Apple orders up 90 million 'iPhone 6s' units with Force Touch for 2015 - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Apple reportedly has big ambitions for its next-generation iPhones, having tasked its manufacturing partners with assembling between 85 million and 90 million handsets --?complete with Force Touch --?to carry it through launch and the holiday shopping season.

If accurate, the numbers cited by The Wall Street Journal indicate that Apple could be anticipating sales growth of more than 10 percent year-over-year. The company ordered between 70 million and 80 million iPhone 6 and 6 Plus units for launch in 2014.

As AppleInsider first reported in February, the so-called "iPhone 6s" models are expected to add Force Touch, a pressure-sensitive touch system first introduced with the Apple Watch. They could also gain a new color option, which many industry insiders believe to be an Apple Watch Edition-like rose gold.

Display sizes will likely stay fixed at 4.7 and 5.5 inches, and the display technology is thought to remain much the same. The new handsets are unlikely to carry a dual camera system, which was widely rumored earlier this year, but are almost sure to bring the debut of Apple's anticipated "A9" application processor and a corresponding increase in RAM.

People familiar with development of Apple's next-generation handsets have indicated to AppleInsider that they are internally codenamed "N71" for the 4.7-inch model and "N66" for the 5.5-inch version.

Apple is said to have considered adding Wistron as a third assembly partner for the new iPhones, joining existing partners Foxconn and Pegatron. The move to include Wistron --?which has a long history with Apple --?is likely an attempt to alleviate long waits for consumers, as demand for new iPhone models routinely outstrips supply.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Holy ****. That's a lot of phones.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I thought this might pare back some of the losses today but negative China data is just too strong.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Put me down for 3
  • Reply 4 of 30
    2015, you mean
  • Reply 5 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Had that precise reaction.

• Reply 6 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought this might pare back some of the losses today but negative China data is just too strong.

What "China data"? Apple is killing it in China. 

• Reply 7 of 30
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    rogifan wrote: »

If you meant iPhone stand by mode consumes more data while sleeping you should keep in mind that it does many things there, like syncing, backing up and updating apps for example.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Wait a second, what happened to the old Slurpy, the one that pulled no (expletive) punches!?

j/k

• Reply 9 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    slurpy wrote: »

Great minds think alike here.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Analysts to predict 120 MM iPhones for Fy16q1. Anything less spells Apple's doom.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

What "China data"? Apple is killing it in China. 

The Chinese stock market losing something like 25% of it's value over a few weeks and the drop continuing despite rumors of government involvevement to try and stop the slide is how I read that.

http://www.morningstar.com/news/dow-jones/TDJNDN_201507083066/asia-markets-china-markets-fall-sharply-despite-fresh-help-from-beijing.html

• Reply 12 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rogifan wrote: »

We are on the verge of a world wide depression. China and the EU are very likely to pull the entire world under.

It really is a good time to stuff the mattress with cash, the pantry with food and the gun cabinet with ammo! Lots of ammo. Seriously the situation in China, Greece and the EU is pretty bad, we will be lucky if 2016 goes smoothly for the USA.

In Apples case the exposure they have to China is huge. It is a big market but frankly they have too much Manufacturing going on there. A social upheaval in China will impact Apple in multiple ways.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

That was my reaction when I read the WSJ clip.

How much money would Apple earn by selling 80 million to 90 million iPhones in 3 months?

• Reply 14 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    We are on the verge of a world wide depression. China and the EU are very likely to pull the entire world under.

It really is a good time to stuff the mattress with cash, the pantry with food and the gun cabinet with ammo! Lots of ammo. Seriously the situation in China, Greece and the EU is pretty bad, we will be lucky if 2016 goes smoothly for the USA.

In Apples case the exposure they have to China is huge. It is a big market but frankly they have too much Manufacturing going on there. A social upheaval in China will impact Apple in multiple ways.

Ha, my brother just told me this weekend to pull my money out of the market. But what do you put it into? It's not like it's gonna make any money sitting in a bank.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It really is a good time to stuff the mattress with cash, 

Cash? In a doomsday scenario you might be better off with junk silver (pre 1964 US coinage).

In 1964 you could buy a gallon of gas for a quarter. You can buy a gallon of gas today for that same quarter.

• Reply 16 of 30
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    wizard69 wrote: »

It's probably just a recession not a revolution. The EU is led by donkeys.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    And the NYSE just halted all transactions. Here we go.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    A word or two of caution.

the 90 m is plucked out of someone's arse. Supply chain experts might be able to predict or get data on phones at launch but not this. It's too far away and there's no way that Apple would order, pre-order or mention 90M to any one supplier. They'll be told how many are expected in the first month and to be able to ramp up. After that Apple will judge the market and build more as needed.

AI used to be more sceptical
  • Reply 19 of 30
    And since this is an "S", or continuation model, we should expect higher margins too.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    And the NYSE just halted all transactions. Here we go.

Technical glitch.