Apple announces OS X 10.11 El Capitan, focusing on experience & performance

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    It's a Snow Leopard style release. And so much the better.

I'm all for major under the hood improvements plus a few new conveniences.
    Absolutely agree. Yosemite is great, but it needs this release to make it brilliant.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuck9 View Post

What a waste. Nothing much new. OSX is just a bunch of bug fixes from 10.10.X iTunes Ping redone. Yeah that's going to work this time around. No new hardware to speak of. Nothing new to see here.

I agree absolutely. I'm so tired of Apple using WWDC to announce roadmaps and tools for so-called "developers".  I want the old days back, when WWDC focused entirely on the question "What's the kewl stuff that Yuck9 wants?" Oh, how Steve and Jony would scramble to create the next OS X release's "official Y9-approved" features! (The Sailor Moon screen savers of 2009 were particularly beautiful. Bravo!)

• Reply 43 of 55
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac'em X View Post

(The Sailor Moon screen savers of 2009 were particularly beautiful. Bravo!)

Screw that. Where's the Flying Toasters screensaver with the new translucent/ frost glass background?

• Reply 44 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Yuck9 View Post

So when someone speaks the truth

It’s not the truth; that should be BLINDINGLY obvious.

So tell us what's so new?

http://www.apple.com/osx/elcapitan-preview/

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios9-preview/

What new hardware was brought to the table ?

Who said anything about hardware, goalpost mover? Knock it off.

Originally Posted by ratsg View Post

If El Capitan/10.11 is another Snow Leopard, then my big concern is what are we going to loose when 10.12 comes around?

If we were going to lose anything, we would have lost it WITH 10.11.

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Wheres the Flying Toasters screensaver

They’re holding it ransom for $4.00. Mowing man’s there, too.

…with the new translucent/ frost glass background? 

That would cause burn-in. :p 

• Reply 45 of 55
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member

I hope WiFi Works in this release.

• Reply 46 of 55
    Sincerely hoping this is the new Snow Leopard as well. It was the first thought in my head when I read "experience and performance". They haven't solely focused on that since SL days, which to me is still the best overall OS Apple ever produced to date, although Lion and Mountain Lion aren't far behind. Mavericks was trashed off my systems within a day or upgrading. Haven't been brave enough to move to Yosemite yet, as I've too much pro software. However, I'd really like this to be third time lucky. Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by storretti View Post

About time there is a split screen mode. I've been waiting for that forever

I've used the free 'BetterTouch' for a while on a MBP with Yosemite, simple but works like a charm.

Have you had any problems with BetterTouch like the cursor anchored to a file or a window? I use BetterTouch and that happens periodically and the only way I can unanchored it is to restart.  I'm not positive that it's BetterTouch that causes it, but I can't think of anything else. I posted that question but AI members haven't responded as yet. 

• Reply 48 of 55
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

This has really been annoying me.

I would have sworn that Apple has previously used the El Capitan code name for a hardware product in the Power Mac range.

Am I imagining this? I haven't seen it referenced in the WWDC coverage.

• Reply 49 of 55
    ratsgratsg Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This has really been annoying me.

I would have sworn that Apple has previously used the El Capitan code name for a hardware product in the Power Mac range.

Am I imagining this? I haven't seen it referenced in the WWDC coverage.

I believe that you will find your answer here:

http://applemuseum.bott.org/sections/codenames.html

• Motherboard / Case Designs

• iMac: Columbus (I guess a similar motherboard will be used for the Apple Media Player)

• PowerMac G3: Gossamer

• PowerMac G3 Pro: Gossamer II, Yosemite

• PowerMac G3 Pro case: El Capitan (as in the ultimate climber's challenge in Yosemite National Park, it's a translucent blue tint)

• Reply 50 of 55
    jiminsdjiminsd Posts: 20member

• Yea, but will Mail finally work like it used to?  We still read about frequent problems with Mail communicating and syncing.

• Will Pages and other Apple software get commands and features back that used to be there in pre-Yosemite versions?

• Will AirDrop finally, always work?  I have had my iMac and MacBook Pro inches apart and AirDrop couldn’t connect.

• Will the Finder start remembering user preferences in List view rather than changing the Name column width at random?

• Will iTunes...you know...go back to being a useful program?  Can previous listing/view/search options come back?

• Will Safari ever become popular enough where developers and users write more extensions to increase the usability like Firefox?

Just a few quick thoughts and questions while I'm sipping morning coffee.  I'm sure others can add to my list.

Come on Apple, please listen to your dedicated customers!

• Reply 51 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by JimInSD View Post

We still read about frequent problems with Mail communicating and syncing.

From Gmail users. 

Will Pages and other Apple software get commands and features back that used to be there in pre-Yosemite versions?

This is why I don’t like web versions of applications. iWork is now artificially limited in functionality to what HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript can render.

Will AirDrop finally, always work?

Just as long as it can send a file to someone on the same network without them having to be in AirDrop at the time. That was an idiotic decision.

Will the Finder start remembering user preferences in List view rather than changing the Name column width at random?

I would love the ability to set a UNIVERSAL view option that would automatically apply to all Finder windows so that I don’t have to literally go through and resize/re-kern spacing on every single window.

Will iTunes...you know...go back to being a useful program?  Can previous listing/view/search options come back?

I want to resize my artwork again. I... don’t see why that’s so hard for Apple to understand. I have this nice, gorgeous, high-res artwork for everything. I WANT TO SEE IT.

Will Safari ever become popular enough where developers and users write more extensions to increase the usability like Firefox?

There are hundreds of Safari extensions; I’m not sure what you’re saying.

• Reply 52 of 55
    jiminsdjiminsd Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Will Safari ever become popular enough where developers and users write more extensions to increase the usability like Firefox?

There are hundreds of Safari extensions; I’m not sure what you’re saying.

Well lets take just some menus.

• I would like having a Go to top and Go to bottom of a page on the Context Menu.  FF has an extension for that.

• I would like to move the Close Tab to the top of the context menu because it is one of the most frequently used items for me.

• Why is Bookmark Page not on the Context Menu?

• I would like to arrange/edit/organize and menu anywhere to customize Safari for my personal liking.  FF has an extension called Menu Wizard which allows me to do that.

That's off the top of my head.  I have 43 extensions installed in Firefox and all play well together.  Firefox doesn’t bog down and is customized for my preferences.

• Reply 53 of 55
    saudawgsaudawg Posts: 4member
    After upgrading to OS X 10.11 El Capitan beta on my iMac the system font looks blurry to me. Is there any way to sharpen the display, or do I need new glasses? Anyone else notice this?

Late 2013 iMac
    27%u201D/3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7/32GB/1TB Fusion/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB
  • Reply 54 of 55
    saudawgsaudawg Posts: 4member

Just installed OS X 10.11 El Capitan beta on my iMac and it seems the system font and menus are blurry and not as sharp as the previous Yosemite font. Any way to sharpen the font? Or do I need new glasses?

Thanks 

Late 2013 iMac non Retina display

3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7/32GB/1TB Fusion/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB