GameBench shows iPhone 6 beats Galaxy S6 in game performance & better looking graphics

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    Of course the marriage of hardware and software under one roof is going to give a better experience. Water is also wet and death a certainty. The question is so what? The gap has closed significantly, objectively. Most of these games play fine on either device for most people. You probably couldn't pay the average Joe consumer to read an article like this. It's beginning to sound like the xbox v playstation argument...

And for the Apple][ of the world...if Android is so terribly inferior why is Apple starting down that road with bringing Apple music to it? Your heads must be spinning....

Huh?

If the Fords and Volkswagens are so terribly inferior to Bentley and Mercedes, why bother selling them coffee to drink while they're driving?

What sort of logic is that?

Like iTunes for Windows, this is just making a business model more viable by greatly increasing the number of potential customers. Full stop.
  • Reply 62 of 85
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Of course the marriage of hardware and software under one roof is going to give a better experience. Water is also wet and death a certainty. The question is so what? The gap has closed significantly, objectively. Most of these games play fine on either device for most people. You probably couldn't pay the average Joe consumer to read an article like this. It's beginning to sound like the xbox v playstation argument...

And for the Apple][ of the world...if Android is so terribly inferior why is Apple starting down that road with bringing Apple music to it? Your heads must be spinning....

Seemingly average joe can tell the difference.... Cause the bottom has fallen out of the high end Android market. Apple is about 90-95% of profits for what.... 9 months, pretty soon, all year (it used to be for 4-5 months until Samsung released its phones, well their mobile profit are going down the drain now). If anyone's head is spinning, it is poor Samsung's head. Good thing they can still sell spare parts to Apple...

As for Apple music going to Android, considering you only get the most integrated experience on IOS; I'm guessing they're thinking that this will be just enough to tempt to poor little Android souls.  Apple had music on Windows, so having in on Android is not head spinning at all. Goes with their previous decisions in that area. Not only that; Google's has been making a mint off IOS for years; it's time Apple kicks Google back, sucking profits from their own platform.

• Reply 63 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

Huh?

If the Fords and Volkswagens are so terribly inferior to Bentley and Mercedes, why bother selling them coffee to drink while they're driving?

What sort of logic is that?

Like iTunes for Windows, this is just making a business model more viable by greatly increasing the number of potential customers. Full stop.

You obviously have no idea what I am talking about or just clueless. Your analogy makes no sense. Is Ford making Sync for Mercedes? You're trying to argue Fram makes oil filters for one and not the other which isn't even what I was getting. Full stop. 

• Reply 64 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Seemingly average joe can tell the difference.... Cause the bottom has fallen out of the high end Android market. Apple is about 90-95% of profits for what.... 9 months, pretty soon, all year (it used to be for 4-5 months until Samsung released its phones, well their mobile profit are going down the drain now). If anyone's head is spinning, it is poor Samsung's head. Good thing they can still sell spare parts to Apple...

While certainly true in the grand scheme, that's a non sequitur here, this article (aka the same weekly DED verbal flooding drum beat) and comments are about the performance of two devices. All I said is performance the gap has closed to the point for most people this is splitting hairs, even if clearly on paper, Apple is ahead. I should assume you must agree if you are moving the goal posts back to profits. 

Quote:

As for Apple music going to Android, considering you only get the most integrated experience on IOS; I'm guessing they're thinking that this will be just enough to tempt to poor little Android souls.  Apple had music on Windows, so having in on Android is not head spinning at all. Goes with their previous decisions in that area. Not only that; Google's has been making a mint off IOS for years; it's time Apple kicks Google back, sucking profits from their own platform. 

Previous decisions? Apple had another app on Android? or Windows phone? or Blackberry when it ruled the market? Any non iOS mobile app at all? Oh...ok then. iTunes on Windows is still a steaming pile..gave up on Safari...  For something that was supposedly thermonuclear; didn't DED promise Android would be dead for one of 100 reasons by now? - yet here Apple is now an Android developer. Releasing an Android app is sort of a trojan horse, but it boils down to admitting two things: there is money in Android, and two it is too big to ignore for a cross platform service. If Apple only does things right, when they are ready, then I guess they don't see Android as second class citizens after all...  

