Questionable report claims Apple Watch sales plummet from 200K units per day to less than 20K in US

Comments

• Reply 81 of 120
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    djsherly wrote: »
    I think you're reading far too much into my statements:rolleyes:.

If anyone's reading far too much into statements, it's you in Post #69 above. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 82 of 120
    I don't appreciate your continued veiled insults.

So sorry, I didn't mean for it be veiled! :lol:
  • Reply 83 of 120
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I'm not an analyst, but 7 million watches in the U.S. alone a year doesn't sound horrible...

I seriously doubt the accuracy of Slice Intelligence's numbers but I totally agree with your comment, especially since the analysts claimed that the entire smartwatch market in 2014 was approximately 1 million units.

• Reply 84 of 120
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

When Apple Watch is on its 8th generation HW release you can compare those numbers, until then you either look clueless or you're just trolling.

You're assuming it's going to make it to an eight generation. I am in no way trolling seeing I bought my wife an Apple Watch. My comments have nothing to do with my buying habits, what products I own. It has to do with the topic of the thread. People want to blow off numbers reported by another source because they are simply defending Apple and they don't like the way the numbers look.

I'm simply pointing out the numbers could be close and it also seems odd Apple has not reported any numbers. At all. 

You know as well as I do if Apple sold 8-10 million in preorders they would have put out a release in a few days. The numbers aren't good or at least good based on Apple standards. 

• Reply 85 of 120
    That I did see, but I was not counting that as 'the logo' as much as a description of the product name. In any event, even if we were to count that as the logo, that would be somewhat different from what we've seen in the past in terms of Apple's branding, no?

It's a different product. There really is nowhere they can put it without it looking out of place.
  • Reply 86 of 120
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Can someone explain to me what Apple would gain by reporting sales numbers? Apple is already selling every ?Watch they can make. Seems to me the only ones who would benefit from the actual numbers would be the competition as real numbers would tell them how much effort they should devote to either developing a competing product like it or different from it.

• Reply 87 of 120
    That I did see, but I was not counting that as 'the logo' as much as a description of the product name. In any event, even if we were to count that as the logo, that would be somewhat different from what we've seen in the past in terms of Apple's branding, no?

It's a different product. There really is nowhere they can put it without it looking out of place.

Really? Why not one where most watch manufacturers put it? Or, why not design it around one of the biometric sensors?
  • Reply 88 of 120
    atlapple wrote: »

You know as well as I do... 

You do? Provide the evidence for how you do, then?
  • Reply 89 of 120

You're assuming it's going to make it to an eight generation. I am in no way trolling seeing I bought my wife an Apple Watch. My comments have nothing to do with my buying habits, what products I own. It has to do with the topic of the thread. People want to blow off numbers reported by another source because they are simply defending Apple and they don't like the way the numbers look.

I'm simply pointing out the numbers could be close and it also seems odd Apple has not reported any numbers. At all. 

You know as well as I do if Apple sold 8-10 million in preorders they would have put out a release in a few days. The numbers aren't good or at least good based on Apple standards. 

You don't know that.

They said in October they wouldn't report numbers and they haven't. I don't know how hard that is to understand.

It doesn't matter anyway. Even if they sold 20 million it would be reported that they aren't getting enough of the install base to purchase Watch.

The only people that should really care about ? Watch sales are investors looking for an return on the R&D costs for this new category. Apple fans don't care how well the watch is doing. They have their iPhones/iPads/Macs keeping them busy. Apple haters are going to look for anything negative or spin positives into negatives. Cook doesn't really have to worry. He's about to sell 90 million iPhone 6s/6s+. Watch is an accessory. It'll grow over time.

With Apple's history they make money on their hardware. Watch is not going to be any different.
  • Reply 90 of 120
    Really? Why not one where most watch manufacturers put it?

You mean on the watch face? Well you can do that yourself.
    Or, why not design it around one of the biometric sensors?

Why?
  • Reply 91 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Can someone explain to me what Apple would gain by reporting sales numbers? Apple is already selling every ?Watch they can make. Seems to me the only ones who would benefit from the actual numbers would be the competition as real numbers would tell them how much effort they should devote to either developing a competing product like it or different from it.

