iPod shipping times slip ahead of Apple's anticipated Tuesday update with new colors

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Shipping times for some iPod models -- mostly for the iPod touch -- have lengthened at Apple's U.S. online store ahead of an anticipated refresh on Tuesday, during which Apple is expected to add new colors and upgrade the Touch's internals.

Checks by AppleInsider on Monday showed that all iPod touch models now have a one- to three-day delivery window, regardless of color or storage capacity. The iPod nano is mostly in stock, but space gray models are sharing the Touch's delay, and Product Red models aren't being delivered for 7 to 10 days. All colors of the iPod shuffle are being delivered immediately.

Tuesday's refresh should see new hot pink, gold, and deep blue colors introduced across the iPod lineup. They were discovered in the iTunes 12.2 resource file earlier this month by AppleInsider.

Apple is also said to be planning to upgrade the iPod touch hardware, having mostly neglected the device since 2012. The new model is expected to get a 64-bit processor, presumably the A7 used in 2013's iPhone 5s.

AppleInsider's own sources were first to reveal the iPod refresh in April. Questions still in the air include whether Apple will upgrade the iPod touch cameras and storage options, but it's expected the company will stick to a 4-inch Retina display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Why A7? Seriously if Apple wants to continue these long upgrade cycles they should put a 14 nm processor in there to keep the Touch relevant for a couple of years. If it wasn't for Apple ignoring the platform I would of had one years ago.
  • Reply 2 of 19

Dude, there is nothing like a little iPod touch to use around the house while your phone is recharging (or if you forget it at the office, oops!)  So stoked to see my little iPod Product Red(tm) refreshed.  Will it have 128????????????  Stoked!!

• Reply 3 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

There is one use case for the Touch that I never see mentioned. That would be second "phones" for those whose primary phone is issued by their employer. Many people are reluctant to put any personal info on the company phone for privacy reasons or to avoid breaking company rules regarding personal use of company electronics. The Touch pretty much does everything the phone does except make calls and text people without iPhones. Personal e-mail, games, FB, music and videos etc.                       

• Reply 4 of 19
    mike1 wrote: »
    There is one use case for the Touch that I never see mentioned. That would be second "phones" for those whose primary phone is issued by their employery. Many people are reluctant to put any personal info on the company phone for privacy reasons or to avoid breaking company rules regarding personal use of company electronics. The Touch pretty much does everything the phone does except make calls and text people without iPhones. Personal e-mail, games, FB, music and videos etc.                        

Or people who's daily use kills their iPhone battery, if I could offload much of my iMessage, podcasts, music and basic browsing to another pocketable device, it would be nice.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

Dude, there is nothing like a little iPod touch to use around the house while your phone is recharging (or if you forget it at the office, oops!)  So stoked to see my little iPod Product Red(tm) refreshed.  Will it have 128????????????  Stoked!!

Presumably the iPod Touch could address the market the iPod Classic abandoned last year. If Apple offered a 256GB model, that would address the 160GB storage capacity while leaving more than enough for the OS, and apps. I bet the thing would more than make up for the added expense for that group of users alone. 

• Reply 6 of 19
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Presumably the iPod Touch could address the market the iPod Classic abandoned last year. If Apple offered a 256GB model, that would address the 160GB storage capacity while leaving more than enough for the OS, and apps. I bet the thing would more than make up for the added expense for that group of users alone. 

You got that right.  Apple needs another high capacity music player for those that take their music library with them...including vacations, etc.  The cloud is horse-shit...look what it did to iTunes libraries with their crap Apple Music service.  Destroyed them.  Some people vacation in places without reliable internet service, so local storage is highly desired, as well as driving around in the car and experiencing spotty cell service with an iPhone.  Not everyone has unlimited data either.  I would love a 256GB model iPod Touch, but would be able to make a 128GB model work to replace my aging 160GB iPod Classic.  The iPod Classic software is so outdated, that iOS devices work better in my new Nissan Altima as an iPod.  I would use the iPod Touch for music only since I already have the iPhone 6 Plus (loaded with a mix of apps, photos, some music, and video...the phone is not my dedicated music player).

