Apple's iPhone reaps dominant 92% of handset industry's profits

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    fallenjt wrote: »
     A lot people hate iPhone because they don't want to buy apps. I had a guy at work and he used Galaxy Note the whole time. He just inherited an 6+ from his wife and he felt miserable because he's not used to iOS and refused to learn new things.  Besides, he loves the S-pen too which I think it's ridiculous on a 5" screen.

...and that's why Android will always suck the hind tit on a boar when it comes to quality apps. Few people will write Android apps for free when the iOS platform will pay them handsomely. And if that's not enough, it's not that hard to port the iOS app over to OSX where they can charge even more money per app...
  • Reply 62 of 90
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Sure. I'm a rare exception to the norm which I stated as much.

You must bit know a lot of people as I've know a lot of people that have switched to a Android device from an iPhone because they don't like it. I also know a lot of people that have switched to the iPhone from an android phone. Usually they got a cheap Android device and it sacked, so they bought the cheapest iPhone possible. I literally see the switch every day.

The only person I know so far to switched to Android was due to the screen size.

• Reply 63 of 90
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    The only person I know so far to switched to Android was due to the screen size.

Like I said, I literally see this everyday, switching to a Android from a iPhone. Of course there are always more iPhones out the door per day but at least 10 a day switch to a Android device from an iPhone.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

...and that's why Android will always suck the hind tit on a boar when it comes to quality apps. Few people will write Android apps for free when the iOS platform will pay them handsomely. And if that's not enough, it's not that hard to port the iOS app over to OSX where they can charge even more money per app...

this is why Android took a lot of market shares: take advantage of cheap ass people who don't want to pay for apps especially in third world countries and ended up buying android phones

• Reply 65 of 90
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    Quote:

I emphasized the part of your fantasy that was TOTAL bullshit. I ain't even gonna mess with the rest that is just mostly bullshit.

Google making plenty of money by being privy to the smallest detail of Android owner's' lives. What they have found is that android owners are cheap-assed bastards compared to iOS owners, so they are not making nearly what they could if they hadn't stolen the smart pome idea from Apple... setting Apple on a warpath that is denying more and more access to Apple's customer data. Google does very well thank you on mobile advertising via YouTube and TheWeatherChannel apps. Apple is tightning down the screws so the future for Google is not bright. Their search position will go away when the patent expired in a couple years, and they still haven't found a replacement main source of income; Robots and cars, oh my!

So you would state that Samsung's billions in mobile profits, down as they are, are less than what Google makes from Android in mobile advertising? 

I find it quite hard to believe that Google even makes all that much from mobile at this point in time. Perhaps you have links to bolster your case? 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/2015/01/29/google-continues-to-miss-revenue-estimates-in-fourth-quarter-earnings/

• Reply 66 of 90
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »
    ok.  Your case is truly one in ten million.  Makes sense now.

I guess she's 1 in 100 like the new iPhone commerical.  Its actually pretty rare. I have not meet a person who hated their iPhone and switched, besides switching for a larger screen.

You must bit know a lot of people as I've know a lot of people that have switched to a Android device from an iPhone because they don't like it. I also know a lot of people that have switched to the iPhone from an android phone. Usually they got a cheap Android device and it sacked, so they bought the cheapest iPhone possible. I literally see the switch every day.

I only know one person that switched from an older iPhone 4 to android, but she was certifiably nuts to start with....
  • Reply 67 of 90
    I emphasized the part of your fantasy that was TOTAL bullshit. I ain't even gonna mess with the rest that is just mostly bullshit.

Most of Google's profits is still from desktop/laptop search not mobile.  So it is not BS.

I don't know that and I'm sure you don't either, but for shits and giggles lets say you're right -- then Google's headed down the same dead end Microsoft is because the desktop PC is dying. As far as laptops are concerned, I thought they were a mobile device... maybe WIndoze Laptops are wired into the desk with all those ports and cables and don't get toted around, but Apple Laptops are mobile in every sense of the word, and with Spotlight replacing most Mac and iOS searches, Google's gonna have to find a different cow to milk.