• Reply 65 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

Your post is off topic, illogical, and incoherent. How exactly does playing the exact same game on a different platform make you a worse player? It doesn't, aside from the completely temporary effects of bringing in inexperienced players. You should be glad that your favorite developer has expanded the number of people you can play with / against.

I hate Android as much as the next guy, but not at the expense of reason.

As someone who plays WOT Blitz as well, I can make a few observations.

1.  There are plenty of people that complain about performance on their Android devices in their forums.

2.  The gameplay can be frustrating.  You win or lose as a team.  You can't control who you are partnered with, with the exception of being able to platoon with one other person.  When the Android masses came into the game, the overall skill level of players dropped significantly.  My first reaction was positive as I saw opponents as easy cannon fodder.  However, when you have this level of players on your own team, it can be very frustrating as easy wins turn into losses.  I would also suggest that over player etiquette has dropped as well.  More nasty comments during gameplay and more players doing things they are not supposed to such as blocking other tanks, etc.

The point being, I'd like to think people are the same regardless of platform, but in practice, I've witnessed a great community decline in quality.  WOT Blitz is still a great game, but the injection of Android players has decreased the overall experience for me as well.  Perhaps you'd have a better understanding of this issue if you played the game since the it's introduction as I have.

• Reply 66 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

While certainly true in the grand scheme, that's a non sequitur here, this article (aka the same weekly DED verbal flooding drum beat) and comments are about the performance of two devices. All I said is performance the gap has closed to the point for most people this is splitting hairs, even if clearly on paper, Apple is ahead. I should assume you must agree if you are moving the goal posts back to profits. 

Previous decisions? Apple had another app on Android? or Windows phone? or Blackberry when it ruled the market? Any non iOS mobile app at all? Oh...ok then. iTunes on Windows is still a steaming pile..gave up on Safari...  For something that was supposedly thermonuclear; didn't DED promise Android would be dead for one of 100 reasons by now? - yet here Apple is now an Android developer. Releasing an Android app is sort of a trojan horse, but it boils down to admitting two things: there is money in Android, and two it is too big to ignore for a cross platform service. If Apple only does things right, when they are ready, then I guess they don't see Android as second class citizens after all...  

I don't think you have a clue what non sequitur means.

I said people noticed that Android's top devices are not competitive and that's why they're not buying them.

You may argued if that's the real reason or not, but it is perfectly on point to the thread.

Profits are just a demonstration of the "non buy" of the top most expensive phones

(where the profits are, so general profits are just not really my point is it but I need to look profits to make my main point). 

I didn't switch anything at all.

Also, make sure to read what I wrote, not what you want me to have written.

They had their  top music service on Windows, the place most people were in 2004.

Now, they cover Android for the same reason. That's it.

I didn't imply anything else at all; you did.

There is no head spinning involved at all.

Someone on Android could have had a ITunes account on windows (you don't need a Iphone to have an Itune account)

and transferred music that way to their phone in the 10 years before streaming really took off. I'm sure many did.

• Reply 67 of 85
    robertcrobertc Posts: 118member

DED Logic:

The R9 280x scores 60.6 fps and the GTX 980 TI scores 40.9 fps when playing Crysis. Therefore the R9 280x is better than the GTX 980 TI.

Proof in red:

For those unfamiliar, many demanding Android games, such as Grand Theft Auto (shown in DED's editorial), allow you to adjust the resolution.

So claiming that the iPhone pushing 1,000,500 pixels beats a Galaxy pushing 3,686,400 pixels is just nonsense. 

The gaming industry doesn't compare hardware like this, DED should be no exception. 

• Reply 68 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by relddireht View Post

So the GS6 is driving about 3.68 times the number of pixels the iPhone is. If you were to adjust those benchmark scores accordingly, you'd see a much different picture here. 

