EUR/USD price difference

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone noticed how, despite the recent upward move of the Euro (1.007 USD as of today), Apple has kept European prices substantially higher than their American counterparts...

Base Config prices:

eMac: 1,099 USD - 1,199 EUR

iMac: 1,399 USD - 1,599 EUR

PowerBook: 2,499 USD - 2,999 EUR

iBook: 1,199 USD - 1,399 EUR

PowerMac: 1,599 USD - 1,899 EUR

Xserve: 2,999 USD - 3,599 EUR

Am I the only European Mac user who's pissed off big time on this? I'm certainly not going to buy anything from Apple until they stop this extortion...

ZoSo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    shipping?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I was about to reply that because of the EURO USD difference, there would be a price difference. But I just went to xe.com and saw that we are in parity again!!! Wooohoo!! 1eur = 1usd!

Thats actually bad for this case since it means that we get fvcked with prices (as usual).

Also, I've gone to France, UK, Belgian, and Italian Apple Online Stores and they ALL sell the iBook 12inch Combo with a 4x CDR function while in the US its an 8x. Over priced and underpowered... thanks Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Here in the UK, we are often charged the same figure in Pounds Sterling as it is in USD, so if an item costs 1000 USD we are charged 1000 GBP even though it should only be 700 - 800 GBP. I don't think shipping can account for the discrepancy, as I don't think the parts are manufactured or assembled in the US anyway.

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 23
    And now for someting completely different!

I just bought a used g3 blue and white, it came with a Micro connectors keyboard, and logitech mouse, it's technically called the USB flavored keyboard for macintosh. It's full size 105 keys with 2 USB "A" ports. the problem is the mouse stops working every five or ten minutes until I unplug and replug in the keyboard on the mac side, this is a chronic problem and does the same thing with a MAC mouse. They keyboard was new but did not seem to come with any type of disk, just the keyboard. Anyone else experience or hear of this problem. it seems t be a nice keyboard and sells for about 46-56 dollars at macWHOREhouse. thanks.

Bill K
  • Reply 5 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by nyaudioguy:

<strong>And now for someting completely different!

I just bought a used g3 blue and white, it came with a Micro connectors keyboard, and logitech mouse, it's technically called the USB flavored keyboard for macintosh. It's full size 105 keys with 2 USB "A" ports. the problem is the mouse stops working every five or ten minutes until I unplug and replug in the keyboard on the mac side, this is a chronic problem and does the same thing with a MAC mouse. They keyboard was new but did not seem to come with any type of disk, just the keyboard. Anyone else experience or hear of this problem. it seems t be a nice keyboard and sells for about 46-56 dollars at macWHOREhouse. thanks.

Bill K</strong><hr></blockquote>

i dont really get how you came to ask such a question in this kind of thread, but watever... welcome to AI

First off: this should go in the "Genius Bar" section, second; what OS are you using?

It could be that either the USB repeater in the keyboard is fubar, the mouse may be fubar, maybe the BlueWhite usb port if fubar. Have you tried different ports?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    oh, and by the way, if you plan to get a Titanium Powerbook, do the following:

Buy ticket to NYC (or anywhere in USA) from europe

Fly to destination

go to apple store or order from online store and have sent to you at US address

enjoy a day or two (or 3, 4....) in USA, fly back with new TiBook

You will have STILL saved money rather than buying in Europe

In USA base TiBook is 2499$ (not including sales tax... do sales tax apply if you order online??? to NYC say). In Belgium, for example, the same TiBook will set you back 3400euro... almost ONE THOUSAND dollars more (including the 21% sales tax). You can have one HELL of a vacation and STILL get the TiBook. A trip to NYC costs anywhere from 200 to 300 dolars...

catch my drift?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>You will have STILL saved money rather than buying in Europe </strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh, guess how I bought my Ti666 three months ago? It was promo time, so I got a full GB of Ram with it. If I may suggest a good state to enjoy a quick vacation and get a Mac cheap, go to New Hampshire. It's beautiful, and has 0% sales tax!

Here I'd have had to pay a 400/600 EUR difference just to repay that nasty private jet that Jobs received from the Board of Directors, and after that another 20% sales tax!

I had really hoped to see at lest some resemblance between European and American prices, but I see that the price delta is unjustifiably huge as usual. I'd love to get a G5, but do you think Air France or Lufthansa will let me carry it on board?

"I swear, this is my hand luggage!"

ZoSo

--Sick of having a laptop--
  • Reply 8 of 23
    gullivergulliver Posts: 122member
    This is what I posted at the Apple Forum:

<a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bb87556"; target="_blank">http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bb87556</a>;

"In the US QT 6 Pro costs 29,99 US$ (+tax). In Europe the price is 35,- Euro (+tax). At an exchange rate of 1,01 US$ per Euro that is 35,35 US$.

Why is QuickTime 18% more expensive in Europe?

Why are all(!) Apple products appr. 20% more expensive in Europe?

When the Euro exchange rate got weaker towards the US$ it took Apple only 2 weeks to rise the european prices. Now the Dollar is falling since April and they still do not react.

Look into the online forums in Europe and you will find hundreds of users who want to buy Apple products but wait until Apple adjusts their prices!"

I wonder how long the thread will be on the bord before it gets censored?!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Weren't prices even higher before? And this is a short-term thing...the weakness of the dollar against other currencies.

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Weren't prices even higher before? Shouldn't you guys be happy the US Dollar is weak and the prices have gone down?

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

If it only were that way... European prices did not go down at all!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    So back in March, the iMac was only 1599 ? EUR or around $1359 USD? I doubt that.

In the financial analyst meeting, they mentioned the Euro prices going down.

• Reply 12 of 23
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>So back in March, the iMac was only 1599 ? EUR or around $1359 USD? I doubt that.

In the financial analyst meeting, they mentioned the Euro prices going down.

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

And it is still the same price!

<a href="http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/nlstore"; target="_blank">http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/nlstore</a>;

<a href="http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/austrianstore"; target="_blank">http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/austrianstore</a>;

<a href="http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/francestore"; target="_blank">http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/francestore</a>;

Only today that converts to 1615,- US$.

The US-price is 1399,- US$.

If you compare the pro-machines the truth becomes evitable:

G4 Ultimate Europe: 4789,- Euro = 4837,- US$

G4 Ultimate US: 4099,- US$

(All prices and calculations done without tax!)
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Can anybody confirm the Euro pricing for Apple Store has not changed in the last few months? I find it impossible to believe Apple had been selling Macs for less money in Europe than in the US.

• Reply 14 of 23
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ZoSo:

[QB]

Heh, guess how I bought my Ti666 three months ago? It was promo time, so I got a full GB of Ram with it. If I may suggest a good state to enjoy a quick vacation and get a Mac cheap, go to New Hampshire. It's beautiful, and has 0% sales tax!

Here I'd have had to pay a 400/600 EUR difference just to repay that nasty private jet that Jobs received from the Board of Directors, and after that another 20% sales tax!

I had really hoped to see at lest some resemblance between European and American prices, but I see that the price delta is unjustifiably huge as usual. I'd love to get a G5, but do you think Air France or Lufthansa will let me carry it on board?

Zoso,
  • Reply 15 of 23
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ZoSo:

[QB]

Zoso, I've been thinking of doing the same myself. Did you not have any trouble with customs?
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Shiping for that price is bull shit

For a start a lot of the apple computer are made in DUBLIN so how thay get too that price I do not no.

Thanks again apple for ripping us off
  • Reply 17 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    [quote]Originally posted by Waynepixel:

<strong>Shiping for that price is bull shit

For a start a lot of the apple computer are made in DUBLIN so how thay get too that price I do not no.

Thanks again apple for ripping us off</strong><hr></blockquote>

Troll
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Doesn't Euro and UK pricing also account for VAT (value added tax or sales tax to the Americans)? At 17.5% - 21.5%, that should account for the price difference.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scooterboy:

<strong>Doesn't Euro and UK pricing also account for VAT (value added tax or sales tax to the Americans)? At 17.5% - 21.5%, that should account for the price difference.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope, the prices quoted here have been adjusted for VAT. I just checked a few Apple stores, not only are Euro prices some 20% higher, the spec is often worse, there are no discounts available (crystal clear, reduced price software etc. The prices in the UK are currently slightly better than the Euro zone, but not much.

The price differential appears to be around 20% before tax and shipping, any one-off charges such as extra shipping should not appear as a percentage.

BTW Apple's market share outside the USA is even lower than its 3.5% in the USA.

Michael
  • Reply 20 of 23
    That explains why when people see my iBook, they say. "What is that, a laptop?"

"No", I reply, "it's an iBook, you know, a Mac"

To which I often hear, "I've never seen a Mac before"