Microsoft to axe 7,800 jobs from struggling mobile phone unit in new restructuring plan

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

What's MS still living on: Windows and Office? They're okay in the short term but long run, they will see steeper competition in enterprise segments and their piece of pie will get smaller. I would not trust in MSFT for long term investment since I don't have product diversity. Surface? How longer will it last? It's not a good tablet nor laptop and Cooks was right: Float and Fly, you can't do both very well.

You should learn more about MS businesses if you think they live from Windows and Office.  And BTW, Surface is already a 1 billion business by it self, and growing.  Maybe Cook wasn't right after all.

• Reply 42 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That 'stagnation is across the board for tablets, Apple suffering less than most so not sure what you see Microsoft doing there! Simply failing less badly than phones?

Surface is a 1 billion dollar business and growing.  How is that a failing?

• Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

iPads sales are doing fine.  People just don't need to replace them every 2 years.  I'm still using my iPad 3 all the time, daily in fact.  my Dad uses his iPad 2 every day!!!  my brother has his iPad 1 & 2 and that's always being used.  The iPad 1 by his kids all the time.  I'm waiting to buy a new one.  I'd like to get that rumored iPad Pro with the larger screen.   No me, the iPad MINI's just seem silly.  With Big phones, a Mini is pointless.

The fact is Apple is still selling a ton of iPads, far more then any other tablet being sold.  Yes iPads sales have dropped, but people keep leaving out that everyone else's tablet sales have dropped a lot more!!!

I don't want a Surface.  I don't want something that's fails at being a good tablet or a Good laptop by trying to be both.   I want my tablet to just work.  I don't want to deal with firewalls, Anti-Virus Programs, Spyware software, etc .  Not to mentions lots and lots of Security updates every month.  I get enough of that crap from my Windows Desktop and Laptop.   I can do anything and everything I want on my iPad.  There's nothing a Surface can do that a iPad can't other then run Windows Software.  Though these days I can run Microsoft Office on my iPad if I wanted to anyway.    When they say "There's a App for that!"  it's quite true!!!   iPad has also had Keyboard covers for longer then the Surface has been around!!!

Since you mentioned it, why don't go to the Surface Pro instead of an iPad with a keyboard cover.  The SP3 was designed with the keyboard in mind, while adding a keyboard to an iPad is not the best experience from a hardware or app POV (at least in my experience). 

• Reply 44 of 52
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Finally, MS still haven't learnt that trying to munge one interface onto 3 separate classes of device doesn't work. It didn't work back in the early 2000s, when MS was selling tiny numbers of Windows embedded (can't remember the name) licensed phones/tablets/PDAs, it doesn't work now.

Microsoft is the largest vendor for commercially sold operating system software meant for embedded system devices.

The market generates about US$1 billion in revenue, and Microsoft has a 40 to 45 percent share.

• Reply 45 of 52
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

The market generates about US$1 billion in revenue, and Microsoft has a 40 to 45 percent share.

$1 billion? That's all?

• Reply 46 of 52
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    An old boss of mine asked me what I thought of Windows Phone%u2019s chances about a year ago. I told him they missed the boat, had a huge uphill battle in a market with mindshare dominated by iOS and Android. Plus they have a very bad track record of sticking with any failing hardware product more than a few years past its failure, leading most people (devs and leading edge consumers) to take a wait and see attitude rather than be abandoned by MS yet again, like they did with all other mobile OSes and Zune. I predict that within 5 years this version of Windows Phone will be abandoned or rebranded into yet another %u201Cme too%u201D Microsoft product trying to leverage FUD as it becomes increasingly irrelevant to end users in both the home and in the enterprise.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Microsoft is the largest vendor for commercially sold operating system software meant for embedded system devices.

What's the story with versions of small footprint LINUX such as on the Raspberry Pi that are being released currently, is any of them an RTOS?

All the best.

• Reply 48 of 52
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Stick a fork in WP, spawn of Zune!

• Reply 49 of 52
    Maybe a funeral is in order LOL.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckchillout View Post

Maybe a funeral is in order LOL.

Windows Phuneral.

• Reply 51 of 52

The oddest part of this story is the reference to "Windows fans" as a core target market.  I'm not denigrating Windows or suggesting that there aren't versions of Windows that are quite likable (Windows 7 is very nice).  What I am saying is that, with all the changes to Windows over the years and, more importantly, the massive changes to the mobile OS together with the massive (until Windows 10) differences between the desktop OS and the mobile OS, there isn't any specific "thing" to be a fan of.  Which means that Microsoft thinks there are fans of the Windows BRAND.  Which I find very hard to believe.  For more thoughts, see: http://q10a1.blogspot.com/2015/07/windows-fans.html ;

• Reply 52 of 52
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    hentaiboy wrote: »

Windows Embedded (CE or something) is pretty much the only embedded OS that's sold commercially. Virtually everything that requires an embedded OS uses some form of Linux, which is completely free and outnumbers WinCE installations by several orders of magnitude. Virtually every router has embedded Linux for example. I doubt anyone would trust WinCE running a router. It'd have more holes than an Edam cheese. I also doubt they have 45% market share of all embedded OSs, commercial perhaps, but that's not really anything to be proud of.