• Reply 7 of 19
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Or people who's daily use kills their iPhone battery, if I could offload much of my iMessage, podcasts, music and basic browsing to another pocketable device, it would be nice.

Use the Personal Hotspot feature on the iPhone to allow the iPod Touch to handle your texts, browsing, music, podcasts, etc.  You would conserve battery on the iPhone with the display off and only being used as a hotspot while the iPod Touch handles the rest of your extra activities.  AT&T offers hotspot for free now with their new plans.

• Reply 8 of 19
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why A7? Seriously if Apple wants to continue these long upgrade cycles they should put a 14 nm processor in there to keep the Touch relevant for a couple of years. If it wasn't for Apple ignoring the platform I would of had one years ago.

Much of the A8's performance improvement got absorbed by the larger screen with the iPhone 6/6 Plus. So, there's not a huge performance difference between the A7-powered iPhone 5s and the A8-powered iPhone 6. And both the A7 and A8 use the same amount of RAM.

If Apple intends to keep the 4" screen size with the iPod touch, then installing the A8 would create a monster performer that would rival any of their current devices (except for the A8X-powered iPad Air 2). And I doubt that Apple has that in mind for a $200 device. And using the A7 would keep Apple from having to create a new hardware combination (i.e., an A8 SoC with a 4" screen).

While I would love to see an A8-powered 4" iPod touch (or better yet, an A8-powered 4" iPhone), I don't see it happening.

• Reply 9 of 19
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    For people who work from home the iPod is like an iPhone without the price tag or data rip off. I just needed a bit more oomph for Frax Pro. It's also the perfect form factor. Set it up with Manything the other day as a security camera and it stream DTT with my netstream plugged into the wifi, and with Apple Music, it does frikken everything.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    analogjack wrote: »
    For people who work from home the iPod is like an iPhone without the price tag or data rip off. I just needed a bit more oomph for Frax Pro. It's also the perfect form factor. Set it up with Manything the other day as a security camera and it stream DTT with my netstream plugged into the wifi, and with Apple Music, it does frikken everything.

Or the phone calls, the SMS messages, the screen real estate, the 64 bit processor, yup just like the iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member

Wow... ~10 comments about an upcoming Apple product release...

What does that say about where the iPod ranks now in the family of products?

LOL

BTW... 10am EST and the store is still up...

• Reply 12 of 19
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Agreed, the A9 release is only a couple months away, but they plan to add a 2 year old processor to a device they don't plan to update for 3 years, no one wants to buy 3-4 year old hardware in the modern age, so why rip off its sales?
    hillstones wrote: »
    You got that right.  Apple needs another high capacity music player for those that take their music library with them...including vacations, etc.  The cloud is horse-shit...look what it did to iTunes libraries with their crap Apple Music service.  Destroyed them.  Some people vacation in places without reliable internet service, so local storage is highly desired, as well as driving around in the car and experiencing spotty cell service with an iPhone.  Not everyone has unlimited data either.  I would love a 256GB model iPod Touch, but would be able to make a 128GB model work to replace my aging 160GB iPod Classic.  The iPod Classic software is so outdated, that iOS devices work better in my new Nissan Altima as an iPod.  I would use the iPod Touch for music only since I already have the iPhone 6 Plus (loaded with a mix of apps, photos, some music, and video...the phone is not my dedicated music player).
    I'd love to see the iPod touch offered in 64gb/ 128gb/ 256gb models to show its meant for a music library.
    woochifer wrote: »
    Much of the A8's performance improvement got absorbed by the larger screen with the iPhone 6/6 Plus. So, there's not a huge performance difference between the A7-powered iPhone 5s and the A8-powered iPhone 6. And both the A7 and A8 use the same amount of RAM.

If Apple intends to keep the 4" screen size with the iPod touch, then installing the A8 would create a monster performer that would rival any of their current devices (except for the A8X-powered iPad Air 2). And I doubt that Apple has that in mind for a $200 device. And using the A7 would keep Apple from having to create a new hardware combination (i.e., an A8 SoC with a 4" screen).

