Driven again by China, Apple's iPhone shipments expected to hit 51M for June quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    serendip wrote: »

Agreed, after 3 days of constant barrage from the "China has collapsed" news I actually looked at the chart.  The Shanghai market is now back, after the collapse, to where it was in mid March.  Same thing for Shenzhen.
    The Chinese goverment took some pretty severe steps yesterday to stem the slide. They seemed to have helped at least in the short term with the index up 6% today. To do this tho:

-More than 1,400 companies — representing a majority of all companies traded on the mainland's two major exchanges — have halted trading in an effort to stop the previous days' slide.

-On Wednesday, Chinese officials banned companies major shareholders from selling shares for six months, which might have contributed to Thursday's rally.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

says the guy that knows nothing about China's economy.

The PE ratio for Chinese stocks is at 15.  Which is not inflated at all.  Do you seriously think the world will stop buying things from China?

And what about Greece.  Greece GDP is $200 billion.  The EU is 18 TRILLION.  Greece is about 1% of the EU's GDP.  You seriously think they will tank the entire EU?

This Greece/China stuff is just bullshit from the media feed by Wall STreet manipulators

But one thing to remember: if Greece don't pay the hundred of $bil loan/bailout, Spain and Portugal can do the same since they were bailed out too and have been making loan repayments.  Now, they have reasons not to pay. So, you do the math if those countries will take the Greece's rout.

• Reply 23 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    AAPL down almost 5% this past week. Well the rest of the market rebounded after selling off yesterday AAPL is down almost 2%. Maybe some of that is Watch FUD but my guess is most of it is China worries.

The stock is almost at a 5 month low right now and some of these moron analysts are predicting a floor of $113-115 for now. I think this confluence of China, Greece and "uncertainty" regarding watch sales has given them ample opportunity to troll the stock into a free fall (it just broke below $120 as I was writing this). Outrageous.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

even you are not willing to hold 5 years or more you should not invest in stocks

Would you buy more AAPL since it's so cheap now?

• Reply 25 of 41
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Would you buy more AAPL since it's so cheap now?

You should never base your buying (or selling) decisions on someone else's advice. Do your own homework and fail or succeed based on your own strategies.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The stock is almost at a 5 month low right now and some of these moron analysts are predicting a floor of $113-115 for now. I think this confluence of China, Greece and "uncertainty" regarding watch sales has given them ample opportunity to troll the stock into a free fall (it just broke below $120 as I was writing this). Outrageous.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see $115 before we see $130 again. And a good quarter won't matter. Last quarter Apple beat on every number except iPads (which wasn't surprising to anyone) and yet the stock dropped 2% the next day.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    I wouldn't be surprised if we see $115 before we see $130 again. And a good quarter won't matter. Last quarter Apple beat on every number except iPads (which wasn't surprising to anyone) and yet the stock dropped 2% the next day.

I'm expecting $115 at this point also.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

even you are not willing to hold 5 years or more you should not invest in stocks

I have held my AAPL since about 2002.

• Reply 29 of 41
    I'm expecting $115 at this point also.

I think it's nonsense but what can you do? The media jumped on this bogus Watch FUD because they want this product to be a failure so badly. Rather than questioning the integrity or usefulness of the data they just ran with it.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    I think it's nonsense but what can you do? The media jumped on this bogus Watch FUD because they want this product to be a failure so badly. Rather than questioning the integrity or usefulness of the data they just ran with it.

Yep. AAPL is still proving to be a soccer ball for the biggest traders. The buyback has had almost no effect on the stock price as AAPL is subject to manipulation now more than ever.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Yep. AAPL is still proving to be a soccer ball for the biggest traders. The buyback has had almost no effect on the stock price as AAPL is subject to manipulation now more than ever.

A CNBC analyst just said Apple is in a blackout period so isn't doing any buy backs right now.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    sog35 wrote: »
    Stock is up about about 100% the last 2 years.  Buyback is doing its job.

By the way the last 2 days Apple was not able to buyback any shares because of SEC rules about buybacks 2 weeks before earnings is released.  Seems like a bunch of Wall sheet ass holes saved their ammo to attack the stock during this quiet period when Apple can't buyback shares.

Good point.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    A CNBC analyst just said Apple is in a blackout period so isn't doing any buy backs right now.

Likewise, good point.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Apple could borrow money to buyback a huge chunk of the shares.  They hold $200B in cash so it should not be to hard to save their cash the next 5-10 years.  They are generating $50-$60 billion in cash a year.  In 5 years they would have $500 billion in the bank.

How would this decrease ownership? The remaining shares would trade for presumably higher amounts, and there is no way to force people to hold those for 5 years. In the case of institutions it may not be feasible at all if they have to rebalance their holding.

• Reply 35 of 41
    sog35 wrote: »
    Like I said I have no idea how they would do this.  But this is Apple so they can figure out a way.

If a company with a dying brand like Dell can figure out a way to go private so can Apple.  Once they go private they can force people not to sell shares.  In fact many public companies have 12 month stipulations that they can't sell their shares (Facebook, Alibaba)

Again it will be hard but this is Apple.  The math to do it is all there:

$60 billion free cash flow a year
    $200 billion in cash
    $700 billion market cap (yikes its $690 right now)

Financing will be hard.  But if a large percentage of shareholders are willing to be 'private shareholders' then it can be done.  What i mean is they still will own the shares but the company won't be 'public' and traded publicly.  

Dell went private because their company was flailing.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    I must say it is frustrating to see all this negativity around the Watch and Apple doing basically nothing to counter it. Now Fast Company has this long piece out about why the Watch is a flop and people are retweeting it calling the Watch Tim Cook's Newton. It's almost like all this FUD and D&G was intentionally planned to drop during Apple's quiet period before earnings. No doubt there is a concerted effort within the media to push this Apple Watch is s flop meme.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I must say it is frustrating to see all this negativity around the Watch and Apple doing basically nothing to counter it. Now Fast Company has this long piece out about why the Watch is a flop and people are retweeting it calling the Watch Tim Cook's Newton. It's almost like all this FUD and D&G was intentionally planned to drop during Apple's quiet period before earnings. No doubt there is a concerted effort within the media to push this Apple Watch is s flop meme.

I agree. The memo went out to the news and rumor sites: "Time to dump on Apple!"

• Reply 38 of 41
    bradipaobradipao Posts: 145member
    I must say it is frustrating to see all this negativity around the Watch and Apple doing basically nothing to counter it.

Just asking: why not releasing actual sell numbers every week? FUD would be impossible.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    bradipao wrote: »
    Just asking: why not releasing actual sell numbers every week? FUD would be impossible.

But what sales numbers would be good sales numbers? What is the comparison point? And when has Apple ever released weekly sales figures for any of their products?
  • Reply 40 of 41
    China is the last major, new market for Apple devices. Once that is satisfied, sales won't be what they have been. The only way for any device maker to have dramatic demand for their devices is significant new features - and not gimmickry, such as the display wrapping around the edge of the device. Touch ID was a substantial new feature on Apple devices, being a strategic component which allowed Apple Pay, but otherwise, devices aren't offering significant advances in the user experience. iPads have internally improved and gotten thinner, but the iOS interface and overall experience has changed little since the first generation. Apple has been a stick-in-the-mud in the iOS interface, where they could be making dramatic, ground-breaking advances in the interaction, way out-pacing their competition, but have instead done very little. The iOS experience is getting very stale, and this is a large factor in iPad sales dwindling: why choose an iPad or upgrade your current one if there's no compelling reason?