Rumor: Apple 'cautious' in placing orders for late 2015 launch of 12.9" 'iPad Pro'

Posted:
in iPad edited July 2015
Suppliers are expected to begin providing components for a so-called "iPad Pro" in late September, but Apple is said to be taking a conservative approach in placing orders for its anticipated 12.9-inch touchscreen tablet.

Retina iPad mini review

As it gears up for a late 2015 launch, Apple has been "rather cautious" with build orders for the jumbo-sized iPad, according to DigiTimes. Citing its supply chain sources, it said that initial shipment volume for the 12.9-inch tablet is "much lower" than most industry observers suspect.

It should be noted the publication does have a poor track record with respect to Apple rumors, specifically the timing of product launches. For example, in 2013 DigiTimes incorrectly reported that an iPad with larger display would debut in the second half of 2014.

However, there has been recent evidence to suggest the launch of a 12.9-inch iPad is imminent, including code in iOS 9 hinting at a 2,732-by-2,048-pixel display, with a pixel density of about 263 pixels per inch. The upcoming software update also includes a larger iPad keyboard with an extra row dedicated to traditional keyboard inputs like Tab and Caps Lock.

According to DigiTimes, the "iPad Pro" will be manufactured by Foxconn, and supply chain sources expect the device to become available after mid-November. However, it wouldn't be surprising to see a larger iPad launch slightly earlier than that timeframe, as Apple typically holds events in October to announce updates to its iPad lineup, with new models hitting store shelves by the first week in November.

Stylus
One of Apple's latest filings detailed an iPad stylus with extendable 'multitouch' nib, onboard light and motion sensors.

AppleInsider's own sources indicated back in May that Apple is indeed working on a larger iPad that will include an all-new Bluetooth stylus accessory with pressure sensitivity. The jumbo-sized iPad is also expected to include Force Touch input, NFC functionality, and a USB-C connection port.

Anticipation for the "iPad Pro" continues to grow as Apple has faced declining sales for its current iPad lineup. Observers have speculated that a larger iPad with a stylus input option could cater to professionals and enterprise users looking for a more full-featured, potentially laptop replacing computing experience on a highly portable touchscreen device.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook has signaled he is bullish about the prospects for the iPad over the long-term. Though he told investors in January that they shouldn't expect sales to turn around in the immediate future, he has also suggested his company could have a few tricks up its sleeve.

"I view it as a speed bump, not a huge issue," Cook said of continued declining iPad sales last October. "That said, we want to grow. We don't like negative numbers on these things."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Digi-Times huh....
  • Reply 2 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Forrester Research is out with a report today on tablets and where the market is headed. They do hold out hope for increased penetration in commerce/enterprise but not so much on the consumer side.
    http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/12/forrester-tablet-sales-have-plateaued-but-theres-a-future-in-business/?ncid=rss
  • Reply 3 of 29
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Apple should make a Mac tablet. Because iOS is a toy not fully compatible with the Mac. Not for heavy work, but the ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

• Reply 4 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I thought we all agreed DigiTimes wasn't worth the attention? Who forgot?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

DigiTimes > Another claim from Ming-Chi.

• Reply 6 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    appex wrote: »
    Apple should make a Mac tablet. Because iOS is a toy not fully compatible with the Mac. Not for heavy work, but the ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

The iPad can use both.

So Apple is allegedly cautious about a rumored unannounced product. Doomed™!
  • Reply 7 of 29
    john673john673 Posts: 40member

an Ipad pro would be nice! 

• Reply 8 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Your post makes no fucking sense whatsoever. A Mac in your pocket? So what exactly do you want, the OSX UI on a phone or tablet? Why? How will that be useable? Why not just get a MacBook or MacBook Air? You need a keyboard anyway. OSX is barely large enough to use on a 12" screen, why would you want an even smaller one? And what will you do on it? Keynote on iOS (the "toy") is now almost EXACTLY equivalent to its OSX counterpart. You have no clue what you're asking for or how ridiculous and unstable it would be.
  • Reply 9 of 29

IBM PC-DOS fans used to call the graphical Mac a toy. Nice try.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    slurpy wrote: »
    Your post makes no fucking sense whatsoever. A Mac in your pocket? So what exactly do you want, the OSX UI on a phone or tablet? Why? How will that be useable? Why not just get a MacBook or MacBook Air? You need a keyboard anyway. OSX is barely large enough to use on a 12" screen, why would you want an even smaller one? And what will you do on it? Keynote on iOS (the "toy") is now almost EXACTLY equivalent to its OSX counterpart. You have no clue what you're asking for or how ridiculous and unstable it would be.