I would add that there is a difference between things like fill rate and geometry.  The GS6 isn't doing 3.68x the amount of work.

In the end, the bottom line is the end result.  No part of your comment gets away from the fact that GS6 users will see lesser performance and lesser quality in many cases.  There are many reasons for this such as the fact that the S6 does have to push more pixels and the fact that Android doesn't have an equivalent to Metal, etc.  In the end, it's the results that matter and what customers should be aware of.

• Reply 69 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

The benchmarks are meaningless all you have to do is look at the comparison. The S6 is rendering more detail. Look at the lighting detail on the back of the jeans. And the most glaring is the S6 shows power lines the iPhone doesn't. It's rendering far more detail. On the S6 the trunks of the trees are smoother and it's showing more shadow and color detail in the leaves. Everything on the iPhone is darker because of the lower RAM and the S6 clearly has a better GPU for gaming. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

The article is bogus. All you have to do is look at one simple difference in the two screen shots. The Galaxy is lagging in the benchmarks because it's AA and AF rendering is better. First if you look at the trees the color separation is better. Second and most important if you look at the power line pole the S6 renders something the iPhone 6 does't, it renders power lines. 

The extra Ram and better GPU performance is allowing the S6 two show more detail. Also if you look at the tree trunks they are far more jagged on the iPhone 6.

I'm not sure if the guy that wrote this is blind but there is no way anyone can come to the conclusion the S6 game rendering doesn't look better. Does take a troll to point out this is bias, just takes a set of eyes.

LOL!  You keep repeating this, but you clearly are imagining things.  The Android version appears to lighter in color... to the point where the trees, etc. look more fake.  These games use the same textures, so suggesting there is more detail rendered in the Android version is just nonsense. 

For that matter, one of the games, Asphalt 8: Airborne is enhanced for Metal.  While the frame rate is capped across platforms, the iOS / Metal version allows for 3x as many cars to be displayed while racing.  Not to mention that the iOS version doesn't drop in frame rate like the Android version when displaying other cars.  There is no equivalent to Metal on Android.  Even if the hardware was exactly the same, the iOS version would be better for that reason alone.  Games like this that measure frame rate alone really understate the differences between these platforms.

• Reply 70 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertC View Post

DED Logic:

So claiming that the iPhone pushing 1,000,500 pixels beats a Galaxy pushing 3,686,400 pixels is just nonsense. 

The gaming industry doesn't compare hardware like this, DED should be no exception. 

While I do realize that DED is a bit of an Apple cheerleader, the actual argument he makes is actually pretty valid.  He's not comparing the chips in isolation or in a vacuum.  He's specifically calling out the fact that Android phones have gone overboard in terms of resolution (as they are well past any reasonable discernable difference for normal human vision (20/20) at normal viewing distances).  This, combined with comparable GPUs yields inferior results in actual applications.  This is true even with synthetic benchmarks that use standard OpenGL, etc.  In the real world, many apps are leveraging Apple's Metal API for graphics and when this happens, the gap between the two platforms becomes very real and anything but trivial.   Synthetic benchmarks are great for discussion and perhaps even comparing raw hardware.  However, it's also fair to point out how these platforms actually compare in the real world as well.  I believe most of the objection we're seeing from some is simply due to the fact that they don't like the results.

• Reply 71 of 85
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    While I do realize that DED is a bit of an Apple cheerleader, the actual argument he makes is actually pretty valid.  He's not comparing the chips in isolation or in a vacuum.  He's specifically calling out the fact that Android phones have gone overboard in terms of resolution (as they are well past any reasonable discernable difference for normal human vision (20/20) at normal viewing distances).  This, combined with comparable GPUs yields inferior results in actual applications.  This is true even with synthetic benchmarks that use standard OpenGL, etc.  In the real world, many apps are leveraging Apple's Metal API for graphics and when this happens, the gap between the two platforms becomes very real and anything but trivial.   Synthetic benchmarks are great for discussion and perhaps even comparing raw hardware.  However, it's also fair to point out how these platforms actually compare in the real world as well.  I believe most of the objection we're seeing from some is simply due to the fact that they don't like the results.

