Apple's new iPhones: Everything we know about the 'iPhone 6s' and '6s Plus'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2015
Apple is widely expected to launch two new iPhones this fall, typically referred to as the "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" -- but what do we know about them? AppleInsider gives you a rundown of what to anticipate from Apple's next-generation handsets.

Same display, but slightly thicker body for Force Touch

As a rule, reports seem to agree that the phones will maintain the same 4.7- and 5.5-inch screen sizes used for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. This would be consistent with Apple's previous "S" models, which have only been modest evolutions over their predecessors.

AppleInsider's own sources have indicated that the so-called "6s" is thought to be codenamed the N71, while the "6s Plus" is the N66.

The external design of the phones should remain virtually untouched, though they may switch to tougher 7000-series aluminum. A circulating schematic recently suggested that the 6s will be 0.2 millimeters thicker, but that amount is so miniscule that current cases should fit.

The extra girth has been linked to the addition of Force Touch to both phones. First introduced with the Apple Watch and the latest MacBooks, Force Touch enables pressure-sensitive touchscreen controls, such as opening a contextual menu or accelerated audio and video scrubbing. Those sorts of options should carry over to iPhones, but Apple could theoretically implement new ones unique to iOS.

New CPU and camera, same storage capacities

Most of the phones' changes are reportedly internal. The devices are predicted to upgrade to an A9 processor -- with as-yet-unknown specifications -- and 2 gigabytes of RAM, the latter representing the iPhone's first RAM upgrade in years. Moving beyond 1 gigabyte will improve performance and allow more app data to sit in memory, one reason many rival smartphones already have 2 or 3 gigabytes.

Storage options will likely remain stuck at 16, 64, and 128 gigabytes. Some other chips will change though, as Apple appears to be upgrading its NFC and cellular components. A new Qualcomm modem could double the ceiling of LTE speeds and simultaneously reduce power consumption.
Capacities are likely to main at 16, 64 and 128 gigabytes, but better cameras and a faster CPU are coming.
Another area of focus is believed be the phones' front and rear cameras. Rear modules should upgrade to a 12-megapixel Sony sensor with 4K video support and a technology called RGBW, designed to improve low-light shooting. Front cameras could jump from 1.2 megapixels to 5, dramatically improving the quality of selfies and video calls. As before, the 6s Plus will probably have the advantage of an optical image stabilizer.

New rose gold or pink color option

One cosmetic difference may be the addition of a "rose gold" color option, based on the Apple Watch Edition. Apple will presumably only simulate the color, since the Edition starts at $10,000, and an iPhone would need several times the amount of metal. One rumor suggested that to reinforce brand links, Apple will tweak the current gold color to match the shade used on yellow-gold Edition models.

Early production of the phones may already be underway at Apple manufacturing partners Foxconn and Pegatron, who have allegedly been tasked with building 85 to 90 million units to carry Apple through the holiday shopping season. No definite release date has been rumored, though if Apple follows its usual schedule, the phones should arrive in late September alongside iOS 9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Don't worry. The pundits will still paint a picture of "disappointment" in the new iPhones, while secretly wanting to see its features copied into their favorite Android-based clone.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I really don't get Force Touch. How does one know there is a hidden contextual menu that can be invoked?

• Reply 3 of 64
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    iPhone 5s for me it seems. No phablets. I'd go ahead and buy it now, but the prices will tank after 6s' announcement so I'll wait.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    128GB Space Gray 6S Plus on day one for me.????????
  • Reply 5 of 64
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

5s "the prices will tank"

Yeah, for good reason as that hardware get's further and further from the current iOS... you'll definitely be getting what you pay for. a mismatched iOS on the verysame expensive service plan. Not to mention that unless you find a used one the storage offered will be minuscule.

• Reply 6 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

128GB Space Gray 6S Plus on day one for me.????????

Unless they fix that glitch where Photos doesn't bother transferring images taken in RAW over to the iOS device I may not have a use for a 128 this time around.

OR I'll figure out how to go back to Aperture which never had that issue.

• Reply 7 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Assuming it is thicker I'd expect the horrible protruding camera will be gone.

