Questionable report claims Apple Watch sales plummet from 200K units per day to less than 20K in US

Comments

• Reply 21 of 120
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Whether the numbers are right or not, I actually thinks it's very likely that early adopters were more in numbers than the continuos stream of buyers.
    For two reasons. 1) I think this might be related to the purchase patterns of fashionistas. 2) Even though the watch is amazing, I still think it does just a few things better than on a phone or on a computer, for most people...
  • Reply 22 of 120
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Macrumors headline:

Apple Watch Demand Slides Significantly in June as Launch Momentum Wanes

What gutter-trash level tabloid site, with no sense of shame, accuracy, or journalistic integrity.

The macrumors target demographic of Apple-hating trolls are also no doubt giddy and gloating as ****, as the article already has 600+ comments, some kind of record, which clearly is the only goal anyway. 

• Reply 23 of 120
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Macrumors headline:

<h2 style="color:rgb(255,255,255);margin-bottom:0px;margin-top:0px;padding:7px 17px 9px;"><span style="margin:0px;padding:0px;"><a href="http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/07/apple-watch-demand-slides-june-slice/" style="color:rgb(254,254,254);margin:0px;padding:0px;" target="_blank">Apple Watch Dema</a>
    </span>
    <a href="http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/07/apple-watch-demand-slides-june-slice/" style="color:rgb(254,254,254);font-size:24.6239986419678px;line-height:1em;margin:0px;padding:0px;" target="_blank">nd Slides Significantly in June as Launch Momentum Wanes</a>
    </h2>

What gutter-trash level tabloid site, with no sense of shame, accuracy, or journalistic integrity.

The macrumors target demographic of Apple-hating trolls are also no doubt giddy and gloating as ****, as the article already has 600+ comments, some kind of record, which clearly is the only goal anyway. 

I really don't see the issue with a demand slide. It's to be expected. That's how launches usually work; lots of initial demand followed by a slowdown. This is why the MacBook is now in stock again. The numbers may be questionable but I would be surprised if sales numbers continued upward. When almost every person with one starts their introduction with "it's not essential, but...", is it a surprise most people don't find it all that essential?
  • Reply 24 of 120
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    agramonte wrote: »
    So most people wont buy a square, chunky made in Taiwan "gadget watch" that cost 400 dollars... not surprised. And bet returns are also high.
    Hell the fashion editor at the NY Times already returned hers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/fashion/why-im-breaking-up-with-the-apple-watch.html?_r=0

"But here’s the thing: The watch isn’t actually a fashion accessory for the tech-happy. It’s a tech accessory pretending to be a fashion accessory. I just couldn’t fall for it"

OUCH!

One fashion editor returned hers, and that leads you to 'bet returns are high'? Do you even have the vaguest realization that it is a truly idiotic thing to say/extrapolate?

Gosh, I actually miss those days on AI when the regular trolls actually had a semblance of intelligence....:lol:
  • Reply 25 of 120
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    dewme wrote: »
    If you're hoping the Apple Watch can replace your smartphone you'll be disappointed.

considering it's marketed as an accessory to an iPhone, why would we hope it does those things today and be disappointed it doesn't? that isn't how it's positioned.
  • Reply 26 of 120
    Wow, I have a fan! (Actually, it's kind of creepy, but what the heck, it's par for the course I suppose...)

Clearly, you're unable read or process much, so for the sake of anyone who might be (remotely) interested, let me repost in whole what wrote there. I said: "You didn't understand my post. I could care less about this firm. I am simply saying that if one million is Apple's 'shipments,' it'll likely be Apple's 'sales.' That said, I am guessing one million is a very likely number for Day 1."

I was neither expressing disgust at this company nor was I not. I was merely saying that I could care less. I have no clue who they were then, or are now. They were likely doing it for clicks then, as now. Moreover, it was a discussion about 'shipments' versus 'sales' (which I don't expect you to get!). As for my view of "million" then, sorry to disappoint you, but it was simply based on a number of analyst reports that had come out by that point, which estimated Apple's initial sales from the many hundreds of thousands to the many millions (you're welcome to search for those stories, if you wish). It had nothing to do with some silly firm that I'd never heard of or knew existed.

You just confirmed my assessment of "by the moron, for the moron."

Add: Oh, I am biased towards Apple? You bet. Thanks for noticing!

Why bother with the long-winded response if you're just going to agree with me in the end? I called your bias. You admitted your bias. Discussion over.
  • Reply 27 of 120
    agramonte wrote: »
    So most people wont buy a square, chunky made in Taiwan "gadget watch" that cost 400 dollars... not surprised. And bet returns are also high.
    Hell the fashion editor at the NY Times already returned hers.

what nonsense.

349 is 349 (or 350 if you like), not 400.

it's not square.

it's not chunky.

it's slimmer and trimmer than all of the watches my friends wear.

the NYT has been running Apple hit pieces for years.

NEXT!
  • Reply 28 of 120
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Just like the only numbers that matter are on election day, the only numbers that matter are the ones Apple reports.
    Seems like almost everyone who notices the Apple Watch on my wrist is quick to inquire about it, and seems genuinely interested in learning more about it. I tell them to go to their nearest Apple Store, and try one on. It will sell itself.
  • Reply 29 of 120
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Is 20,000 smartwatches per day in the US a normal figure for smartwatches?

How does that compare to other smartwatches and/or wearables in general?

20,000 units per day for a non-essential and kinda expensive item still seems rather impressive.

