you)

• Reply 14 of 29
    kesemkesem Posts: 28member
    I use my American issued Apple Pay cards everyday in London. They work great. Overnight the UK will be Apple Pay friendly. Most businesses, especially restaurants already have portable contactless card readers that take my current credit cards.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

There will not be a software update - Passbook pings this URL to determine which countries Apple pay is live in. https://smp-device-content.apple.com/static/region/v2/config.json

• Reply 16 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

It's absolutely absurd, and I blame Canadian banks, as Canada is an obvious Apple Pay target for Apple, and I don't imagine they haven't put effort into it.  I see no reason why the UK should get Apple pay support before Canada. 

• Reply 17 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    slurpy wrote: »
    It's absolutely absurd, and I blame Canadian banks, as Canada is an obvious Apple Pay target for Apple, and I don't imagine they haven't put effort into it.  I see no reason why the UK should get Apple pay support before Canada. 

I live on the opposite end of the Mississippi and thus nowhere near Canada, but I've heard part of the reason things get delayed there is due to doubled localization requirements for the French-speaking territory which requires bilingual everything. is that true at all?
  • Reply 18 of 29
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    kesem wrote: »
    I use my American issued Apple Pay cards everyday in London. They work great.

Kesem, when you're in London are you able to use Apple Pay to make payments above the UK £20 contactless limit?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    kesemkesem Posts: 28member
    I am limited to 20 pounds.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    I hate to tell the banks this but they are going to find that people have more loyalty to their iPhones and Apple Watches than to them.

If they continue to hold out they will lose customers.