US law enforcement officials to argue for encryption backdoors before Congress

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    paxman wrote: »
    Unless they do what we do - come from above. Shock and Awe terrorism.

What does that even mean?
  • Reply 22 of 71
    How many would stop using these services and technologies if they knew the Government had a backdoor they could open at will without warrant?

I don't know about you, but having a Government back door doesn't make me feel any safer.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    One more year! One more year!

And you think it's going to get better? The surveillance state is here to stay.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    james hays wrote: »
    How many would stop using these services and technologies if they knew the Government had a backdoor they could open at will without warrant?

I don't know about you, but having a Government back door doesn't make me feel any safer.

On the contrary. Not that I would be walking around worrying about it personally, but these are larger philosophical issues that transcend party politics, and I suspect even religion, as witnessed by the views of these forum members. It is akin to the government having a master key for everybody's house. Clearly agents wouldn't be running around rifling through everybody's personal stuff in every house all the time, but the idea that our own government should have free access to our private information is preposterous. It entirely changes the definition of government as our elected representatives.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    What does that even mean?

I think he's referring to our policy of indiscriminate bombing and use of drones to ensure continued conflict and an endless supply of angry terrorists to keep our war machine profitable. Something like that anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    You are concerned about them protecting us as a target. The real point is to not do things that make us a target to begin with. The once of prevention is wholly misplaced.

They need the good sheeple to be afraid, to not understand that it is OUR actions, year after year, decade after decade, that not only created this "terrorist" problem but makes it worse every day. But it's profitable. Very profitable. So don't expect the narrative to change, much less for anyone in government to act sensibly.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

why do you believe that will change anything? before the current president, the previous president held the record for constitutional violations.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    The NSA even admitted they haven't stopped a single terrorist attack with all this snooping.

You want to secure the country, secure the borders. Terrorists are sneaking over and getting ready.

which terrorists have snuck over? how do you know if they snuck?
  • Reply 29 of 71

We need to have another revolution and overthrow this Government. It is our right and obligation as a Nation and a Free People.

• Reply 30 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't look forward to it at all. All these crap candidates clogging up the media with their scumbag campaign BS for more than a year. There is not one candidate that I would vote for. This will be the worst election ever.

• Reply 31 of 71
    We need to have another revolution and overthrow this Government. It is our right and obligation as a Nation and a Free People.

I thought you were in the UK?
  • Reply 32 of 71
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

These people are enemies of the Constitution and the American people and should be fired immediately.

It is much worse than you think: They are stupid and resistant to learning!

• Reply 33 of 71
    Quote:

I thought you were in the UK?

Nope. Actually I'm from Washington.

• Reply 34 of 71
    smalm wrote: »

It is much worse than you think: They are stupid!

I believe all people are self-interested, therefore those who work in government are as self-serving as those who are not in government. The difference is that corruption and inefficiency is punished by competitive pressures in the market among companies, whereas in government that rot just grows and grows.
  • Reply 35 of 71

Why is that statement contrary to mine?

• Reply 36 of 71
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    So then there will be a gimped "People's Republic of the United States, (In NSA We Trust)" version with a backdoor and another, fully secure version for the rest of the world.

Phenomenally dumb idea.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

Law Enforcement has stopped so many terrorist attacks by monitoring the communications of potential terrorists. But because this all happened behind the scenes so to speak you don't believe it. If there was a successful attack, you would blame them for failing to do their job even though it is people like you that make it more difficult than it should be.

Law enforcement officials are failing US citizens on their own. By being dishonest about their true intentions, failure is happening on an increasingly frequent basis.

Approximately 4-6 weeks ago, the records of millions of government employees and military personnel were stolen from US government servers. Congress asked questions, but one question and answer really stood out to me and went to the heart of how the US government will protect the privacy of its citizens.

The question went something like... Was the stolen data encrypted or unencrypted? The answer went something like... I cannot answer that question unless it is answered behind closed doors and off the record.

• Reply 38 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    which terrorists have snuck over? how do you know if they snuck?
    He has a sneaking suspicion.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So does the 4th amendment not exist when it comes to the NSA?

"unreasonable searches and seizures"

That "unreasonable" is open to argument, so the 4th, much like all of them, was not written as an absolute.

• Reply 40 of 71
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

And the next guy should be fantastic, right? No seriously, who are you excited about seeing as President next year? I'm curious, since it's not like there's a viable candidate that will oppose this stuff, more than Obama anyway.