Apple Stores begin selling third-party accessories with co-designed 'premium' packaging

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015
Apple Stores are already beginning to sell third-party accessories with packaging co-designed by Apple, giving the company even greater control over the presentation and marketing of products sold in its retail outlets.

Redesigned packages for several Mophie battery packs were spotted at an Apple Store in Japan by Macotakara this week. The boxes match the style used for Apple's own products, with large images and minimalist text against a stark white background. It's unknown how many other companies may have updated boxes on shelves.

On Monday, however, it was reported that Incase, LifeProof, Logi, Sena, Tech21, and others will ultimately be taking part in the initiative, and indeed Apple itself is expected to change some accessory packaging to adapt to the new "premium feel" motif.

Under retail head Angela Ahrendts and chief design officer Jony Ive, Apple has been working to revamp Apple Stores as more fashionable places, mostly with the goal of selling the Apple Watch.

The "premium" philosophy may also see some products disappear from shelves, as Apple is allegedly trying to limit accessories to higher-quality offerings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Somebody forgot to remove the sticker from the box. That is certainly not Apple like. :D
  • Reply 2 of 37
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Do I care about 'designer' packaging? Not at all. It's quickly ripped apart and discarded. Those who "oooh" and "ahhh" while they open a box are just being silly.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    bosguybosguy Posts: 1member
    Well Powerstation Plus, which is it? 2X or 3X?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    greg uvangreg uvan Posts: 86member
    I never "rip" into any boxed apple product. And I keep all the original boxes. Reason being is not just because I'm a pack-rat, but because I often resell my old apple products when I no longer have need of them. I put them back into the original box they came in. Buying a used apple product and getting it in the original box is a much better experience than just getting a bunch of parts in a plastic bag.

Also, when moving between apartments, I pack my computers, routers, displays, etc back into their original packaging. They were designed to be moved safely in those boxes.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Do I care about 'designer' packaging? Not at all. It's quickly ripped apart and discarded. Those who "oooh" and "ahhh" while they open a box are just being silly.

You may rip them apart at home, but it's the In Store Display that matters and can help sell the product.  What you do once you leave the store is up to you.

• Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:

Silly moves product. If silly gets 40% margins then I am all about that!

• Reply 7 of 37
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    So a white package as opposed to a black package is now a more "premium" look?
  • Reply 8 of 37
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

"Virginal" comes to mind  :)

• Reply 9 of 37
    sirlance99 wrote: »

Who said the packages were black before? And it's AI using the term "premium". Seems to me this is just about a consistent look and feel for accessories sold in Apple stores. And perhaps there are environmental requirements as well.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Who said the packages were black before? And it's AI using the term "premium". Seems to me this is just about a consistent look and feel for accessories sold in Apple stores. And perhaps there are environmental requirements as well.

That's fair about the look and feel and possibly the environment crap. Although, if you look at pretty much any store and go and buy a mophie pack, they are all in black packaging.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Well it's not really what you care about, is it? It's about how Apple wants products displayed in their stores. Most high end boutiques do not stock products for display. They have one out and the stock is tucked away somewhere out of sight. Having control over how the packaging is designed is one way of being able to stock products for display without ruining the esthetic of your shop.

• Reply 12 of 37
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

At some point having everything in the store look so similar will make it a sterile and uninteresting environment. I'll pass.

• Reply 13 of 37
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

At some point having everything in the store look so similar will make it a sterile and uninteresting environment. I'll pass.

The point is having control over how it looks, which has nothing to with making it all look the same.

• Reply 14 of 37
    trumptman wrote: »

Sure every Apple product looks exactly the same. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Consistent packaging can also mean that you see the individuality of the images without frippery.

Also, where will you "pass" to?

• Reply 16 of 37
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't have any problems with Apple doing this. It's their store, and they are free to decide how their shelves will look and what's on those shelves. However, I feel that this sort of Apple like packaging kind of implies that the third party products and accessories being sold are being endorsed by Apple and that they have Apple's stamp of approval. I guess that as long as there is no junk or bad products being sold, then I suppose that it's ok.

• Reply 17 of 37
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    I only buy Apple products for the packaging.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    It kind of shows that being the CEO of a retailer that only sells its own product (Burberry) doesn't make you an expert on branding or selling. All this does is dilute the third-party product branding. Mophie has lovely branding, as does BlueLounge, Belkin... everyone in Apple's stores, actually. Homogeneity in packaging will only hide the products in a wall of uniformity. It won't help sell anything.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    tomhqtomhq Posts: 22member
    Has anyone seen these in store? From the pic I don't get the "premium" part at all. If this is something AI came up please stop.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So now you know how to run multi-billion dollar retail operations?  

tell me what stores do you run?  Rick's bait shop?  Please.

Take a breath.  I agree with him. This seems a bit much asking 3rd parties to package their products to apples specs, really? What differentiates their product from any other product? These companies are not branding themselves to be Apple.