Apple launches new iPod touch with 64-bit A8 CPU, 8MP camera, M8 motion coprocessor & 128GB capacity

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Apple on Wednesday overhauled its iPod touch lineup for the first time in years, debuting a new high-end $399 model with a 128-gigabyte capacity, while giving all versions a 64-bit A8 processor, M8 motion coprocessor, and 8-megapixel rear camera.

The new iPod touch lineup starts at $199 for a 16-gigabyte capacity, while a $249 model with 32 gigabytes, and a $299 model with 64 gigabytes are also available. The new iPod touch lineup is available for purchase direct from Apple.

Aside from upgraded internal components, the new iPod touch models also come in three new colors: gold, hot pink, and a darker shade of blue than was previously offered.

The new iPod touch units ship with iOS 8.4, the latest available version of Apple's mobile operating system. This includes support for the new Apple Music service, which will allow users to stream songs on demand for $9.99 per month.

AppleInsider was first to report in April that Apple would be updating its long-neglected iPod lineup this year. Wednesday's update marks the first significant changes to the iPod touch since 2012.

The inclusion of the M8 chip also makes the iPod touch a full-fledged pedometer, allowing it to compete with step tracking accessories from the likes of Fitbit. The M8 and A8 chips debuted in 2014 in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

The new 64-bit processor also means that applications on the iPod touch will work with Metal, Apple's advanced gaming technology exclusive to its newer A-series CPUs.

The high-end 128-gigabyte capacity, meanwhile, is a first for an iOS device with a 4-inch Retina display. Apple didn't begin offering 128-gigabyte capacities in the iPhone lineup until last year's launch of the larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus.

In addition to an 8-megapixel iSight rear camera that can shoot 120-frames-per-second slow-mo video, the new iPod touch also has an improved forward facing FaceTime HD camera. Wi-Fi speeds have also been improved and are three times faster.

Aside from the upgraded components and new colors, the design of the iPod touch is largely unchanged. The new models lack the loop accessory found on the previous generation, but the portable media player still has a 6.1-millimeter thick design with a 4-inch Retina display. It has support for the Siri voice-driven personal assistant, and uses the Lightning connector for charging and syncing.

"iPod touch gives customers around the world access to Apple Music, the App Store and iOS, the world's most advanced mobile operating system, starting at just $199," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPhone, iPod and iOS Product Marketing. "With big advancements like the A8 chip and the 8 megapixel iSight camera, customers can experience next-level gameplay, take even more beautiful photos and enjoy their favorite music, TV shows and movies."

The refresh comes just one day later than had been rumored, as promotional images found in Apple's own iTunes 12.2 software showed a calendar icon dated Tuesday, July 14. Product shots on Apple's website after Wednesday's launch continue to show the "14" calendar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 173

Holy freaking crap! The A8? That thing will scream with that low-res (by comparison) screen!

• Reply 2 of 173
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

Weird, Apple didn't include a "New" tag anywhere on their store site for the changes. At least when I just checked it didn't show up for me. 

• Reply 3 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow A8 chip in the iPod Touch. Thought for sure it would be A7.
  • Reply 4 of 173
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    What? No Force Touch? Bummer. But the A8 M8 processors are great. Wonder if the system RAM is 1 or 2 GB? Love the 128GB storage option. With [B]magicJack[/B] installed it's a WiFi VOIP 4" iPhone 6 minus Touch ID. Wonder if an ?WATCH running watchOS 2 will be allowed to pair with this running iOS 9. Can't imagine why not. Would open up a whole wider market for ?WATCH since these iPod touches are a lot less expensive than their iPhone counterparts.

I'm excited. Gamers are gonna love these. And they are incredibly thin and light too. Wonder if they have a GPS chip inside. Probably not right? But it does include 802.11ac high speed WiFi.???????? And Bluetooth 4.1????
  • Reply 5 of 173
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Holy freaking crap! The A8? That thing will scream with that low-res (by comparison) screen!

