Online Fraud

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2015

I have recently been defrauded on a credit card. Anyone aware of any remotely accessible key loggers currently under OS X or iOS? ApplePay can't come soon enough. (My bank is refunding the entire amount.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    There are no keyloggers for iOS unless you've jailbroken the device. It simply isn't possible.

For OS X, there are a couple, but chances are almost 100% that your credit card number was either generated at random or stolen from a compromised e-commerce database.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spheric View Post

There are no keyloggers for iOS unless you've jailbroken the device. It simply isn't possible.

For OS X, there are a couple, but chances are almost 100% that your credit card number was either generated at random or stolen from a compromised e-commerce database.

Thanks for your reply. I too suspect, without specific information, that a compromised e-commerce site was likely the problem. I made purchases at sites that I hadn't used previously just before the fraud began. (No jailbroken iOS devices here.)

All the best.

• Reply 3 of 4
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    spheric wrote: »

FWIW there have been flaws in iOS that could allow "keyloggers" to operate on non-jailbroken iPhones.
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/new-ios-flaw-makes-devices-susceptible-to-covert-keylogging-researchers-say/
    While Apple closes those security holes as they become aware of them I wouldn't go so far as to claim it's impossible to have one resident on your iDevice without being aware of it. Apple's OS security is top-notch but not completely bullet-proof.

With that said I absolutely agree that the OP's fraud almost certainly stems from his usage of the CC at a compromised site.