Apple's iPhone 6 maintains almost 50% share of US smartphone market, Canaccord research finds

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
During the June quarter the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus kept the iPhone the top-selling smartphone brand at all four major U.S. carriers, with a sell-through share of almost 50 percent, according to survey data published on Wednesday.

The iPhone's U.S. marketshare has remained fairly constant since the December quarter, despite the launch of high-profile Android phones from LG, HTC, and Samsung, said Canaccord Genuity analyst T. Michael Walkley in a memo about the survey obtained by AppleInsider. The firm is in fact scaling back its estimates of global smartphone shipments for 2015 from 1.45 billion to 1.39 billion, based on what it calls "weak" sales of those Android devices relative to the iPhone.

Walkley added that since Canaccord estimates suggest only 20 percent of the iPhone install base had upgraded to the 6 or 6 Plus by the end of the March quarter, Apple can continue to expect strong replacement sales going forward.

Canaccord's survey also reportedly indicated a "greater mix" of Android phone owners switching to the latest iPhones versus the era of the iPhone 5, 5s, and 5c. The iPhone install base is forecast to top 500 million by the end of 2015, one reason why Canaccord is maintaining a "buy" rating for Apple stock with a price target of $160. Currently, shares are hovering closer to the $124 mark.

The firm is raising its 2015 and 2016 earnings-per-share estimates from $8.91 to $9.90, and $9.17 to $10.02, respectively.

Much of the success of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus has been credited to Apple making a switch to 4.7- and 5.5-inch displays. For several years Apple kept to 4-inch screens even as rival Android devices were approaching or exceeding 5 inches.

Apple is expected to launch new iPhones later this year, likely around September. These should have relatively minor upgrades, such as faster processors, more RAM, and Force Touch support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    But Apple is doomed....Slice Intelligence says so. :D
  • Reply 2 of 11

Americans should be supporting Apple and not Samsung.  American citizens need to show some loyalty to an American company.

As far as Wall Street is concerned, Apple is still doomed.  I don't see anything wrong with Apple's business but the share price continues to slide.  Microsoft's share price hasn't been as weak as Apple's.  Microsoft's been laying off employees and has definitely been losing money in the mobile sector and yet Microsoft's institutional ownership has increased considerably over the past year and the P/E has risen.  Apparently Wall Street believes Windows 10 will be the big comeback product for Microsoft while AppleWatch is seen as a huge failure for Apple.  I guess it's just par for the course for Apple shareholders to take the pain without the gain.  As price targets for Apple rise, the share price sinks at a faster rate.  Go figure.

• Reply 3 of 11
    We've come a long long way from the goal of 1% of the phone market. ????
  • Reply 4 of 11

Apple Watch is now, and will be, even more so, a smash hit, especially in the upcoming Christmas Season.   Watch will greatly appeal to loving couples and teens once the word gets around on the very personal, intimate communications' features of the TAPTIC engine.   We owners/users of Apple Watch KNOW that it is a great convenience accessory adding to the feature set and utility of the ever-essential iPhone.  American consumers are constantly hungry for great, new gadgets, and there aren't too many other new, worthy, moderately affordable gadgets one can think of except perhaps Go Pro cameras?

Pundits criticize Watch as unnecessary because you can do everything it does with that iPhone nestled away in your pocket or handbag.   That's like someone in 2015 NOT paying extra for a car that comes equipped with power door locks or window lifts because these are also unnecessary, unessential conveniences. 

Slice Research seems to take its readings from online buyers who request emailed sales receipts.  NOW, Apple Watch is available for pick up in Apple Stores, so new buyers are not going to typically be requesting emailed receipts, IMO.   I'm sure the Watch is doing just fine.  Anyway, Apple refined this Watch over 3 years, and they are in this game for the long haul.

• Reply 5 of 11
    sog35 wrote: »

Pundits criticize Watch as unnecessary because you can do everything it does with that iPhone nestled away in your pocket or handbag.   That's like someone in 2015 NOT paying extra for a car that comes equipped with power door locks or window lifts because these are also unnecessary, unessential conveniences. 

Good point.

1970 - why do I need a computer to fit on a desk?  This 50 foot computer can do everything a personal computer could.

1990 - why do I need a laptop.  I can do everything that a laptop can with my PC.

2000 - why do I need a smartphone?  I can do everything that a smartphone can do on my laptop.

2015 - why do I need a smartwatch?  I can do everything that a smartwatch can with my smartphone.

You left out the iPod - why do I need an iPod? I've got a perfectly good 8-track in my car and another in my living room.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Slice Research seems to take its readings from online buyers who request emailed sales receipts.  

Wait, are you telling us that every time people carelessly give their email address to businesses to get their receipts, they are also giving permission for the information related to that sale to be data mined?

Raise your hands people, how many of you gave permission for your transaction data to be passed along to 3rd parties when you agreed to have your receipt emailed?

The quote above says "online buyers", but seriously, I see people giving away their email addresses in retail stores "for receipts" all the time as well. How can people be so blind?

Of Course companies are doing this! Sheeple.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    blah64 wrote: »
    Wait, are you telling us that every time people carelessly give their email address to businesses to get their receipts, they are also giving permission for the information related to that sale to be data mined?

Raise your hands people, how many of you gave permission for your transaction data to be passed along to 3rd parties when you agreed to have your receipt emailed?

The quote above says "online buyers", but seriously, I see people giving away their email addresses in retail stores "for receipts" all the time as well. How can people be so blind?

Of Course companies are doing this! Sheeple.

Not only that the app is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars in the App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slice-automatic-package-tracker/id475854271?mt=8

Here's another gem I'm sure you'll rush out to download Blah, and it's rated even higher! Folks requesting ads!
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adfun-friends-prizes-fun/id740290901?mt=8
  • Reply 8 of 11
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Not only that the app is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars in the App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slice-automatic-package-tracker/id475854271?mt=8

Here's another gem I'm sure you'll rush out to download Blah, and it's rated even higher! Folks requesting ads!
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adfun-friends-prizes-fun/id740290901?mt=8

My eyes are rolling so far back into my head that all I can see is eyelids.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    People do get frustrated, tired with fragmented android, manufacturer customised UI, bloatware, and than no timely updates or no update at all. Once you start using Iphone, you use smartphone and everything around echo system seamlessly and live your life God intended.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    wood1208 wrote: »
    Once you start using Iphone, you use smartphone and everything around echo system seamlessly and live your life God intended.

:D