Apple's new iPhones: Everything we know about the 'iPhone 6s' and '6s Plus'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    cornchip wrote: »
    Some bros just like the smaller phone size. I'm one. I've held the 6 a few times, but it really is quite a bit bigger. In a couple years when I upgrade my 5 I would seriously consider a 4" were they to offer one.

Is not that bad. I was skeptical when I first got my 6, but I got use to it fast and I am glad I got the 6 and not stuck with the 5s
  • Reply 22 of 64
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member
    Why keep the 16GB?
  • Reply 23 of 64
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
     and I think the iphone 7 family will be that 3 size shipment, with a iphone 6 feature set shoved into a 4" 5c (7c) plastic body, a 6s, and a 7 and 7plus. 

I don't see how all the these tech can fit in a 4" phone
  • Reply 24 of 64
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    ???? Some people are so totalitarian. Get over yourselves.

I do not want a larger phone, therefore I will buy a 5s. I'm good…
  • Reply 25 of 64
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    mstone wrote: »
    I really don't get Force Touch. How does one know there is a hidden contextual menu that can be invoked?

Here's my take in how ForceTouch will (greatly) enhance the user experience besides long-touch context menus and pressure sensitivity in artistic programs:

First, palm detection. Have you ever accidentally hit a button while reaching for a top corner? Happens to me a more often than it should...

Second, multi-finger typing resting your fingers on the screen.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 wrote: »
    are you real life?  You should just buy a flip phone.
    The man has a point, not everyone wants a phablet in his pocket. Some of us suffer from pants that are fairly full already!  ????????

Beyond that a flip phone wouldn't be a bad idea at all if Apple could manage a folding screen that lasts long enough.

iPhone6 is not even close to a phablet.
    It is the definition of a phablet. It is excessively large to be a phone for everybody and frankly the desire to carry these large devices around is a fad.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    it will happen when they can double all levels.
    They could have easily done that last year. To go another year is just abusive of the know legible customer base. Seriously all one has to do is look at what raw flash is going for wholesale and realize how badly Apple is raping customers here.
    We won't see 32/64/128 because you are giving the 64/128 buyers a raw deal.  You would be giving them less incremental memory per dollar then the 6 cycle.
    Right now everybody gets a raw deal. Is that good for business? Right now you can buy SSD with 256 GB of flash for $111 - retail Obviously the cost of flash wholesale is a bit cheaper and with Apples machines the cost to them is even lower as Apple builds the controller/interface into the SoC. So the delta between the top and bottom of the iPhone lineup is $200, in Apples case they are most likely making well over $150 on that upgrade.

I don't want to suggest that Apple shouldn't make a profit just that the cost of flash has dived over theist few years. frankly the iPhone hasn't kept up with the improved cost structure of flash.
    I can see 32/128/256 - but not until at least iPhone7 in 2016
    Why put it off? It is pretty obvious that 256 GB of flash doesn't cost Apple much at all or for that matter anybody in the storage industry. This especially in the context of the iPhone which isn't implementing high performance storage systems. The cost of the materials just isn't a problem today.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    why not?

I'm being serious.  Why not?  Literally TENS of MILLIONS of people only need 16GB and love it.

The 16GB phone is already the best bang for the buck.  It has the lowest profit margin of all the iPhones.  So why would you want to make the lowest memory tier even CHEAPER????

Apple can barely keep up with demand the first 4-6 months of release.  After 6 months you can get iPhones at $50-$100 discounts.  So if you really really really need a 32GB iPhone for $650 all you need to do is wait 6 months when the demand goes down.  If you can't wait than STFU and pay up.

Tim Cook: We can't keep up with iPhone demand!  What should we do.

Smarty pants: We should give more free GB of memory.  That should do it.
    Perhaps Apple should go back to the 8gb, after all I'm sure millions of customers would be satisfied with that amount.

Look, the 8gb was too small and the 16gb is too. The only reason Apple kept iPhone at 16gb was to get people to buy the 64gb as they make more profit that way.

From a user perceptive it's a nasty tactic, but from a business point of view I applaud Apple. They found a great way to increase profit margins on a device that already has the highest margin (by a lot) in the entire industry.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by idrey View Post

Well, that's a challenge for Apple then. That said, IMO it would fit, if it did not need to be the thinnest lightest ever!

I'm  in the camp that prefers a smaller screen size phone also. 

• Reply 30 of 64
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    I wonder if Apple will ever make a 4" mainstream flagship phone again.