???  It's the same resolution as all retina iPhones bar the 6+

• Reply 6 of 173
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

Refresh my memory on the Touch. I know it doesn't have cellular capability but can it be used with specific apps for VoIP use? If so, I could see it being used within certain businesses in a different manner for communications and corporate applications instead of full iPhones. This configuration might work a lot better than depending on cellular-based phones, especially in buildings with lots of metal that restrict cellular signals but have an adequate corporate WiFi installation. They'd be less expensive and wouldn't have a monthly (over)charge by cellular companies.

• Reply 7 of 173

No TouchId?  Deal breaker.

• Reply 8 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow A8 chip in the iPod Touch. Thought for sure it would be A7.

They've got to be making $127.63 profit per Nano and $47.50 per Shuffle, perhaps that makes up the difference.

• Reply 9 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Refresh my memory on the Touch. I know it doesn't have cellular capability but can it be used with specific apps for VoIP use? If so, I could see it being used within certain businesses in a different manner for communications and corporate applications instead of full iPhones. This configuration might work a lot better than depending on cellular-based phones, especially in buildings with lots of metal that restrict cellular signals but have an adequate corporate WiFi installation. They'd be less expensive and wouldn't have a monthly (over)charge by cellular companies.

Yes.  And it does FaceTime Audio and Video out of the box as well.

• Reply 10 of 173
    In a wifi world you can FaceTime with this or Skype or Google phone. This is a low cost alternative to the iPhone. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 11 of 173
    A little surprised no Touch ID. I thought for sure Apple would want all new iOS devices to have Touch ID.
  • Reply 12 of 173

They've got to be making $127.63 profit per Nano and $47.50 per Shuffle, perhaps that makes up the difference.

Yeah I'm a little surprised no price cut for the nano or shuffle.
  • Reply 13 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

No TouchId?  Deal breaker.

Phil Schiller is crying because he couldn't meet your (and your likely cadre of <10,000 on your side of the line in the sand) requirements.

• Reply 14 of 173
    Quote:

A little surprised no Touch ID. I thought for sure Apple would want all new iOS devices to have Touch ID.

It's the same strategy they used in the old days with the LC; you don't want it to risk stealing sales of higher margin products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Phil Schiller is crying because he couldn't meet your (and your likely cadre of <10,000 on your side of the line in the sand) requirements.

Phil could leave and I sure wouldn't shed a tear. Might get some decent product presentations.

• Reply 15 of 173
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Wow, $199 is a pretty damn good price for the hardware you're getting.

And no Touch ID is to be expected, less important on these as they're not eligible for Apple Pay anyway. That's Apple's main draw in making Touch ID ubiquitous.
  • Reply 16 of 173
    Quote:

I'm not.   I think the iPod is someone's love child, but it's short for this world.  I see this update (and I'm surprised with the A8, but that may tell more about long term retirement of A7... e.g. eliminating the 5s sooner) as a application level setter for gamers.  Other than in-App purchases, touchID is a minor hitch.

The bigger question is whether Watch integrates seamlessly. 

• Reply 17 of 173

It's the same strategy they used in the old days with the LC; you don't want it to risk stealing sales of higher margin products.

Phil could leave and I sure wouldn't shed a tear. Might get some decent product presentations.

Ha! I noticed there is a 32GB option for $249. Because killing the 16GB and offering 32GB for $50 less would break the bank...
  • Reply 18 of 173
    Perfect for kids. The 4 inch screen is just right for smaller hands.
  • Reply 18 of 173
    I'm not.   I think the iPod is someone's love child, but it's short for this world.  I see this update (and I'm surprised with the A8, but that may tell more about long term retirement of A7... e.g. eliminating the 5s sooner) as a application level setter for gamers.  Other than in-App purchases, touchID is a minor hitch.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">The bigger question is whether Watch integrates seamlessly. </span>

Yeah if this is the last update for iPod I guess it makes sense for no Touch ID.
  • Reply 20 of 173
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

128GB would have been impressive a couple of years ago. For $400, the current top model should be 256GB. That would have finally caught up to the old iPod classic capacity. I paid single piece, end user price of $100 for a fast 256GB flash card a year ago.

The days of Apple selling the latest tech are long gone. I know, I know, nobody is supposed to want local storage and everything should be hosted on Apple's servers.