Apple's public betas of iOS 9, OS X El Capitan are now available [u]

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2015
Apple on Thursday launched the first public betas of OS X El Capitan and iOS 9, giving the public an early glance at the operating systems before they officially debut this fall.

The company warns that because the platforms are in beta, some apps may not work properly. Before installing, users are strongly urged to make backups of their data in case problems arise with either apps or the operating systems themselves.

The betas are available through the company's Beta Software Program website for registered participants.

The new code should be based on third developer betas which were released on Wednesday alongside a new seed of watchOS 2. The El Capitan build contained known issues with two-factor authentication, restoring Time Machine backups for Mail, and importing iPhoto and Aperture libraries into Photos, among other bugs.

Before installing the new software, see AppleInsider's ongoing, in-depth Inside iOS 9 series.

Read more about iOS 9: Read more about iOS 9's iPad changes: Read more about OS X El Capitan:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    JFYI ... There are betas of Carbon Copy Cloner and Little Snitch that work in 10.10.11 beta and Disk Warrior 5 works fine.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If you don't have a machine that isn't in the path of work need, I strongly advise people to hold up on this. Being the first kid on the block with the new OS isn't going to be great if you can't get things going because a bug prevents what you need from working.

The iOS public beta is out too. That I'll put on an iPad, as I have a couple I can use. Frankly, I'm more excited by that for my iPad Air 2.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    melgross wrote: »
    If you don't have a machine that isn't in the path of work need, I strongly advise people to hold up on this. Being the first kid on the block with the new OS isn't going to be great if you can't get things going because a bug prevents what you need from working.

Prepare for the inevitable raft of "my computer has been bricked" comments from people who are not paying attention.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Prepare for the inevitable raft of "my computer has been bricked" comments from people who are not paying attention.

Beta's are pretty exciting, and Apple wouldn't release a public beta is it was really screwed, as early betas always are. Still, it is a beta, and with the gotchas Apple did announce, it's fairly risky. And what about those they haven't yet found?

I've done a lot of beta testing for Adobe and others over the years, and it can be pretty dreary and frustrating until late in the process.

But I am backing my iPad Air 2 to my Mac now, in prep for the iOS beta, which is much more interesting and exciting. I do have another iPad—just in case. But the full backup will allow a downgrade should that be required.

I'm not sure how Time Machine would handle a downgrade on a Mac for a beta though, as I've never done it.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Beta's are pretty exciting, and Apple wouldn't release a public beta is it was really screwed, as early betas always are. Still, it is a beta, and with the gotchas Apple did announce, it's fairly risky. And what about those they haven't yet found?

The big problem for the average person is the apps they use.  There are plenty that don't work properly with the developer beta of El Capitan, and that likely won't be any different with the public betas.  So people need to understand that they shouldn't install the beta on a machine where they need to do day-to-day work.

• Reply 6 of 47
    Ok, my Mac backup of my iPad is done. I'm going to see whether the iOS beta is available. Hope to be back later.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    JFYI ... There are betas of Carbon Copy Cloner and Little Snitch that work in 10.10.11 beta and Disk Warrior 5 works fine.

That is a very informative post! I'm sure many will thank you for this.

I do have another iPad—just in case. But the full backup will allow a downgrade should that be required.

Won't that be useless if Apple doesn't sign the OS anymore? That happened to the watch, right?
  • Reply 8 of 47

It's installing, and restarting now.

It feels odd. Almost all of my posting is done on my iPad. This is the first time in a long while that I'm doing it on my Mac Pro.

• Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That is a very informative post! I'm sure many will thank you for this.

Won't that be useless if Apple doesn't sign the OS anymore? That happened to the watch, right?

Yeah. But I don't think they'll do that, as this is a beta. 8.4 was a release. Don't remember what they did with the watch.

• Reply 10 of 47

It's installing slooowly.

• Reply 11 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

Yeah. But I don't think they'll do that, as this is a beta. 8.4 was a release. Don't remember what they did with the watch.
    The Apple Watch update causing some consternation is also a beta.

"When Apple released the first beta of watchOS 2.0 last month following WWDC, users were surprised to learn that there was no way to downgrade from the beta build to the more stable Watch OS 1.0.1. Users tried a variety of different methods, but were ultimately left with one option: send their Watch into Apple and allow them to do the restore. With today’s launch of watchOS 2.0 beta 3, Apple has officially confirmed that there is no way to downgrade to an earlier version of watchOS without sending your device into Apple."

(9to5mac)
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"When Apple released the first beta of watchOS 2.0 last month following WWDC, users were surprised to learn that there was no way to downgrade from the beta build to the more stable Watch OS 1.0.1. Users tried a variety of different methods, but were ultimately left with one option: send their Watch into Apple and allow them to do the restore. With today’s launch of watchOS 2.0 beta 3, Apple has officially confirmed that there is no way to downgrade to an earlier version of watchOS without sending your device into Apple."

(9to5mac)

Ok, whatever. But on their site, they said you could downgrade these. Do a "restore" with your backup.

• Reply 13 of 47

it's done. After fooling around with it for a bit, I'll try posting again with it.

• Reply 14 of 47
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

(9to5mac)

But that was for a developer beta.  This is a public beta with a much wider (and less technical) audience.  I'm fairly certain that they'll allow you to downgrade.

• Reply 15 of 47
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That said, if you do have a backup Mac, don't hesitate to try 10.11. I've found it pretty stable...not bug free, but stable.

• Reply 16 of 47
    ktappe wrote: »
    That said, if you do have a backup Mac, don't hesitate to try 10.11. I've found it pretty stable...not bug free, but stable.

Ok, I'm back on my iPad. Boy, the keyboard does seem odd. Lower case characters as normal does seem just so strange. I never had a problem with the caps key, and could never understand why people did. But this seems to work well.

I agree, if you have an additional machine, you should try this, as long as you don't care if things get a bit bolloxed up.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Do you still have to be enrolled in the OS X beta to get the iOS beta?
  • Reply 18 of 47
    I've got the dual app mode on now, with Mail taking up a third of the screen. This is the mode where both apps are "live" at once, rather than one app being live at a time. Works well, but Safari is shrunken, as expected to two thirds of the screen. Fortunately, with the high Rez screen, it's still perfectly readable, though some may need reading glasses.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Apple's beta website is getting absolutely hammered. Can't even open the page. 

• Reply 20 of 47
    Do you still have to be enrolled in the OS X beta to get the iOS beta?

It's a separate enrollment.