And this is just in the US, right? So there are actually [I]more[/I] units being sold that are not represented in this report?
  • Reply 30 of 120
    Why bother with the long-winded response if you're just going to agree with me in the end? I called your bias. You admitted your bias. Discussion over.

because you misconstrued his arguments and got it right for completely the wrong reasons? maybe?
  • Reply 31 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

5k watch purchases a day compared to about 500k+ for iPhone. Someone needed data to back 1% apple user base interest in watch.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/186273/html-parsing-quirk-allows-hidden-email-content-viewable-only-on-apple-watch#post_2723682

Shouldn't pat yourself on the back so fast.

According to Slice there's been about 2 million Apple Watches sold in the US. Using your 1% claim, that would mean there are 200 million iPhone users in the US. Given the population, it seems utterly absurd that 2 out of 3 Americans from babies to seniors owns an iPhone.

Further, there are still people buying the Apple Watch which just keeps moving the real number farther and farther away from your absolutely and completely WRONG 1% claim.

Oh, and to show just how stupid your claim is, there is no way 500K iPhones are being sold in the US per day. The best quarter in Apple history was the 74.5 million this holiday season. That's worldwide. That represents about 810K per day. Last quarter was 61 million or about 660K per day. There is NO WAY that the US by itself is responsible for 500K iPhones per day. All you need to do is look at how much cash Apple has overseas from sales outside the US to realize this.

Bottom line: Your 1% claim is pure bullshit.

• Reply 32 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

what nonsense.

349 is 349 (or 350 if you like), not 400.

it's not square.

it's not chunky.

it's slimmer and trimmer than all of the watches my friends wear.

the NYT has been running Apple hit pieces for years.

NEXT!

This is how you can tell the people who look at pictures vs seeing in person. The Apple Watch does look clunky in pictures, but looks fantastic in person. And if you haven't seen it in person (even just for curiosity) then you have no business commenting on its design.

• Reply 33 of 120
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Oh, the 'long-winded' part was for the typical reader of AI, who, in my view, is rather intelligent and is generally likely to want to understand things in context.

That throwaway last line -- which I went back and added later -- was to make make you go away from having further discussions, and looks like that may have worked!
  • Reply 34 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

Also, I believe that what happens with SAmsung and the rest of the Android gang, where they don't report how many units they sell and then the tech sites and research firms just run all their numbers on fake estimates, is going to happen with the Apple watch, but backwards, in this case they'll just make up horrible numbers.

No one has reported any sales figures for the Microsoft Band or the Kindle Paperwhite and I doubt anyone cares.  No one is certainly calling those products failures that I know of.  Apple is such an easy target for haters.  The only worthwhile damage control is Apple's quarterly results when the truth is revealed.  Of course, all the potential Apple investors will be long gone by then.  Someone set a relatively high figure for AppleWatch sales and Apple won't make those numbers, so AppleWatch will be deemed a failure, a flop or Tim Cook's Folly.  I simply consider it a cross to bear as an Apple shareholder and hope that Apple has something up its sleeve that will turn the world on end.

• Reply 35 of 120
    justp1ayinjustp1ayin Posts: 213member
    I'm not an analyst, but 7 million watches in the U.S. alone a year doesn't sound horrible...
  • Reply 36 of 120
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

One fashion editor returned hers, and that leads you to 'bet returns are high'? Do you even have the vaguest realization that it is a truly idiotic thing to say/extrapolate?

Gosh, I actually miss those days on AI when the regular trolls actually had a semblance of intelligence....image

How many countless articles have been posted out there discussing how some author/techhead/etc.. ending their "relationship" with the iPhone and going Android?  I bet those guys said the exact same doom-and-gloom scenario as well, only to quietly scurry to the back of the room and hope no one would call them out on their ridiculous statement.

One person didn't like it, so therefore everyone must not like it.  Idiotic to say the least.

I read the article, and I just got the impression that she is just not into the technology stuff and only uses it when absolutely necessary.  Could be wrong, but that's just the impression I got.

• Reply 37 of 120
    A trivia question, sort of unrelated to this dumb story and graph, but related to AppleWatch: is there any other current Apple product (all accessories excluded) that does not feature an Apple logo?

The logo is there it's just not prominently displayed

• Reply 38 of 120
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    let's see...

10,000 units a day 3.6MILLION watches a year
    20K a day: nearly 7.5Million watches a day

After a pent up pre-buy period.
    In the middle of predominantly slow sales months
    Assuming no ramp in the Holiday Quarter.

I think Apple would be happy with 5 Million watches a year at probably $400 avg profit (2Billion in profit) for a 1.0 release.

For comparision... FitBit purportedly sold around 5.6 Million last year (which some would say was upwards to 70% of the wrist wearables market), at probably $30 profit per 'bit'.

I think Apple jumping from 'none' to effectively 'tied for first' in shipments, is a pretty good launch year.
  • Reply 39 of 120
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    because you misconstrued his arguments and got it right for completely the wrong reasons? maybe?

I absolutely did not.
    Oh, the 'long-winded' part was for the typical reader of AI, who, in my view, is rather intelligent and is generally likely to want to understand things in context.

That throwaway last line -- which I went back and added later -- was to make make you go away from having further discussions, and looks like that may have worked!

I appreciate your attempt at context, and I appreciate your admission of bias. I don't appreciate your continued veiled insults.
  • Reply 40 of 120
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member