Mac sales up 16.1% in June quarter as overall PC market continues slump

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2015
Continuing to buck trends, Mac sales rose 16.1 percent year-over-year in the June quarter even as the PC industry as a whole shrank 11.8 percent, according to new estimates published on Thursday by research firm IDC.

Source: IDC

Apple is believed to have sold just under 5.14 million computers, putting it in fourth place under leaders Lenovo, HP, and Dell. Those companies sold 13.44 million, 12.25 million, and 9.56 million units respectively. Below Apple were Acer and ASUS, both roughly at 4.33 million, with a slight edge given to Acer.

In all, IDC estimates that some 66.14 million computers were shipped during the quarter, with Apple being the lone top-five vendor to post positive numbers.

Apple is said to have dodged the price competition affecting other PC vendors, and benefitted from factors like the launch of the 12-inch Retina MacBook and a concentration of U.S. shipments. The company may also be riding on uncertainty around the launch of Windows 10, IDC remarked.

Concentrating on the U.S., Apple reportedly ranked third with just under 2.21 million units sold, beaten by HP and Dell but surpassing the likes of Lenovo and Toshiba.

Source: IDC

Providing an alternate view, Gartner released its own research data, indicating that worldwide PC shipments fell 9.5 percent to 68.4 million units. The sharp drop is credited in large part to Microsoft, given last year's discontinuation of Windows XP spurring system sales, and computer makers holding inventory this year until Windows 10 becomes available. The OS is due to ship later this month.

Apple is not broken out as a specific vendor in Gartner's global figures, but they would still keep Lenovo, HP, and Dell in their leadership positions. ASUS however is ranked slightly higher than Acer with 4.65 million units versus 4.56 million.

Source: Gartner

On the American front Gartner is estimating only 1.92 million Macs sold, a dip of 2.5 percent year-over-year. The number puts Apple below Lenovo's 2 million, as well as HP and Dell.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    But I thought the MacBook was a crappy computer worse than a 2011 MBA? :D
  • Reply 2 of 46
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

OMG, will M$ decide to give up supporting Windows on PC Laptops ?   :\

• Reply 3 of 46
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Ah, but who cares. We have an imbecilic Slice graph and some stupid China meme ("OMG, the sky is falling in Shenzen, and Apple's China revenues Are headed to zero") that are feeding a selling frenzy on the stock.

I know where my spare cash is going tomorrow morning.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    66 million computers in 3 months... that's a lot of computers. I can see why Apple is broadening its horizons... there's only so much growth potential in any given market, especially as technology continues to advance and mature. I would argue that it's already far beyond what the majority of consumers could use.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Macs ride out every storm. Been this way for over a decade. 

• Reply 6 of 46
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Surprised IDC didn't spin this as a negative for Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    On the American front Gartner is estimating only 1.92 million Macs sold, a dip of 2.5 percent year-over-year.

Why does Gartner need to estimate Apple sales?

Apple will actually tell us the number in a couple weeks. :)
  • Reply 8 of 46
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

If they showed the quantities for only personal use computers, based on my observations of what people buy,

it would show Macs at a top level.

Industry total volume figures include computers used in industry, which we know is Windows dominated because of IT people not wanting to risk their jobs being different.   I know many IT workers who quietly personally use Apple's iDevices and Macs.

• Reply 9 of 46
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

The same reason pundits all over the place attempt to estimate iPhone sales before Apple tells us: they view it as their job to predict stuff even though we'll know in short order.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Because $$$.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    jungmark wrote: »

Did you see IDC's charts?

Worldwide... Apple is the only manufacturer to have growth in Q2. Everyone else dropped.

And in the US... only Apple and Lenovo showed growth in Q2.

So According to IDC... Apple did very well in Q2. I don't think IDC could spin that negative even if they wanted to.

There seems to be a discrepancy of about 280,000 units between IDC and Gartner for US sales. I'm curious to see what Apple's actual numbers are.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    thompr wrote: »
    The same reason pundits all over the place attempt to estimate iPhone sales before Apple tells us: they view it as their job to predict stuff even though we'll know in short order.
    Because $$$.

Who would pay for this "research" when they know it's based on guessing and/or completely wrong sometimes?
  • Reply 13 of 46
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
  • Reply 14 of 46
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    [QUOTE name="revenant" url="/t/187143/mac-sales-up-16-1-in-june-quarter-as-overall-pc-market-continues-slump#post_2746281"]
    Someone is wrong. Hope this is not right

[URL=http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/09/apple-us-mac-sales-drop-2q15/]http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/09/apple-us-mac-sales-drop-2q15/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Come on, you know tech sites and CNBC will jump all over the Gartner report because it shows something negative about Apple. The IDC report will be disregarded because it shows something positive about Apple. Just watch.

EDIT 2015.07.10
    CNBC proved me wrong this morning! http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/10/pc-shipments-plunge-apple-surges-on-macbook.html?__source=yahoo%7cfinance%7cheadline%7cheadline%7cstory&par=yahoo&doc=102824187
  • Reply 15 of 46
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member
    Wrong colors used. LOL
  • Reply 16 of 46
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member

Who would pay for this "research" when they know it's based on guessing and/or completely wrong sometimes?
    Same people who buy the racing form at the track, or listen to their stockbroker's tips.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Come on, you know tech sites and CNBC will jump all over the Gartner report because it shows something negative about Apple. The IDC report will be disregarded because it shows something positive about Apple. Just watch.

I noticed MacRumors hasn't changed their headline either even though they did add IDC data to their story. Negativity generates page views. Look no further than their front page story on Apple Watch data from Slice.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Did you see IDC's charts?

Worldwide... Apple is the only manufacturer to have growth in Q2. Everyone else dropped.

And in the US... only Apple and Lenovo showed growth in Q2.

So According to IDC... Apple did very well in Q2. I don't think IDC could spin that negative even if they wanted to.

There seems to be a discrepancy of about 280,000 units between IDC and Gartner for US sales. I'm curious to see what Apple's actual numbers are.

Somehow they will magically find a shit ton of "others" just to lower Apple's market share.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    revenant wrote: »

Those are the Gartner numbers shown here. It's nothing different.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    These companies always estimate. It's not just Apple's numbers they estimate, but every company that hasn't yet given out a quarterly report for the period. I do wish they would wait a couple of weeks more. Sigh, nothing new about that. What I always try to see is if they change the charts after the real numbers do come out.

But numbers given by some companies are shipping numbers anyway, and so aren't comparable.

This is a much bigger discrepancy than usual between these two. I wonder why.