Samsung's mainstream flagship is 5.1"... LG's is 5.5"... HTC's is 5.0"

4" seems to be going the way of the dodo :)
  • Reply 31 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckkalu View Post

When I first got the 6plus switching from the 5, I was very afraid I had gone too big, now I am so used to it that I could still go bigger. My point is that you get used to it very quickly. Holding my wife's 5 feels like a toy.

Same here. Never go back.

• Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Perhaps Apple should go back to the 8gb, after all I'm sure millions of customers would be satisfied with that amount.

Look, the 8gb was too small and the 16gb is too. The only reason Apple kept iPhone at 16gb was to get people to buy the 64gb as they make more profit that way.

From a user perceptive it's a nasty tactic, but from a business point of view I applaud Apple. They found a great way to increase profit margins on a device that already has the highest margin (by a lot) in the entire industry.

I read the article somewhere lately on a study and 16GB iPhone took 60% of iPhone sale. Tell me that Apple will drop it.

• Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Why do you assume everyone needs more than 16GB? Thats a false assumption. And making the mid/top tier offerings more attractive is the name of the game. That's not being NASTY. What do you expect? Do you expect a top of the line BMW to have less features than the bottom tier BMW?

I agreed. I never need more than 16GB for every iPhone I bought so far except 6S. It's because 64GB for $100 from 16GB made me feel it's a good deal even though I didn't need it. I got around 100 apps, 3-4GB of music, pictures and video clips, but still got aound 2-3GB left on my 16GB iPhone 5. I don't store entire music library in my phone or load whole bunch of high graphic games in it either. I optimized pictures size locally and store full size on iCloud. 16GB would meet most people's requirement with some storage managements (remove crappy pix, video, store enough music to listen for a few hours or stream it, don't install many high graphic games and do delete old messages, emails sometimes...)

• Reply 34 of 64
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by idrey View Post

The 5c is thicker than the 6, and without the screen demands, the battery demands are smaller. 

I'll bet you dollars for donuts that the 'tech' (chipset) in the current 5c is not smaller than in the 6.

• Reply 35 of 64
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I wonder if Apple will ever make a 4" mainstream flagship phone again.

Samsung's mainstream flagship is 5.1"... LG's is 5.5"... HTC's is 5.0"

4" seems to be going the way of the dodo image

And with the watch, the smaller form factor need is even smaller for those who need to be 'cutting edge'

as the flag ship... doubtful, but my guess is they will likely release a new 4" 6c or 7c (color, cheap) with  'last years' chipset.

• Reply 36 of 64
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    It's actually tempting - 6S that is.

I'm excited about all of the new upgrades. As it is, I love my 6 .

I just hope the baseline would be 32GB instead of 16GB.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member

When i held the 6+ for the first time, I thought I made a mistake.  It was just too big.  

However, after about 9 months of it, it really seems ok.  Now, when i hold my wife's 6, it seems rather small.  I will stick with 5.5 iPhones.

For those who likes smaller phones, it won't seem that big when you use the 6 (4.7inches) for few months.

• Reply 38 of 64
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Apple is never going to release a new 4" phone, ever again. I'm sure Apple has asked the following questions when trying to figure out the target customer, and the logic is utterly obvious. Really, not rocket science:

• What percentage of people actually prefer a phone smaller than the iPhone 6?

• Of these people, what percentage would choose NOT to buy an iPhone because their size preference does not exist?

• What alternative products would these people actually buy? There literally are no high quality 4" phones out there from any other OEM. And EVEN if one existed, would someone dump every other iPhone advantage just to get some other random phone at a smaller size?

• How many customers is Apple actually LOSING by not offering a 4" phone?

• Is this near negligible cross section of potential customers worth the extra development time/costs, marketing cost, store shelf space, testing resources, SKU increases, manufacturing complexity, PR education, developer overhead (extra screen sizes/resolutions)? 

I don't see how any reasonable person can believe it makes any sense whatsoever for Apple to release a new, smaller phone. It does not expand their reach in the least. Quite the opposite- if anything, it would downsell to a few people who would'e gotten a more expensive iPhone instead. 

• Reply 39 of 64
    joustjoust Posts: 1member
    Wouldn't it be funny if Apple teamed with the release of Star Wars VII for iPhone 6s (or make it an iPhone VII)? Can't you see the banner ad Apple will release, "May the force be with you." ????
  • Reply 40 of 64
    5150iii5150iii Posts: 96member
    Really looking forward to a 6S 64gb at launch. I currently have a 4S 16gb.