Apple Music helps iOS 8.4 exceed 40% adoption in first week

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Apple now notes that as of June 22, 84 percent of its mobile users are now using iOS 8. Analytics firm Mixpanel further details that 40 percent of the installed base has already upgraded to iOS 8.4, and states that rapid adoption is being driven by interest in the new Apple Music.

Apple Music

Apple's users are prompted to upgrade, so organic updates naturally drive adoption of new releases as they become available. However, Mixpanel's chief executive Suhail Doshi noted that 'the pace at which adoption has occurred indicates Apple Music is definitely a key factor as well' in driving adoption.

Source: Mixpanel

Apple Music requires iOS 8.4, giving users an additional reason to make space and set aside time to download the new software.

Going forward, Apple outlined plans at last month's Worldwide Developer Conference to make it even easier for users to adopt iOS 9, by greatly reducing the amount of free space users need to have in order to download the update, as well as allowing users to schedule the upgrade to occur at night.

Apple has long held an advanced lead in getting its users to upgrade to the latest version of its platforms, both when comparing iOS to Android and OS X to Windows. It is far easier for Apple to make updates available for its users because it doesn't have to deal with the vast variety of hardware differences in its installed base of users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    I turned it off. It doesn't impress me, if I don't like a song enough to buy it, it doesn't need to be in my library. On iOS, with it turned on it is way more cumbersome to get to your local playlists. As a DJ that is frustrating. Furthermore, on iTunes I cannot edit certain info fields on any of my music now. It just won't work on either of my Macs. I can't seem to find the issue online or what may be causing it, but iTunes match moved a few audiobooks into music, switched a few album covers with book covers, and will not let me edit those fields.. "media kind" or "album artwork". "Music" is the only shown option for media kind. Album artwork doesn't save after editing. There is no DRM on these local copies. Unimpressed to say the least. Maybe, MAYBE if the bugs are worked out. I also hate the lack of editing capability on self curated stations as you had under iTunes radio. Lame.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    pigybank wrote: »
    I turned it off. It doesn't impress me, if I don't like a song enough to buy it, it doesn't need to be in my library. On iOS, with it turned on it is way more cumbersome to get to your local playlists. As a DJ that is frustrating. Furthermore, on iTunes I cannot edit certain info fields on any of my music now. It just won't work on either of my Macs. I can't seem to find the issue online or what may be causing it, but iTunes match moved a few audiobooks into music, switched a few album covers with book covers, and will not let me edit those fields.. "media kind" or "album artwork". "Music" is the only shown option for media kind. Album artwork doesn't save after editing. There is no DRM on these local copies. Unimpressed to say the least. Maybe, MAYBE if the bugs are worked out. I also hate the lack of editing capability on self curated stations as you had under iTunes radio. Lame.

I turned it off as well. The recommendations in For You actually got worse as time went on. :lol:

I also don't like that in the new Music app it is no longer simple to see what's in the cloud and what's on the device. I had to do a restore today because of the big number of bugs in 8.4, and now I'm having to spend hours retuning my music on my iPhone because the music wasn't restored the way it was before. If I had the old cloud download icon, problem solved.

At least they got rid of Cover Flow.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I turned it off as well. The recommendations in For You actually got worse as time went on. :lol:

I also don't like that in the new Music app it is no longer simple to see what's in the cloud and what's on the device. I had to do a restore today because of the big number of bugs in 8.4, and now I'm having to spend hours retuning my music on my iPhone because the music wasn't restored the way it was before. If I had the old cloud download icon, problem solved.

I'm still not liking it either and agree with you. Although, I'm still going to give it a chance for a little more time.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    sog35 wrote: »
    Man AppleMusic is going to be a hit.

Before I tried the free trial I was 100% sure I wasn't going to pay $ for streaming.

But after using it for a few days.....WOW!  Having almost every single song know to man at your fingertips or with a short phase using Siri is amazing.  But the key is the curation.  The BEATS software is FLATOUT AMAZING in recommending songs!  That $3B price tag for Beats was such a smart move.

This is why you need to trust Apple.  All the haters on this board said buying Beats was stupid.  They said they sell overrated headphones.  But the truth is Apple bought them mainly for the BEATS software and Music connections.  Those things the haters did not even consider.

Not going to deny that Apple Music will be a hit because I think it will as well. I guess I'm just not that impressed with it as you are as I've been able to do all this already with Google Play Music except for the Sir integration, which I don't use anyways. Google Play Music already did a great job at curated music with Songza that's made by humans and discovery of new music for me. I'm still giving Apple Music a chance but the fact that it's hard as hell to make a new playlist from the song that's playing drives me bonkers.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Man AppleMusic is going to be a hit.

Before I tried the free trial I was 100% sure I wasn't going to pay $ for streaming.