It's not really about disliking the results as so much as it really doesn't matter anymore. Mobile chips are so fast nowadays that even a low spec'd phone like the Motorola G, which has a Qualcomm 400 and is one of the cheapest smartphones available from both AT&T and Verizon, can easily handle the most demanding games available in the Google Play Store. Here is a video showing the game play of Modern Combat 5 on the Motorola G. The people posting here stating that these cheap Android phones just aren't able to play modern mobile games are mistaken, now I'm talking about phones produced in the last year. Here is another video of the Motorola G playing a bunch of games, As you can see their very playable, no where near as well as say an iPhone 6 or Samsung S6, but nothing where the user would be turned off by the experience. The fact of the matter is that the software hasn't caught up with the hardware yet. I'm not defending the Samsung S6 either as I personally don't like their phones or business mato, that being said though their decision on using a higher resolution display has very little impact on the experience as a whole. No one outside of those looking for the smallest deviation in these benchmarks numbers, to show that their platform is better, actually cares, if, and again, the experience meets their expectations. With the speed of the S6 as it is, well, I'm sure it surpasses the expectations of even the most staunch power user, as well as those using an iPhone.
  • Reply 72 of 85
    foggyhill wrote: »

It's been my experience that apples Mac and ios developers kick ass. While their windows developers... I hope they can at least make a half decent attempt to make the app decent on Android. I hope they don't make it shitty just to say look this is because of Android becuase gplay music works well on apple and Android no excuses.
  • Reply 73 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another_steve View Post

I would add that there is a difference between things like fill rate and geometry.  The GS6 isn't doing 3.68x the amount of work.

In the end, the bottom line is the end result.  No part of your comment gets away from the fact that GS6 users will see lesser performance and lesser quality in many cases.  There are many reasons for this such as the fact that the S6 does have to push more pixels and the fact that Android doesn't have an equivalent to Metal, etc.  In the end, it's the results that matter and what customers should be aware of.

Not exactly 3.68 times the work, but in that ballpark. You're right, the end result is what matters. What part of your comment or this article shows an accurate comparison of the end results? All I see are some benchmark numbers that are blatantly skewed in Apple's favor and some one-sided opinions from the author. 

• Reply 74 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's not really about disliking the results as so much as it really doesn't matter anymore.

No one outside of those looking for the smallest deviation in these benchmarks numbers, to show that their platform is better, actually cares, if, and again, the experience meets their expectations. With the speed of the S6 as it is, well, I'm sure it surpasses the expectations of even the most staunch power user, as well as those using an iPhone.

Nobody is suggesting that you can't play games on Android.  That's not what this article is about.  There was a recent article which proclaimed the S6 to be faster at some common things.  The gamebench article provides a reasonable counter example.  It also highlights the need to compare the benchmarks for the things you care about most rather than to rely solely on synthetic benchmarks.

Also, you claim that nobody cares about gaming performance on mobile.  I'm sure that's true for some.  It would be true for someone like my wife that simply plays casual games that would run fine on a 4 year old device.  Others (like myself) play more demanding titles.  If you were a gamer at all, you'd understand the competitive advantage you have with smoother game play and higher FPS, etc.  Someone mentioned World of Tanks Blitz as a good example.  The title recently came to Android and it just doesn't perform as well on that platform for whatever reason.  I wouldn't play that game on anything less than an A7 chip on iOS either.  Why?  Because gaming performance does matter for some, even if it doesn't matter to you.

• Reply 75 of 85
    grkm3grkm3 Posts: 30member
    Long yawn!!! my gs6 is so laggy and slow lmfao and I laughed reading about Samsung not having enough CPU power lol

I challenge anyone in the world with a iPhone to beat my laggy gs6.

Here is a reminder of what 14nm and ufs nand does on the gs6.ya you read that right 330mb per fing second!