For novelty purposes only.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    "I thought we all agreed that DigiTimes wasn't worth the attention."[B][/B]

To the [B]collective[/B] of naysayers in this thread:

DigiTimes is useful for understanding general trends. In this case, we're probably seeing the effects of an ongoing shortage of IGZO screens. We know from DigiTimes that LG and Samsung's expansion of IGZO capacity won't go online until end of 2015 and 2016. Supplies will be constrained because only Sharp and LG's last-generation fabs will be sourced, again something you can piece together from DigiTimes reports.

Their specific timing predictions are more subject to the currents of change. Supply-chain forecasting is like looking at a sea of iceberg tips.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Digi-Times articles are linked for "discussion purposes only." AI makes no claims about the quality of DT sourced rumors. They are not a "well-connected source with a strong track record."
  • Reply 13 of 29
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    this thing will sell if it's priced right. at $600-$700 it would be interesting. higher and I think not.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

People would better understand context here if they would actually read DigiTimes. There is a lot of value in the publication and decent separation of rumor from more credible content.

As for initial orders I could see Apple being very careful at this time. There is good reason behind many wanting a larger iPad but I don't think it is a universal desire on the part of all iPad users. One of iPads big pluses is its portability evefectively the same as a book, you don't get that in a 12-13" device.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Digi-Times articles are linked for "discussion purposes only." AI makes no claims about the quality of DT sourced rumors. They are not a "well-connected source with a strong track record."

They are effectively a newspaper with a range of articles some with more research than others. DigiTimes certainly isn't the publication of an Analyst. I really wonder if the people complaining about DigiTimes have ever taken the time to actually read the publication as it has far more value that the crap we see from many analysts around here.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

There's something already like that called: 12" Macbook, which is the Mac in your pocket. Why bother? Float and Fly won't give good user experience unless Tim Cooks is no longer at Apple, you won't see such device. BTW, if you ever look at music industry, you will see how powerful the iPad is, from processing to control digital mixers and effects. You really got no clue.

• Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

One of iPads big pluses is its portability evefectively the same as a book, you don't get that in a 12-13" device.

Is an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper portable? Because that's the effective screen size, and Apple has already proven that they can make a very lightweight product. Perhaps that will be the draw for the Pro…the "I can't believe how light this is" angle.

• Reply 18 of 29
    schlack wrote: »
    this thing will sell if it's priced right. at $600-$700 it would be interesting. higher and I think not.

That is an optimistic price though I have to admit the whole product line needs a price adjustment. If Apples goal is to focus on the professional market with this device I suspect that they will have problems because iOS 9 simply isn't a big enough step forward for professional use.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is an optimistic price though I have to admit the whole product line needs a price adjustment. If Apples goal is to focus on the professional market with this device I suspect that they will have problems because iOS 9 simply isn't a big enough step forward for professional use.

What is professional use? There's some thing called APP. Yup, good enterprise apps are needed to run well on iOS 9, not the iOS 9 itself.

• Reply 20 of 29
    Is an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper portable? Because that's the effective screen size, and Apple has already proven that they can make a very lightweight product. Perhaps that will be the draw for the Pro…the "I can't believe how light this is" angle.

The only context I have here is my iPad 3 and my 13" MBP. In that regard the iPad is far more portable than the Mac and usable in far more places. One can use the iPad easily in a car, the plant floor and a host of other places. Using something as large as a MBP in these cases is just awkward.

The awkwardness of these devices is why I suspect the focus will be on professionals that can leverage the larger device to their advantage.