It's either make money in the mobile market or wither away...
  • Reply 68 of 90

Do you work at a cellphone store?  Maybe your clients are more Android centric.  Who knows.  What is there reason for switching?  With the 6 out I'd think its mostly for a cheaper price phone.

But the stats show that there are way more Android to iPhone switchers than the other way around.

Don't work at one but I do have business in the industry. I agree with your points that there are more switchers to the iPhone as I see that. I guess some people just find it hard to believe that not everyone thinks Apple is the greatest and the best. Some people just don't like the iOS that Apple makes. Nothing wrong with that. And yes, there are cheap asses that buy cheap Android's but I'm mostly talking about the high end. Which Apple does dominant in every way.
    I only know one person that switched from an older iPhone 4 to android, but she was certifiably nuts to start with....

Congratulations! I personally know of only one person that ownes a chain of fine dining Steakhouses. Doesn’t mean that there isn't more that do.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    In my experience the only people I know that switched from Apple to Android were:

1. wanting a bigger screen in 2013-2014 (not the case anymore)

2. short on funds or just wanted to cut expenses

3. wanted to load their phone with a ton of illegal videos, games, apps.

1. Absolutely! There were a ton during that period. Not so much anymore.

2. Those people annoy me. Why buy something that's cheap when it's the one thing that you use more than anything else day to day.

3. I can't stand those people either. They are stealing. My soon to be fiancee is in the film industry so I take that stuff to heart.

I guess I'm just around a more eclectic group of people everyday. I always see more iPhones than not but do see people switch from the iPhone because they don't like it. Some run extremely successful business and money is of no concern.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    Funny math: by including companies that lose money, Apple and Samsung make more than 100% of the profit. But those companies do NOT make a profit and should NOT be included, leading to a much less dramatic, but more truthful headline.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    In my experience the only people I know that switched from Apple to Android were:

1. wanting a bigger screen in 2013-2014 (not the case anymore)

2. short on funds or just wanted to cut expenses

3. wanted to load their phone with a ton of illegal videos, games, apps.

1. Absolutely! There were a ton during that period. Not so much anymore.

2. Those people annoy me. Why buy something that's cheap when it's the one thing that you use more than anything else day to day.

3. I can't stand those people either. They are stealing. My soon to be fiancee is in the film industry so I take that stuff to heart.

I guess I'm just around a more eclectic group of people everyday. I always see more iPhones than not but do see people switch from the iPhone because they don't like it. Some run extremely successful business and money is of no concern.

1. Funny but whenever someone claimed that they were being sold all I ever heard was "where? I never seen one in public" Who were buying these devices?

2.Who says that they use it more than anything else. Your usage isn't everyone else's.

3. Please this entire country was stolen, so have a few elections. We're a country of thieves.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    Quote:

I don't know that and I'm sure you don't either, but for shits and giggles lets say you're right -- then Google's headed down the same dead end Microsoft is because the desktop PC is dying. As far as laptops are concerned, I thought they were a mobile device... maybe WIndoze Laptops are wired into the desk with all those ports and cables and don't get toted around, but Apple Laptops are mobile in every sense of the word, and with Spotlight replacing most Mac and iOS searches, Google's gonna have to find a different cow to milk.

It's either make money in the mobile market or wither away...

Mobile in my mind means a cellular data link.

Google might yet find itself in a hard spot, that Android OS was supposed to be an insurance policy against happening; being locked out of some the most lucrative demographics for advertisers.

• Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Quote:

Google making plenty of money by being privy to the smallest detail of Android owner's' lives. What they have found is that android owners are cheap-assed bastards compared to iOS owners, so they are not making nearly what they could if they hadn't stolen the smart pome idea from Apple... setting Apple on a warpath that is denying more and more access to Apple's customer data. Google does very well thank you on mobile advertising via YouTube and TheWeatherChannel apps. Apple is tightning down the screws so the future for Google is not bright. Their search position will go away when the patent expired in a couple years, and they still haven't found a replacement main source of income; Robots and cars, oh my!

So you would state that Samsung's billions in mobile profits, down as they are, are less than what Google makes from Android in mobile advertising? 