This is just an opinion. Third party apps are weak, most of them don't work very well and the selection of good apps is limited. The native apps are very good and honestly work great. Good numbers encourage third party developers to invest money and time to make quality apps which will improve the Apple Watch ecosystem. 

Good numbers helps boost stock prices, makes investors confidence in the product high. 

Apple put a lot of effort and pre release hype into this watch. They send Apple execs like Ive to promote the watch, tried to get the fashion industry on board to help market the watch. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/looks-apple-watch-sales-tanking-223328311.html;_ylt=AwrC1TFpYp1Vvk4AaZ.TmYlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMHVzM20zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

"When Re/code's Walt Mossberg asked Apple's Jeff Williams how many watches have been sold, Williams replied: "A lot, but not enough."

Take that quote for what it's worth, it may not even be true. however it could be. 

• Reply 92 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

You don't know that.

They said in October they wouldn't report numbers and they haven't. I don't know how hard that is to understand.

It doesn't matter anyway. Even if they sold 20 million it would be reported that they aren't getting enough of the install base to purchase Watch.

The only people that should really care about ? Watch sales are investors looking for an return on the R&D costs for this new category. Apple fans don't care how well the watch is doing. They have their iPhones/iPads/Macs keeping them busy. Apple haters are going to look for anything negative or spin positives into negatives. Cook doesn't really have to worry. He's about to sell 90 million iPhone 6s/6s+. Watch is an accessory. It'll grow over time.

With Apple's history they make money on their hardware. Watch is not going to be any different.

Tim Cook cares and he should worry. This is the first major product release since he took over at CEO. No CEO wants their first new product release to fall or not do well. 

• Reply 93 of 120
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

This is just an opinion. Third party apps are weak, most of them don't work very well and the selection of good apps is limited. The native apps are very good and honestly work great. Good numbers encourage third party developers to invest money and time to make quality apps which will improve the Apple Watch ecosystem. 

Good numbers helps boost stock prices, makes investors confidence in the product high. 

Apple put a lot of effort and pre release hype into this watch. They send Apple execs like Ive to promote the watch, tried to get the fashion industry on board to help market the watch. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/looks-apple-watch-sales-tanking-223328311.html;_ylt=AwrC1TFpYp1Vvk4AaZ.TmYlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMHVzM20zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

"When Re/code's Walt Mossberg asked Apple's Jeff Williams how many watches have been sold, Williams replied: "A lot, but not enough."

Take that quote for what it's worth, it may not even be true. however it could be. 

Curiously you left part of the quote out: "A lot, but not enough. The only number I’ll give you is that demand divided by supply is greater than one, and so that’s all I’ve got for you, Walt. It’s a lot."

Puts your partial quote in better context. That FUD seems trollish.
  • Reply 94 of 120

hello 

sir how are you sir i have know any idea for this idea for this i am helpless you contact to me next time i am giving a link to you this link is helpfull you

thanks to contact me 

thanks

[url=http://www.rjavatutorial.tk] java tutorial [/url]

• Reply 95 of 120
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member

Tim Cook cares and he should worry. This is the first major product release since he took over at CEO. No CEO wants their first new product release to fall or not do well. 

But you don't have a realistic definition of doing well. All you're spouting is that they aren't reporting number which, to you, means Watch isn't doing well which is nonsense.

Tim Cook – one of the most powerful CEOs on Earth – is not worried. Not about an accessory to the iPhone. Just like he isn't worried about Apple TV sales. Which is why ? Watch numbers will be with the ? TV numbers.
  • Reply 96 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Curiously you left part of the quote out: "A lot, but not enough. The only number I’ll give you is that demand divided by supply is greater than one, and so that’s all I’ve got for you, Walt. It’s a lot."

Puts your partial quote in better context. That FUD seems trollish.

I didn't leave out anything because I provided the link so everyone can read the entire article. It's not like I posted a quote and didn't provide a link to fill in the context. That little pad below your keyboard can be used at any time to click on a link. Give it a try. 

Ming-Chi Kuo who was fairly bullish on Apple Watch sales also he lowered his estimate from 20-30 Million down to 15 Million. He has a fairly good track record with Apple predictions. 