Wonder why they didn't just make the 6 bigger with a better battery?
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Assuming it is thicker I'd expect the horrible protruding camera will be gone.

Wonder why they didn't just make the 6 bigger with a better battery?

Because the tiny fraction of the market that has to have that much battery life can simply buy an external battery pack?

I haven't used my office charger since I received my 6 Plus. [and on an unrelated note my Watch lasts for two days between charges]

• Reply 9 of 64
    labratlabrat Posts: 1member
    0.2 millimeters deal breaker for me /s
  • Reply 10 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    sog35 wrote: »
    are you real life?  You should just buy a flip phone.

iPhone6 is not even close to a phablet.

Some bros just like the smaller phone size. I'm one. I've held the 6 a few times, but it really is quite a bit bigger. In a couple years when I upgrade my 5 I would seriously consider a 4" were they to offer one.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    which is fine.  But calling a 4.7 inch phone a phablet is a bit much.

Well, true.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

5s "the prices will tank"

Yeah, for good reason as that hardware get's further and further from the current iOS... you'll definitely be getting what you pay for. a mismatched iOS on the verysame expensive service plan. Not to mention that unless you find a used one the storage offered will be minuscule.

And I'm not sure they will 'tank' tank. I  could see 2 scenarios

1) the 5s goes to $49 and the 5c remains, and they release a new 6s and 6sPlus, and keep the 6 at the $99 price point, and drop the 6plus from the lineup completely

(2  4" solutions and 3 larger products seems the  max product line to avoid price confusion)

2) the 5s remains at $99 and the 6 and 6plus just disappear, with the 6s /6sPlus coming in at the same price.

(maintain 2 4" and 2 non-4" products and current pricing spread)

and a 3rd possibility as well

3) the 5s disappears totally 5c, 6, 6s, and 6sPlus (I don't see a 6plus being continued)

I don't see them abandoning the 5c (cheap manufacturing process, and retailers ability to loss lead with it).

The 5s is an expensive manufacturing footprint, and will be priced as such, or it will be removed to consolidate footprint and supply chain efficiencies.

• Reply 13 of 64
    buckkalubuckkalu Posts: 29member
    When I first got the 6plus switching from the 5, I was very afraid I had gone too big, now I am so used to it that I could still go bigger. My point is that you get used to it very quickly. Holding my wife's 5 feels like a toy.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    I actually like the proturding camera.  It helps me know right away the orientation of my phone without looking at it.  

And The home button doesn't do it for you?
  • Reply 15 of 64
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Some bros just like the smaller phone size. I'm one. I've held the 6 a few times, but it really is quite a bit bigger. In a couple years when I upgrade my 5 I would seriously consider a 4" were they to offer one.

and I think the iphone 7 family will be that 3 size shipment, with a iphone 6 feature set shoved into a 4" 5c (7c) plastic body, a 6s, and a 7 and 7plus. 

• Reply 16 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Because the tiny fraction of the market that has to have that much battery life can simply buy an external battery pack?

I haven't used my office charger since I received my 6 Plus. [and on an unrelated note my Watch lasts for two days between charges]
    Why rely on a bulky external battery, hardly an elegant solution is it?

Whilst on holiday I like to take lots of pictures and use apps such as Google translate.

An external battery is one more thing to have to lug around.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    nonimusnonimus Posts: 60member

At what point will Apple stop offering 16GB and upgrade to 32GBs?

Besides being more profitable for them, from the looks of this --

http://www.dramexchange.com/

• Reply 18 of 64
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    That's funny. I I the same thing. In dark rooms or the middle of the night I tend to feel the back rather than the front for the home button. Great minds think a like I guess
  • Reply 19 of 64
     and I think the iphone 7 family will be that 3 size shipment, with a iphone 6 feature set shoved into a 4" 5c (7c) plastic body, a 6s, and a 7 and 7plus. 

No way I'd buy a plastc phone tho. if a plastic case is the only option at 4" then I'll have to jump on the 4.7" version. addicted to that metal feel!
  • Reply 20 of 64
    With force touch the new iPhones will start screaming and hollering when you stress the frame too much when sitting....