I find it quite hard to believe that Google even makes all that much from mobile at this point in time. Perhaps you have links to bolster your case? 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/2015/01/29/google-continues-to-miss-revenue-estimates-in-fourth-quarter-earnings/

Good God, I never mentioned Samsung or compared them to Google, don't be such an illiterate ass-wipe! Nor did what I wrote have squat to do with Google missing rev earnings.

• Reply 74 of 90

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
  • Reply 75 of 90
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    satchmo wrote: »
    Apple chose the premium level with maximum profits. And this strategy is what has allowed them to create well designed and well implemented features.

I hate the over used car analogy, but luxury brands like Mercedes, BMW and Audi play the same way. And they've been around a lot longer than Apple.

Apple's strategy in the smartphone market is much like their strategy in the computer market.

Apple doesn't sell a laptop lower than $899.

Meanwhile... HP will sell you a laptop for $199.

It's two different strategies.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Why should anyone who's not an investor care at the moment?

because we like the company, its products, its philosophy, and enjoy seeing it do well? why would I need to be an owner? why do non-owners like watching professional sports teams do well?

it must kill you that people admire Apple so much. I mean, if the CEO of Google died (not even sure who it is? Larry?), can you see the world holding vigils of the sort they did for Steve Jobs. no friggin way. people love Apple. in a way they don't love google.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    because we like the company, its products, its philosophy, and enjoy seeing it do well? why would I need to be an owner? why do non-owners like watching professional sports teams do well?

it must kill you that people admire Apple so much. I mean, if the CEO of Google died (not even sure who it is? Larry?), can you see the world holding vigils of the sort they did for Steve Jobs. no friggin way. people love Apple. in a way they don't love google.
    Makes sense.
  • Reply 78 of 90
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Actually liking the company but not investing in it should make people value market share over profits, obviously not at the cost of quality. Particularly since this is a platform.

My bold prediction - both the Mac and iOS will be 30% worldwide in 5-10 years of their respective markets. I don't believe that companies not making money tend to stay in the game long term except for vanity projects for large conglomerates. The Chinese manufacturers are all chasing share to monetise later, but there won't be much if any money and eventually their existing investors will tire of the losses and new investors won't fund new smartphone startups. The Chinese investor tends to herd.

Apple can increase market share with a compelling mid level entry phone which blows the competition away at a price point, this year that will be the iPhone 6. Next year I think they'll go low mid market with a 4" device tailored to the emerging markets.

If I'm right next years lineup will be 4" with 6 internals. 6s as low tiered large screen device, and 7 and 7+ with whatever new form factor and additions are there. Maybe however the 6 will still be sold in certain markets.

That should be fairly devastating for the competition.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

../.

My bold prediction - both the Mac and iOS will be 30% worldwide in 5-10 years of their respective markets. I don't believe that companies not making money tend to stay in the game long term except for vanity projects for large conglomerates. The Chinese manufacturers are all chasing share to monetise later, but there won't be much if any money and eventually their existing investors will tire of the losses and new investors won't fund new smartphone startups. The Chinese investor tends to herd.

Apple can increase market share with a compelling mid level entry phone which blows the competition away at a price point, this year that will be the iPhone 6. Next year I think they'll go low mid market with a 4" device tailored to the emerging markets.

If I'm right next years lineup will be 4" with 6 internals. 6s as low tiered large screen device, and 7 and 7+ with whatever new form factor and additions are there. Maybe however the 6 will still be sold in certain markets.

That should be fairly devastating for the competition.

At this point in time (next 2 years at least), I don't see Apple making any specific moves to develop a mid-range device.  They are still bringing in substantial growth at the high end (and I consider "last years phone" at ~$550 USD as high end, with the 2-year old iPhone just dipping into the mid-range).  Now, a device tailored for emerging markets for limited geographical distribution is more plausible.

• Reply 80 of 90
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    brucemc wrote: »
    At this point in time (next 2 years at least), I don't see Apple making any specific moves to develop a mid-range device.  They are still bringing in substantial growth at the high end (and I consider "last years phone" at ~$550 USD as high end, with the 2-year old iPhone just dipping into the mid-range).  Now, a device tailored for emerging markets for limited geographical distribution is more plausible.

Yes, there's probably no need for a mid range device (by world standards) in the U.S.

However even this year the iPhone 6, free on contract, could be disruptive.