But after using it for a few days.....WOW!  Having almost every single song know to man at your fingertips or with a short phase using Siri is amazing.  But the key is the curation.  The BEATS software is FLATOUT AMAZING in recommending songs!  That $3B price tag for Beats was such a smart move.

This is why you need to trust Apple.  All the haters on this board said buying Beats was stupid.  They said they sell overrated headphones.  But the truth is Apple bought them mainly for the BEATS software and Music connections.  Those things the haters did not even consider.

Apple could've done the same at a fraction of the price, but they were pressed for time, which led them to over pay for Beats.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Definitely was not a factor for me.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Apple could've done the same at a fraction of the price, but they were pressed for time, which led them to over pay for Beats.

Really, don't worry. The Beats hardware business, all on its own, will pay back the acquisition costs in a reasonable number of years. People buying stocks regularly pay 15, 20, 50x annual earnings. And yet, to imagine that Apple might earn back its Beats acquisition cost in a matter of even 5 or 10 years seems to be shocking to people. It shouldn't be; that's to be expected even from the best acquisition. a business that will pay back its acquisition costs in a year or two is a business that the seller will demand a higher price for.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    Apple Music is not necessarily the reason many have "adopted" iOS 8.4, Many users simply like to be on the latest release. There are quite a few iOS devices in my house that are running iOS 8.4 and not a single one of them is subscribed to Apple Music.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    and how friken long would that take? Time is money. Every day Apple did not have a top end streaming service would be millions of dollars lost. If Apple took another year to bring out their streaming service they could have lost a couple billion or even more.

This is like saying you should have your own Cow, your own chickens, and your own fruit trees. Sorry man. We dont have time to raise animals and fruit trees. Same with Apple. They had no time to build a top quality streaming service from scratch, hire top music industry talent (no way the talent that joined Apple would have without Dre/Iovine in the stable), music curating, name recogintion of the beats brand.

And how the frick is it overpaying? The beats hardware division alone makes enough profits to justify the $3B price tag. The margins on those headphones are even higher than the iPhone!

Ok I see what you're trying to say but saying that Apple had no "time" to build a top quality streaming service is bologna. Everyone else in the current business had time to get it up and running. Apple was just behind the eight ball on this one factor. Now they did a good thing by coming out with a good service which will do well but saying they didn't have time is just not true.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Am I the only one shocked to see a Dilger article under 25 paragraphs and not overly bashing everything that isn't apple? Lol
  • Reply 11 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Whatever the reason, well done Apple, 40% so fast must make Google want to cry.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    one out of 300,000,000

40% update this quickly is not the norm

You mean like when iOS 8 came out to the same adoption rate despite the issues with the patch that had to be withdrawn?

"Less than one week after iOS 8 was made available for download, Apple on Tuesday announced the next-generation mobile operating system is now on 46 percent of devices linked to the iOS App Store."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/23/apple-says-ios-8-already-on-46-of-devices-nears-ios-7-distribution
  • Reply 13 of 18
    joergsijoergsi Posts: 17member
    I'm still in the learning curve to mistrust Apple more with their products!

1. BAD experience, iTunes Match killed my Data-Plan on my Mobile Phone => deactivated this
    2. BAD experience, iCloud messed up my complete music library.

OK, lesson learned, before I'm activating anything in iTunes in the future I'm searching for the 'consequences'.

So far for me, every iTunes 'improvement' backfired to me.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I tried out Beats 1, turned off Apple Music and haven't revisited either since installing it. And I'm really disappointed with the UI mess that is the app. My music is much less accessible and organized.

Here is the capper...for the first time since I've held AAPL, I'm seriously entertaining getting out of the stock and I'm thinking there is less chance now than before of it recovering and hitting $140 by the end of the year unless something spectacular is released. With the combination of the collapsing bubble of the Chinese stock market and the floundering EU, it isn't looking good. "Sog35's" prediction of $150 certainly won't happen (as I told him).
  • Reply 15 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    You fell for the media's bullshit that China is doomed.  Do you even research things?  At all?  The Chinese stock market is still up 15% YTD! 

Floundering EU??  Are talking about Greece?  You fell for more BULLSHIT.  Greece is like 3% of the EU.  They generate the same GDP as Oregon!!! I mean WTF!!!!

But go ahead and sell your shares for cheap.  This is EXACTLY what the Wall Street manipulators want you to do.

If we don't hit $150 by EOY I'll ban myself for 1 year.

I'm going to hold you to that.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    scineramscineram Posts: 19member

And what a huge mistake the installation of this clusterfuck was!

Now all around the world we cannot listen to vulgar music and podcasts. Thanks world's richest corporation!

• Reply 17 of 18
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Please be 8.4.1 with debug soon, going from 8.1.2 to 8.4 sucks in bugs, they both have terrible restart device needing bugs. The thing about 8.4 is that it's faster at least.