Apple chooses unexpected location for massive new Hong Kong retail store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member

10 minutes is not the issue here, it's that Apple usually demands to be where the action is, like the Manhattan store in NY.

This location does seem odd. It might've been chosen because of the possibility of congestion during the release of a new product? Long lines may hamper daily traffic and that may be an issue for the Chinese authorities?

• Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anzyme View Post

I don't think that's an "unexpected location" at all. It's just opposite to flagship stores of D&G, Coach, Armani, etc. What do u think?

Agreed. This isn't an unexpected location at all. There are already other Apple store along the transit grid. So not being close to MTR (the subway) is not an issue.

The important fact is this location is right along the stretch of Canton Road where all the famous big-name flagship stores are. This location targets the richer demographic. Those that likely arrive by car (parking or valet available at harbour centre) or by tour bus (tourists from China).  

It makes total sense for Apple to create an Asia Flagship right there.

• Reply 23 of 41
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member

I am really learning a lot about weather on this blog! I was just about to to go The Weather Channel site to learn about this, but I guess I no longer need to.

Back to topic - It is quite amazing to see how Apple retail store push continues to be a great part of Apple success. I had visited the IFC store at Hong Kong and Shanghai and it is just amazing. Apple store are becoming more so of a tourist destination these days.

• Reply 24 of 41
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Have we become so lazy that a 10 minute walk is considered 'out of the way'?

That a big bus passing by, and it looks like there's a bus stop right in front. I don't think this store is out of the way by any stretch of the imagination.
    You don't seem to understand Hong Kong people. They would wait five minutes to take a minibus to go three blocks. And buses and bus stops are everywhere.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    auxio wrote: »

If the parents who need to illegally park footsteps from the door of the school near my place (blocking traffic), when they could legally park 1/2 block away (and not block traffic) is any indication, then yes.

I see the same thing at most shopping mall and grocery store entrances (illegal parking just so people don't have to walk).  Then these same people will spend ridiculous amounts of money on gym memberships and/or their entire life's savings on health care when they have heart disease or other illnesses related to lack of exercise.  Cause and effect is a concept lost on far too many people.
    Nobody spends a lifetime of savings on medical care in Hong Kong. We have universal health care, inexpensive insurance options, and even private care and a private nurse costs next to nothing compared to the U.S.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    krawall wrote: »
    Great! The IFC one was overcrowded anyway, the KLN Tong one too far away, I never visited the one in CWB though...

But this one for sure will keep the Mainlanders to Kowloon .... er... sorry.. It's a blessing. And no I'm not against mainlanders. It's just good they add variety to their locations and TST has become predominantly mandarin tourism territory anyway.

I gladly stick to the IFC one.
    Yes, the Tsim Sha Tsui store is primarily going to serve mainland tourists. This will mostly help to ease the crowds at IFC. There will not be much difference at Hysan Place in Causeway Bay. The mainland tourists will continue to pack that site.

To continue the trend, I expect Sha Tin to be the site of the fifth store.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    iobserve wrote: »
    If the parents who need to illegally park footsteps from the door of the school near my place (blocking traffic), when they could legally park 1/2 block away (and not block traffic) is any indication, then yes.

I see the same thing at most shopping mall and grocery store entrances (illegal parking just so people don't have to walk).  Then these same people will spend ridiculous amounts of money on gym memberships and/or their entire life's savings on health care when they have heart disease or other illnesses related to lack of exercise.  Cause and effect is a concept lost on far too many people.

To answer your question, what you observed is NOT an indication. I've lived in Asia and Europe and to all countries built around walking rather than driving (like anywhere in Asia) there is a much different relationship to walking than the North American loathing of physical exertion.
    Wrong. Hong Kong people are far lazier than Americans in any city. No local person can imagine having to walk five minutes from our various transportation points. Even middle class people will take a taxi to go a few blocks.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Massive store with 3 floors?

Samsung will be opening one soon with octo-floors and four times the number of windows. However there will not be enough tills to process the high volumes of customers so Samsung will employ door staff to throttle back the number of customers entering the building by closing 75% of the doors into the building. /s
  • Reply 29 of 41
    10 minutes is not the issue here, it's that Apple usually demands to be where the action is, like the Manhattan store in NY.

This location does seem odd. It might've been chosen because of the possibility of congestion during the release of a new product? Long lines may hamper daily traffic and that may be an issue for the Chinese authorities?
    Wrong. This is across the street from one end of the busiest shopping mall for tourists in all of Hong Kong. And Hong Kong (not Chinese until 2047) authorities don't give two fucks about pedestrian traffic. They may build a pedestrian overpass if there isn't already one there. That's all.
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »

Specific to Hong Kong, a 10-minute walk with the heat, humidity, and rain can be quite challenging. 10-Minutes is also about the distance between two stations.

In general terms though, a half-mile is about the comfortably walkable radius for most people.

But, looking at the map I wouldn't say it is that bad of a location. I haven't been over in that area in a decade, but it is hardly off the beaten path.
    This is fairly accurate, though half a mile seems far for some people.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tonton wrote: »

Nobody spends a lifetime of savings on medical care in Hong Kong. We have universal health care, inexpensive insurance options, and even private care and a private nurse costs next to nothing compared to the U.S.

I believe he/she was referring to the USA.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    tonton wrote: »

You'd be amazed at the lengths people will go to try and extend their lives when faced with terminal illness. I doubt any health care plan would cover flying people to the top clinics in the world to have cutting edge procedures done.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    And the children have to walk to school, and back home.

It's uphill both ways.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    It's not unexpected at all. It's been reported years ago, so long that I thought they've ditched the plan. And that spot is where most mainland Chinese tourists go, so many that there have been several demonstrations by local Hongkongers protesting against too many tourists from mainland China.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Massive store with 3 floors?

Samsung will be opening one soon with octo-floors and four times the number of windows. However there will not be enough tills to process the high volumes of customers so Samsung will employ door staff to throttle back the number of customers entering the building by closing 75% of the doors into the building. /s

The Samsung one will have windows in the floor so people can get a good view of hell, so they know what they'll get when they buy their phone.

• Reply 35 of 41
    "Apple chose a spot that is just about as out of the way as one can be in the crowded neighborhood"

The writer has to remember that if it's 35 in the day then it's gonna be 35 (or very close to it) at night. Temp hardly changes when the sun sets.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Again, this is right at the end of a huge shopping mall. You can get from Star Ferry to the site without walking outside for more than 5 minutes, walking all the way through the mall. There are also underground tunnels to get there from the MTR. And it's all fully air-conditioned. Heat is not a concern.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Actually having grown up in HK, everyone walks through the shopping centers. Since it's directly across from Harbour City, no one has to sweat. Harbour City is also home to piers for cruise ships, so this store will get lots of business without paying the high rent.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Is it any hotter, and more humid than it gets in NYC during the summer?

From what I understand you can afford it: go and have a look for yourself! It's a nice city to visit :)

• Reply 39 of 41
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

And the children have to walk to school, and back home.

It's uphill both ways.

School buses in out area stop at every house nowadays instead of having a "bus stop" for the houses in that area.  In the rain and cold, they stay inside until the bus has stopped and the doors opened.  Yup, I waited at a bus stop when it was -20F and survived.

• Reply 40 of 41
    It's almost entirely possible to get to the new store in air conditioned comfort from the subway station cutting outdoor time to less than five minutes.

Apple store visitors can drop into Harbour City (across the road) and exit the other side, so no big deal.

This is still prime real estate and a excellent place to anchor a flagship store on the northern end of a busy shopping thoroughfare.