While I would love to see an A8-powered 4" iPod touch (or better yet, an A8-powered 4" iPhone), I don't see it happening.
    The iPhone 6 mini is still possible, and alongside the 6S and 6S+ A9s, the A8 powered iPod would be right on the line. The thing is there was a lot of request for larger iPod touches, so likely a 4.7 or 5.5 inch screen will be the standard size, and I doubt there will be multiple models.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Still waiting on the 'anticipated update'. It's approx 2:30 PM EST
  • Reply 14 of 19
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Still waiting on the 'anticipated update'. It's approx 2:30 PM EST

If the update was merely only to update colours, I'd not be so surprised at a silent launch, even if it included a press release and a mention on the home page. However, if the update to the iPod is greater than a new lick of paint, why in the world wouldn't they make something out of the launch, give it some proper attention? Breathing life into the ailing product requires Apple to at least inhale properly, right?

As for the shipping times, here in the UK, it's still "1 business day."

It'd be fun to see the line get updated, including proper CPU, storage, screen and RAM upgrades, but if that's going to happen, it's not going to be done silently, they'd piggy back on another launch, perhaps one that is scheduled end of summer, perhaps? ;-) I doubt you'll see the product get it's own launch event, that would be expecting just a bit too much. But certainly, one of the upcoming events later this year, what's the rush?

• Reply 15 of 19
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

If the update was merely only to update colours, I'd not be so surprised at a silent launch, even if it included a press release and a mention on the home page. However, if the update to the iPod is greater than a new lick of paint, why in the world wouldn't they make something out of the launch, give it some proper attention? Breathing life into the ailing product requires Apple to at least inhale properly, right?

As for the shipping times, here in the UK, it's still "1 business day."

It'd be fun to see the line get updated, including proper CPU, storage, screen and RAM upgrades, but if that's going to happen, it's not going to be done silently, they'd piggy back on another launch, perhaps one that is scheduled end of summer, perhaps? ;-) I doubt you'll see the product get it's own launch event, that would be expecting just a bit too much. But certainly, one of the upcoming events later this year, what's the rush?

You would think the most appropriate event to piggyback off of would have been Apple Music at WWDC.

Given rumours that the AppleTV was nixed from the presentation at the eleventh hour, dropping the new iPods would have been perfect.

And maybe would have spared us a few less demos by Eddy Cue. ;p

Then there's the annual back to school promo, but word has it, that has also been nixed.

My guess is tomorrow...a quiet colour refresh and hopefully some price cuts.

• Reply 16 of 19
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Or the phone calls, the SMS messages, the screen real estate, the 64 bit processor, yup just like the iPhone.

Why the angst?, it's going to get 64 bit in the update, real estate is a matter of choice and I prefer a 4" size and as far as I can tell a 5s is still an iPhone. sms messages? oh I'm heartbroken.

• Reply 17 of 19
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Why the angst?, it's going to get 64 bit in the update, real estate is a matter of choice and I prefer a 4" size and as far as I can tell a 5s is still an iPhone. sms messages? oh I'm heartbroken.

I meant it more as tongue in cheek not angst
  • Reply 18 of 19
    satchmo wrote: »
    You would think the most appropriate event to piggyback off of would have been Apple Music at WWDC.

Given rumours that the AppleTV was nixed from the presentation at the eleventh hour, dropping the new iPods would have been perfect.
    And maybe would have spared us a few less demos by Eddy Cue. ;p

Then there's the annual back to school promo, but word has it, that has also been nixed.
    My guess is tomorrow...a quiet colour refresh and hopefully some price cuts.
    You make it seem that a back to the media(or what they prefer) event, with the Apple TV and IPod there focus, with updates to other low profile devices(mouse, keyboard, etc.) with 1 major introduction (apple watch, iPad pro?) to top it off.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Apple is updating the Apple Store right now.

#JustSaying