We have no idea what Tim Cook or Apple considers good sales. What we may consider as good most likely is not what they consider good. If Apple hasn't release numbers on what is supposed to be ground breaking technology, what some here have called a technology marvel (which I have to say made me laugh) then one logical and reasonable conclusion could be the sales are not meeting their exception and they believe releasing those numbers could hurt stock prices and developer and investor confidence in the product. 

So not even close to trolling , even more so from someone that has bought one.

• Reply 97 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

But you don't have a realistic definition of doing well. All you're spouting is that they aren't reporting number which, to you, means Watch isn't doing well which is nonsense.

Tim Cook – one of the most powerful CEOs on Earth – is not worried. Not about an accessory to the iPhone. Just like he isn't worried about Apple TV sales. Which is why ? Watch numbers will be with the ? TV numbers.

No one has a definition of doing well. However doing well is often based on predictions. If investors and developers have or had an expectation and Apple believes they have not met that expectation well that can be seen as bad numbers. I'm just reading what other are writing and commenting on it. Most forecasts have been lowered by people that follow this far more then I do. 

The only complaint about the Apple Watch that I have is the third party apps aren't very good right now. Releasing what developers consider good numbers will change all that. If they consider them bad numbers then they might not be as willing to invest time and money into making a better Apple Watch ecosystem. 

This isn't anything new and some members here will just always blindly go into attack mode if an article says anything negative about Apple. The market is always looking for numbers if they weren't Apple would have no need to release a quarterly report. 

• Reply 98 of 120
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

I didn't leave out anything because I provided the link so everyone can read the entire article. It's not like I posted a quote and didn't provide a link to fill in the context. That little pad below your keyboard can be used at any time to click on a link. Give it a try. 

Ming-Chi Kuo who was fairly bullish on Apple Watch sales also he lowered his estimate from 20-30 Million down to 15 Million. He has a fairly good track record with Apple predictions. 

We have no idea what Tim Cook or Apple considers good sales. What we may consider as good most likely is not what they consider good. If Apple hasn't release numbers on what is supposed to be ground breaking technology, what some here have called a technology marvel (which I have to say made me laugh) then one logical and reasonable conclusion could be the sales are not meeting their exception and they believe releasing those numbers could hurt stock prices and developer and investor confidence in the product. 

So not even close to trolling , even more so from someone that has bought one. I just haven't drank the Kool Aid.

First. If Ming was so accurate how'd he come up with 30 MM prior to its release? He just made them up.

Second. Even before it was released, Cook explained Apple wouldn't be releasing numbers. So Cook didn't change his mind overnight. It was the plan all along.

Third. Demand > supply. Your partial quote implies they had excess supply. The full quote implies Apple would have sold more if they had supply.

It doesn't matter if you provided a link. You misconstrued a quote. I usually don't read links but I did in this case because there must have been more to the quote.
  • Reply 99 of 120
    Really? Why not one where most watch manufacturers put it?

You mean on the watch face? Well you can do that yourself.
    Or, why not design it around one of the biometric sensors?

Why?

1) Have you used the Watch? You can only do so in one of the available Watch faces.

2) For the the same reason that the Apple logo is a visible piece of design in every other Apple product? And because some might see it as a cool and subtle way to integrate into the current Watch hardware design?

Sounds to me like you have not really handled -- let alone used -- the product.
  • Reply 100 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

First. If Ming was so accurate how'd he come up with 30 MM prior to its release? He just made them up.

Second. Even before it was released, Cook explained Apple wouldn't be releasing numbers. So Cook didn't change his mind overnight. It was the plan all along.

Third. Demand > supply. Your partial quote implies they had excess supply. The full quote implies Apple would have sold more if they had supply.

It doesn't matter if you provided a link. You misconstrued a quote. I usually don't read links but I did in this case because there must have been more to the quote.

Ming has been one of the most accurate predictors of Apple products. No one is even close to perfect. I don't look at smartwatch sales as an Apple issue, I look at it as a smartwatch segment issue. Is there really a demand for wearable technology? Based on what I have been reading one of the factors for his adjustment had to do with the production numbers of the taptic engine the Apple Watch uses. 

No there wasn't more valid information to the quote. When someone says "a lot but not enough" that is a very clear statement. The rest of the comment was nothing more than a blow off to the person asking the question. And the end of the quote all he said again was " a lot". That is not an answer. 

This will turn out to be really simple, when the numbers are release then we will know who was right and who was wrong.