Rumor: Apple 'cautious' in placing orders for late 2015 launch of 12.9" 'iPad Pro'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    What is professional use?
    Here is was thinking graphics orient professionals, especial ones that already use tablet interfaces in their work flows.
    There's some thing called APP. Yup, good enterprise apps are needed to run well on iOS 9, not the iOS 9 itself.

Nope, iOS comes up short in many ways when I comes to being suitable for professional use. No system wide scripting support is a big problem for example. Then you have the lack of a shared file system to allow easy moving of documents between various apps. Related to this is the lack of a "Finder" like app to help manage those files.

IOS 9 does improve on many shortcomings with iOS devices so the OS is getting better but it is still a pain when you want to do simple things from the command line or a script.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The only context I have here is my iPad 3 and my 13" MBP. In that regard the iPad is far more portable than the Mac and usable in far more places. One can use the iPad easily in a car, the plant floor and a host of other places. Using something as large as a MBP in these cases is just awkward.

The awkwardness of these devices is why I suspect the focus will be on professionals that can leverage the larger device to their advantage.

If they had a 8.5 x 11 device that would be very thin, very rigid and light, say 4mm and 200g with a carbon fiber body and minimal bezel except at the bottom (though not sure about heat dissipation of these things), I'd love that. That wouldn't be an Ipad pro (at least with current tech), put it would be fantastic. Too bad the screen would still be the fragile part of it otherwise these things would be indestructible.

Could be used as a shield, or a frisbee too ;-). The battery weight is probably what prevents this the most.

• Reply 23 of 29
    The iPad Pro needs to be DUAL BOOT iOS9/OSXElCapitan or I'm not buying it!

I want a tablet, but I'm not going to own both a Macbook AND a 13-inch tablet. That's absurd.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    When do companies accept negative numbers? There will eventually be a point where everyone has an iPad and the market is saturated. Upgraders will be the only source of revenue. Apple must realize this, no?
  • Reply 25 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    timbit wrote: »
    When do companies accept negative numbers? There will eventually be a point where everyone has an iPad and the market is saturated. Upgraders will be the only source of revenue. Apple must realize this, no?

Yup. Eventually everyone will have cars, smart phones, PCs, TVs, etc. why bother.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    What's the point of running a story headlined by a rumor when you KNOW the source of that rumor has a poor track record of accuracy? Not only know it, but admit it two paragraphs in. Seriously, if that's okay, why not write down a bunch of plausible rumors on scraps of paper, throw them in a hat, pull one out, and run with that headline, with the same disclaimer, that the source of this rumor--a hat in this case--has a poor record of accuracy... although it might turn out that the hat is better than DigiTimes.

I'm not saying that it's pointless to read DigiTimes--what I'm saying and what has been proven over time is that it's a poor source for accurate Apple rumors, so why continue to run with headlines based on those rumors?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    If they had a 8.5 x 11 device that would be very thin, very rigid and light, say 4mm and 200g with a carbon fiber body and minimal bezel except at the bottom (though not sure about heat dissipation of these things), I'd love that.
    I would imagine you would love it if it fits your needs. My concern would be that a significantly larger iPad would be harder to handle in the very mobile space.

That wouldn't be an Ipad pro (at least with current tech), put it would be fantastic. Too bad the screen would still be the fragile part of it otherwise these things would be indestructible.
    It could easily be an iPad Pro. I wouldn't expect an iPad Pro to follow exactly in the foot print of the current iPad.
    Could be used as a shield, or a frisbee too ;-). The battery weight is probably what prevents this the most.
    A shield not really, thin composites aren't that resistant penetration.

The battery probably won't be a problem. Batteries do improve every year even if slowly. More importantly recent news indicates that at least two process shrinks beyond 14 nm are in the pipeline. So the performance of these machines could be impressive. Ideally we will get 14 nm this year and 10 nm next year. We should see a very significant performance increase this year with 14 nm SoC,s.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    New MacBook vs. iPad Pro. Decisions, decisions...
  • Reply 29 of 29
    herbivoreherbivore Posts: 132member
    I for one, am waiting for this machine. Even at 800 to 900 USD I would buy it. The MacBook is unappealing and I desperately need something better than the MacBook Air with its awful battery life.