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/60949/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/60950/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/60951/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 76 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

I don'T think you have a clue what non sequitur means bud.

I said people noticed that Android's top devices are not competitive and that's why they're not buying them.

You may argued if that's the real reason or not, but it is perfectly on point to the thread.

Also, make sure to read what I wrote, not what you want me to have written.

They had their  top music service on Windows, the place most people were in 2004.

Now, they cover Android for the same reason. That's it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post

Long yawn!!! my gs6 is so laggy and slow lmfao and I laughed reading about Samsung not having enough CPU power lol

I challenge anyone in the world with a iPhone to beat my laggy gs6.

Here is a reminder of what 14nm and ufs nand does on the gs6.ya you read that right 330mb per fing second!

Hey, bud, you do know the difference between BENCHMARKS and actual god damn REAL WORLD use don't you.

Doesn't matter how "good" a benchmark is if Android and Touchwiz makes your phone run like sludge.

Funny how S6 is so god damn good nobody wants to own it!

• Reply 77 of 85
    grkm3grkm3 Posts: 30member

Hey, bud, you do know the difference between BENCHMARKS and actual god damn REAL WORLD use don't you moron.
    Doesn't matter how "good" a benchmark is if Android and Touchwiz makes your phone run like sludge.
    Go away troll to the rock you emerged from.
    And don't bother to drool again, you're own ignore.

Yeah it's funny because in real world the gs6 is the fastest running and smoothest phone out! Maybe try using one and see how sludge slow it is lmfao.

This site is hilarious and very amusing! Please take me off ignore please lmfao.

How is the gs6 sludge when it opens and runs any apps faster then any other phone? Please explain
  • Reply 78 of 85
    Nobody is suggesting that you can't play games on Android.  That's not what this article is about.  There was a recent article which proclaimed the S6 to be faster at some common things.  The gamebench article provides a reasonable counter example.  It also highlights the need to compare the benchmarks for the things you care about most rather than to rely solely on synthetic benchmarks.

Also, you claim that nobody cares about gaming performance on mobile.  I'm sure that's true for some.  It would be true for someone like my wife that simply plays casual games that would run fine on a 4 year old device.  Others (like myself) play more demanding titles.  If you were a gamer at all, you'd understand the competitive advantage you have with smoother game play and higher FPS, etc.  Someone mentioned World of Tanks Blitz as a good example.  The title recently came to Android and it just doesn't perform as well on that platform for whatever reason.  I wouldn't play that game on anything less than an A7 chip on iOS either.  Why?  Because gaming performance does matter for some, even if it doesn't matter to you.

I just install Bkitz Tanks to see what all the fuss was about, I tried it a while back but never really got into it. I no longer have a current Android device to test it on but I still have an older Nexus 5 that I let someone use and just got it back yesterday, so I reinstalled Android 5 and than Blitz Tanks, it played it flawlessly with an average framerate of 45 FPS. The real treat was when I installed it on my Nvidia Shield TV, the game never dipped below 60FPS and even had a cool game controller to play it with. Playing this game on a TV is a blast, I highly recommend it. Anyway the Nexus 5 is a 2 year old device now and can be purchased here in Switzerland for about 250 bucks, so not all cheap Android headsets are garbage. Though if it was me I would definitely grab a OnePlus One or Xiami Mi4, both have a Qualcomm 801, 3GB of RAM and can be had for only 300 to 350 bucks unlocked. These two handsets are also fantastic gamers. However even those on a budget can still be fairly happy using a Motorola G with a Qualcom for 130 bucks as it can play Blitz Tank with framerates easily reaching 30FPS.
  • Reply 79 of 85

Hey, bud, you do know the difference between BENCHMARKS and actual god damn REAL WORLD use don't you.

You can't say no one wants to own one when Samsung can't make them fast enough, someone is certaintly buying them, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-24/samsung-said-to-accelerate-curved-s6-edge-output-as-demand-soars
  • Reply 80 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Just like nobody wants a stylus, and nobody wants a big phone. There sure are a lot of nobodies in this world.